PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Methods of determining a 1st level commoners ability scores

Arcanist
2022-02-11, 11:04 AM
I do not mean when generating a character. I mean in actual play, is there a way to determine a creatures Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Wisdom, and Charisma? Intelligence is determined by Detect Thoughts, but figuring out the other ability scores is a sense more troublesome without killing them or seriously injuring them.

loky1109
2022-02-11, 11:11 AM
Armwrestling for Str.
Don't remember source, maybe 3.0 DMG. Maybe 3.5.
Armwrestling is about comparison of Str without checks. Check will do only in the case of tie.

halojace
2022-02-11, 11:11 AM
Strength can be measured by simply having the commoner lift things until you find their max load

Arcanist
2022-02-11, 11:25 AM
Armwrestling for Str.
Don't remember source, maybe 3.0 DMG. Maybe 3.5.
Armwrestling is about comparison of Str without checks. Check will do only in the case of tie.

If you can find a source for this, I'd appreciate it. Otherwise, measuring maximum and minimum load is the most effective.

According to Doctor Despair, you can use Know Greatest Foe (Paladin ACF) and give everyone in the room a Wand of a harmful spell (acid splash for example), and repeatedly make use of it, each time filtering out the person that pings it to create a sort of tiering system for each applicant. This essentially resolves Charisma.

halojace
2022-02-11, 11:29 AM
Having them take 10 on spot checks at varying distances covers Wisdom fairly well

emulord
2022-02-11, 12:21 PM
For dexterity, throw harmless mudballs at them without armor and measure the hit rate vs expected AC. Hope they don't have the Dodge feat!

The problem with spot checks is that its conceivable they have skill ranks in Spot.

Biggus
2022-02-11, 12:53 PM
If you can find a source for this, I'd appreciate it. Otherwise, measuring maximum and minimum load is the most effective.

It's in the PHB:

In some cases, an action is a straight test of one’s ability with no luck involved. Just as you wouldn’t make a height check to see who is taller, you don’t make a Strength check to see who is stronger. When two characters arm wrestle, for example, the stronger character simply wins. In the case of identical scores, roll a die.

Edit: there's a list below this quote which gives examples of non-skill-related ability checks, such as holding your breath for Constitution.

Silva Stormrage
2022-02-11, 12:57 PM
If you have some way of inflicting ability damage at will and a bed of restoration (restoration at will item found in the stronghold builders guide) you could inflict a single point of ability damage to a particular stat repeatedly until they are knocked out/paralyzed. That works for every ability score.

Well it works for constitution but I think it would be better to find an alternative one there XD.

MornShine
2022-02-11, 01:00 PM
Con can be measured by drowning, provided that you can detect when a creature starts making DC 10 con saves.

You should be able to do that by casting guidance and using detect magic to determine when the buff ends.