PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Minor magic items of convenience - think toilets

Darth Credence
2022-02-10, 05:42 PM
I am currently working on creating a number of minor magic items that would be in use by the archmage in the capitol city, as well as by the people he gives them to. I want them to mostly be replicating a cantrip, just in a specific manner. Here's the first one I've made:
Credence's Clean Commode

Wondrous Item, common

The heart of the commode is a 1 cubic foot bowl, set beneath a seat that can be opened to access the bowl while sitting comfortably above it. When waste products are introduced to the bowl and the button on top of the unit is pressed, the waste is magically whisked away, leaving behind a perfectly clean bowl. No one is quite sure where it goes, just happy that it is no longer there.

Anything that is not a waste product is unaffected by being placed in the bowl.
Credence is the archmage who created the item. It is a toilet that uses the equivalent of prestidigitation to work. I think it should be common, because even though it is at will, it is a very specific use case of a cantrip.
Second one:
Credence's Climate Clock

Wondrous Item, common

The clock is a wooden box, around four inches high, designed to sit on a shelf or table. Once an hour, the door on the front opens, showing the expected weather for the next 24 hours in the area where the clock is located. Opening the door outside of the regular times will display the weather, but will stop the display from working again for the next 24 hours.

Same kind of deal - uses equivalent of druidcraft to show the weather for the area.

I'm looking to both get feedback on the existing ones, and any ideas for further items that could be made (I'm mulling over how to make Credence's Convenient Cooker or Comestible Chiller work). Thanks for looking.

sandmote
2022-02-11, 11:48 AM
The toilet bowl sounds like something that would be popular, end therefore an old design. Maybe say it only removes flesh and vegetable matter, leaving behind anything else you've placed inside?

The clock sounds more like a prototype than a finished design. I'd expect a finished version to be able to tell the weather at will, forming a stopgap for non-druids who don't have the relevant cantrip.

You can make a cooling "chiller" item off of the Thermal Cube: just leave it inside a bag to have it work like a perpetual ice pack. Not sure what to do with cooking, and Heward's Handy Spice Pouch probably fills most of that niche.

You're also welcome to steal anything from here (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?624470-3-Dozen-Minor-Magic-Items). Some of the items listed are for combat, but there's plenty of utility stuff too. The Springtime Brooch and Food Taster's Cloche in particular I'd expect a noble family to have.

Darth Credence
2022-02-11, 03:30 PM
The toilet bowl sounds like something that would be popular, end therefore an old design. Maybe say it only removes flesh and vegetable matter, leaving behind anything else you've placed inside?

The clock sounds more like a prototype than a finished design. I'd expect a finished version to be able to tell the weather at will, forming a stopgap for non-druids who don't have the relevant cantrip.

You can make a cooling "chiller" item off of the Thermal Cube: just leave it inside a bag to have it work like a perpetual ice pack. Not sure what to do with cooking, and Heward's Handy Spice Pouch probably fills most of that niche.

You're also welcome to steal anything from here (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?624470-3-Dozen-Minor-Magic-Items). Some of the items listed are for combat, but there's plenty of utility stuff too. The Springtime Brooch and Food Taster's Cloche in particular I'd expect a noble family to have.

That's a great list of stuff, thanks! I will absolutely be using some of it.

For the commode, by "waste" I mean bodily waste, what you would put in a toilet. I may need to reword to get it right. Thanks for the feedback.

Steven K
2022-02-16, 09:17 AM
Not a cantrip, but the only thing stopping the Tenser Corporation from making Floating Disk-based push carts, horse- (or whatever)-drawn carriages, omnibuses, trucks, magnet rail-style trains, etc., heck, probably elevators too, with a bit of work, is the time limit on the spell. I'm sure some enterprising Artificer is working on an Arcanotech solution as we speak.