PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder: dark vision vs shadow blend.

Scottlang
2022-02-12, 03:23 AM
Hey guys it's been a while.

I'm running a game called Midnight Mirror, and I've run into a conundrum.
The game is based in a demi plane of shadow and it has fetchlings and Shae in there all have a super natural ability called shadow blend.
Now some of my players have dark vision.

Now shadow blend tags as follows: Attacks against a fetchling in dim light have a 50% miss chance instead of the normal 20% miss chance. This ability does not grant total concealment; it just increases the miss chance.

Now would dark vision counter act the miss chance of them??

I'm not trying to **** the players over, I would just like to give them a fun, but stick with the machanics of the game...

Thanks again guys, and happy gaming.

Kurald Galain
2022-02-12, 04:02 AM
Yes. Darkvision negates the concealment check in dim light. It doesn't matter if that check is 20% or 50%.

Eldonauran
2022-02-13, 01:19 PM
Yes. Darkvision negates the concealment check in dim light. It doesn't matter if that check is 20% or 50%.
This is correct. Though, you might use a bit of Rule 0 on the issue and just give them the base 20% miss chance for the characters with dark vision. Might incentivize some of those players to invest in the Blindfight feat.

Fouredged Sword
2022-02-15, 10:10 AM
Hey guys it's been a while.

I'm running a game called Midnight Mirror, and I've run into a conundrum.
The game is based in a demi plane of shadow and it has fetchlings and Shae in there all have a super natural ability called shadow blend.
Now some of my players have dark vision.

Now shadow blend tags as follows: Attacks against a fetchling in dim light have a 50% miss chance instead of the normal 20% miss chance. This ability does not grant total concealment; it just increases the miss chance.

Now would dark vision counter act the miss chance of them??

I'm not trying to **** the players over, I would just like to give them a fun, but stick with the machanics of the game...

Thanks again guys, and happy gaming.

A thematic solution to this is the spell shadowmind if you still want your darkvisioned players to struggle with the miss chance. Hit them with it and it turns off dark vision for anyone who falls the willsave. It also means that normal light sources appear dimmer than normal, so people under the effect see light as one level darker than normal.