PDA

View Full Version : Ranger conclave, but different base class fairness?

Deathslayer7
2022-02-11, 10:13 AM
Some background. I want to play a Beastmaster ranger 2.0V that can be found here (https://www.gmbinder.com/share/-LW4mwkl1RfhNcctC73_). I love the idea behind the beastmaster. I hate the idea of using the ranger as the base class. This topic isn't trying to go into that debate though. I asked my DM if I could use a different base class plus use the ranger conclave as well. He told me to come up with some fair ideas and he will take a look at it. So I've come up with 3 ideas, and wanted to get feedback on it. I'm not looking at any other classes at the moment.

1) Fighter base class. I would use the beast master ranger conclave instead of the fighter archetype. The fighter benefits from their archetype at levels 3, 7, 10, and 15 would be ignored. Instead I would get the Beastmaster conclave benefits at levels 3, 7, 11, and 15. Companion only, no magic. We would probably house rule it where I could revive them after a short or long rest (TBD).

2) Druid base class. I would use the beast master ranger conclave instead of the druid circles. The druid benefits from their circle at levels 2, 8, 10, and 14 would be ignored. Instead I would get the Beastmaster conclave benefits at levels 3, 7, 11, and 15. Companion and magic spells would be wisdom based. Add in the spell that lets me revive the beast with 1/2 health.

3) Cleric. This is where I'm struggling the most on how to make a fair balance. I've had two ideas and need to figure out how fair each is.
a) Get rid of all divine domain/Channel divinity/Divine intervention, etc. Instead of getting those benefits, I would gain the benefits of the Beastmaster conclave.
b) Delay spellcasting progression by 1 or 2 levels.

Mastikator
2022-02-11, 10:21 AM
Fighter seems more fair. Druid would be kinda OP IMO, if I were the DM I'd throw in "and you can't wild shape" if you were to go the druid route.

Leon
2022-02-11, 11:49 AM
Druid. No wild shape but you can use its "allotment" of uses to Revive or Heal the pet (as if spending a Hitdice for it)

Deathslayer7
2022-02-11, 12:21 PM
Druid. No wild shape but you can use its "allotment" of uses to Revive or Heal the pet (as if spending a Hitdice for it)

I do like this over no wild shape.

Wild shape allotment can only be used to revive or heal the pet, as if spending hit dice. Heals 1/2 my druid level, rounded down, in hit dice. Action to use this. Refreshes on a short or long rest.