PDA

View Full Version : Speculation How much would it affect the game if you could cast touch spells at range?

redmordred
2022-02-11, 01:47 PM
Would it be gamebreaking to be able to cast it from 10 feet away? 20? 30? 60?

What about melee spell attacks such as Primal Savagery (+10') or Thorn Whip (60')? Or touch spells like Spare the Dying and Cure Wounds?

Would you restrict it from being a racial ability at 30, 20, or just 10 feet. What if it was just an additional or extra 10 feet added to the spell range?

Would you only allow it on a subclass ability? At what level?

What if it required to only be on your turn instead of whenever you cast? Or extend the length whenever but it would a cost your bonus action? Your reaction?

Please tell me your thoughts on the situation.

I, personally, don't think it would be super broken at 10' or 20'. I think a restriction would be great at 30 feet, especially if you went with the additional 10' option. I don't think 60 additional feat would be great to propose in a game, but I'm interested in what could be.

JLandan
2022-02-11, 07:05 PM
I don't think it would be broken, but I would not allow it at my table.

At character creation and advancement, even at each combat, a caster must choose to get into the mix or stay back to blast and aid. Or be mobile and switch it up.

With this rule no caster need ever bother to get into the mix.

I would allow creatures with reach to melee spell attack at their reach, which I think is a standard rule anyway. Also, just a house rule, I have allowed a Battlemaster to use Lunging Attack with a melee spell attack, though it does state weapon attack in its description.

JackPhoenix
2022-02-11, 07:58 PM
*cough* Distant Spell metamagic *cough*

Willowhelm
2022-02-11, 08:10 PM

*cough*familiars*cough*

Psyren
2022-02-12, 11:07 AM

*cough*familiars*cough*

+1. Ranged touch spells aren't broken but they should require some kind of investment from the caster.

DarknessEternal
2022-02-12, 03:44 PM
It would make the strong stronger, which is usually the wrong way to do things.

Kane0
2022-02-12, 04:24 PM
There are ways to do it already (metamagic, familiar, trickery cleric), though perhaps I would sprinkle in a few more like for example an Artificer Infusion.

lukethecat2003
2022-02-12, 05:57 PM
Would it be gamebreaking to be able to cast it from 10 feet away? 20? 30? 60?

What about melee spell attacks such as Primal Savagery (+10') or Thorn Whip (60')? Or touch spells like Spare the Dying and Cure Wounds?

Would you restrict it from being a racial ability at 30, 20, or just 10 feet. What if it was just an additional or extra 10 feet added to the spell range?

Would you only allow it on a subclass ability? At what level?

What if it required to only be on your turn instead of whenever you cast? Or extend the length whenever but it would a cost your bonus action? Your reaction?

Please tell me your thoughts on the situation.

I, personally, don't think it would be super broken at 10' or 20'. I think a restriction would be great at 30 feet, especially if you went with the additional 10' option. I don't think 60 additional feat would be great to propose in a game, but I'm interested in what could be.

Cure wounds is the only thing i can see being affected massively tbh, although im not a long time player, so that might be why. Makes it more viable and an actual choice as to healing word. Action sucks, but now its just that trade off.

KorvinStarmast
2022-02-12, 06:44 PM
How much would it affect the game if you could cast touch spells at range? why don't you play test it and report the results here?
If they'd have wanted those spells to have a range they'd have given them one. Most spells do have a range.