PDA

View Full Version : Occultist Arcanist LV10 Advice (Pathfinder)

Nosta
2022-02-11, 01:32 PM
First off have never played a strait caster build before. Second I always wanted to do summoning type build.

I really like the feel of the occultist Arcanist and think it's the best fit for me

Race: ?? Any Besides Human
Feats ???
Spells to Start with that really matter??

Tips for playing said character in combat ?

vasilidor
2022-02-13, 03:59 AM
Any race that does not have a penalty to intelligence is viable for this class. Even some races with a penalty to intelligence can be played if you want to go for a challenge. Otherwise Elf is good. The +2 to intelligence and the +2 to overcome spell resistance is nice. Is this the best possible? no, absolutely not.

As far as feats go, Unless you are ok with math and your DM is OK with it, avoid Sacred Geometry. And by OK with math, I mean actually pretty good with it.
Improved Initiative, Spell Focus Conjuration and Augment Summoning would be good choices for feats - Improved Initiative means you go first more often and Augment Summoning means the monsters you summon with your magic are stronger. Yes I know you get more feats then that, but these would be a good starting point.

A handful of good to know spells and prepare from each level would be as follows:
0: Detect magic, message, daze
1: Alarm, Obscuring mist, Color spray
2: GlitterDust, Web, Dark vision
3: Stinking cloud, Haste, Tongues
4: Dimension Door, Arcane Eye, Enervation
5: Wall of stone, Hold Monster, Break Enchantment

you would use your ability to summon monsters though your arcane reservoir to create meat shields between you and your enemies or flanking buddies for your fighters and rogues. you have multiple options for crowd control for when you are out numbered to keep from being overwhelmed and hasting your parties fighters and rogues is always a good idea. For particularly hard targets that the party is having difficulties with try using Enervation or hold monster on them. Arcane Eye is great for scouting ahead in dungeons.