PDA

View Full Version : Need help with character "codename"

Snig
2022-02-11, 12:48 PM
Hey guys, looking to get some creative juices flowing. I'm playing an Aberrant Mind Sorceress who was created in a lab and raised by a nefarious institute to harnesses her power (think eleven from stranger things)

I'm trying to come up with a cool sounding codename for her that the institute would have given her. Weapon X is an example of what I have in mind, as well as Elon Musks kid "X Æ A-Xii"

If Elon Musk can do it then so can we 🙃.

Any ideas guys and girls?

p.s worth mentioning that she's a female character.

Keltest
2022-02-11, 12:54 PM
Unit Alpha

The Device

Subject One/X/A/Z

Athan Artilliam
2022-02-11, 01:20 PM
Hey guys, looking to get some creative juices flowing. I'm playing an Aberrant Mind Sorceress who was created in a lab and raised by a nefarious institute to harnesses her power (think eleven from stranger things)

I'm trying to come up with a cool sounding codename for her that the institute would have given her. Weapon X is an example of what I have in mind, as well as Elon Musks kid "X Æ A-Xii"

If Elon Musk can do it then so can we 🙃.

Any ideas guys and girls?

p.s worth mentioning that she's a female character.

So... Elfen Lied?

Snig
2022-02-11, 01:21 PM
So... Elfen Lied?

Googling now....

Dalinar
2022-02-11, 01:34 PM
Could also go the fun-with-acronyms route.

For example: she is the Mind-Enslavement and Neurological Shutdown Project, or M.E.N.S. Project for short. But her friends call her Mensie!

Athan Artilliam
2022-02-11, 01:43 PM
Could also go the fun-with-acronyms route.

For example: she is the Mind-Enslavement and Neurological Shutdown Project, or M.E.N.S. Project for short. But her friends call her Mensie!

Mind
Enhancement
Neurological
Sorcery
Integrated
Subject

Snig
2022-02-11, 02:03 PM
Mind
Enhancement
Neurological
Sorcery
Integrated
Subject

I like where this is going! Getting some ideas. I like the name Esme..... Thinking E.S.M.E vii

E.....S...... M (mind) E (enhancement)

Need some ideas for the the E and S

Burley
2022-02-11, 02:03 PM
I have a warforged paladin called The Unit. When it introduces itself, it puts a short pause between "The" and "Unit": "This unit is called The__Unit." It decided it didn't want to call itself The 'Last' Unit, anymore.

Maybe your character was dubbed a failed experiment, but their label was damaged and they go by "iled Ex." Or something like that. I guess I'm just saying that, sometimes, the part we don't see is the most interesting and allows room for backstory to become currentstory.

KorvinStarmast
2022-02-11, 02:20 PM
Aberrant Mind Sorceress who was created in a lab and raised by a nefarious institute to harnesses her power (think eleven from stranger things)
EVA

Experimental Volatile Arcanist
Experimental Variable Arcanist
Experimental, Volition, Arcane

Unoriginal
2022-02-11, 03:08 PM
I like where this is going! Getting some ideas. I like the name Esme..... Thinking E.S.M.E vii

Extra Sensorial.

Like in ESP.

KorvinStarmast
2022-02-11, 03:16 PM
ALICE

Arcane Lifeform, Individual Casting, Experimental

Psyren
2022-02-11, 04:00 PM

Experimental Subject

KorvinStarmast
2022-02-11, 04:06 PM
Experimental Subject ESMERELDA
Experimental Subject, Mind Enhancement, Rapid Employment, Live Droid, Arcanist

MARIE
Multifunction Arcanist, Robust Independent Emulation

Snig
2022-02-11, 04:09 PM
ALICE

Arcane Lifeform, Individual Casting, Experimental

I actually had something similar is a cyberpunk game I played! Her name was

A.L.I.C.E

Artificial Lifeform, Intelligent, Cybernetic, Entity

JLandan
2022-02-11, 04:38 PM

Enhanced Sorcerous Mind Entity
Enhanced Sorcerous Mind Experiment
Experimental Sorcerous Mind Equation
Experimental Sentient Mutant Entity
Enhanced Sentient Mutation Experiment

Athan Artilliam
2022-02-11, 04:40 PM

Lavaeolus
2022-02-11, 04:42 PM
I might ask what her exact relationship with the institute was. They wanted to harness her power, so were they intending to use her as agent of sorts? This would ultimately need some degree of both loyalty and obedience, so she might very well have an actual "name" (depending on the view of whoever's in charge). If they did have a specific purpose for an agent, that might also inform it.

Or was this more of a test subject / observer relationship? Then you might pick a name deliberately intended to dehumanise the person: Subject Delta, Eleven, Agent 47, etc.

And, of course, people being what they are, individual researchers might come up with their own nicknames. The star of Project Evolution becomes 'Evie' to the person doing her psych evals, and maybe it catches on. A kid seems shy so a researcher starts calling them Mouse. Subject VII becomes... Vii (pronounced V, to make things needlessly confusing). Etc.

I might just be spinning my wheels here, since I don't have any real suggestions. But it could be an opportunity to hint at, or at least tie in with, some more specific details of her backstory.

JLandan
2022-02-11, 04:42 PM
Here's a really sexist one...

Constructed Hyper-Intelligent Creature Killer

Athan Artilliam
2022-02-11, 04:46 PM
Aberrant
Intelligent
Experiment

Abbie

Snig
2022-02-11, 04:58 PM
Enhanced Sorcerous Mind Experiment
Experimental Sorcerous Mind Equation
Experimental Sentient Mutant Entity
Enhanced Sentient Mutation Experiment

I think we have a winner!! These are great, thanks dude! 👍

JLandan
2022-02-11, 06:34 PM
I think we have a winner!! These are great, thanks dude! 👍

Which one?

Or use them all and have her switch every time she talks to a different person.

Snig
2022-02-11, 06:39 PM
Think I'll go with enhanced sorceress mind experiment

JLandan
2022-02-11, 07:07 PM
Think I'll go with enhanced sorceress mind experiment

Besides Esme, it could also be Ensominex.

Sigreid
2022-02-11, 07:56 PM
Someone else went down a similar road I was thinking. May. Magic Amplification Youth