PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Divine soul sorcerer

Nalistri
2022-02-12, 04:08 AM
Hi everyone so Im joining a campaign the thing is the group doesnt have a wizard or a cleric so I chose divine soul to try cover both battlefield control and picking people up off the ground. Im just wanting to run my plans by you. I plan to take careful spell and twinned as metamagic

V. Human torn between taking magic init for mage armour or Fey touched for gift of alacrity (I think being able to strike the enemy before they get a chance to do anything is always go but sorcerers can only learn so many spells)
Divine soul Neutral good bonus spell

1 healing word, sleep, bonus cure wounds
2 healing word, sleep, bonus, shield/mage armour,learn guiding bolt swapping out cure wounds (drop cure wounds)
3 healing word, sleep, bonus, shield/mage armour, guiding bolt, web
4 healing word, sleep, bonus, shield/mage armour, guiding bolt, web,aid
5 counterspell, hypnotic pattern, healing word, bonus, shield/mage armour, guiding bolt, web,aid (drop sleep for hypnotic pattern)
6 torn between picking up absorb elements or haste here we have two people who would benefit from haste but im things like a breath weapon or lightning bolt i doubt i could dodge which could drop conc on other spells
7 Polymorph
8 Raulothim's Psychic Lance or deathward
9 Sypnatic static or holy weapon
10 wall of stone or mass curewounds (possibly dropping healing word at this point_

Any advice is appreciated

Khrysaes
2022-02-12, 04:15 AM
You can take 1 level of life cleric for mmedium or heavy armor and shield prof, to boost your healing, and always have bless, healing word, cure wounds available that dont take your sorcerer spells known. They lost some effectiveness because they will be wisdom based, but it shouldnt be too much.

I am a big fan of spiritual weapon and spirit guardians, guardians is both control in an aoe slow and damage.

Nalistri
2022-02-12, 04:46 AM
You can take 1 level of life cleric for mmedium or heavy armor and shield prof, to boost your healing, and always have bless, healing word, cure wounds available that dont take your sorcerer spells known. They lost some effectiveness because they will be wisdom based, but it shouldnt be too much.

I am a big fan of spiritual weapon and spirit guardians, guardians is both control in an aoe slow and damage.

But isnt a 1 level dip a big sacrifice especially at early levels? in terms of spell progression spirit weapon is good but i dont know if i would have the AC to really use spirit guardians

Rashagar
2022-02-12, 04:48 AM
1 level of cleric just does so much for a sorcerer, I always feel.
Minimum medium armour + shield proficiency, meaning you don't need to take mage armour and free up a spell known slot.
2-3 extra actual spells known, choosing between emergency healing spells, bless, and cheaply twinnable buffs.
Subclass feature right out the gate.

*Edit*
The other option I sometimes take is 1 level of bard.

Multiclassing slows down your acquisition of high level spells, but you still get the high level slots, so it just means at character level 5, 7 etc I like to have a spell that upcasts nicely. But it is a trade-off.

Khrysaes
2022-02-12, 05:41 AM
But isnt a 1 level dip a big sacrifice especially at early levels? in terms of spell progression spirit weapon is good but i dont know if i would have the AC to really use spirit guardians

It depends on what you value. In terms of spell slots you would be exactly the same. In terms of spells known, the highest level of spell you cast is 1 level behind.

Assuming you want to start Sorcerer for the Con Save Proficiency, level 2 taking 1 cleric, instead of level 3, at level 4 you would learn second level spells, 6 for third, 8 for fourth, etc. However, as mentioned you can always upcast.

That said, with 1 level of cleric, which is a prepared caster, you gain 3 cantrips and at least 4 1st level spells, 2 of which are bless and cure wounds. These can be used to free spell known slots for your Sorcerer spells. As mentioned, Medium armor and shield, at highest without magic items is 18 ac, which is probably better than you can get with mage armor, so 1 spell known. You can dodge in spirit guardians to give enemies disadvantage. Bless is another you wouldn't have to take. So that is two. You can then take absorb elements.

You can prepare spells like detect magic, which you can then cast as a ritual which sorcerers can't do, and/or healing word, only losing at most 4hp (13 wis vs 20 cha), but freeing up another spell known for your sorcerer.

You can also use the cleric cantrips for non-ability score-based ones such as guidance, message, light, thaumaturgy, spare the dying, allowing you to take some that use spellcasting ability like firebolt on your sorcerer so you have a reliable damage spell. or just more versatility through spells like mage hand, minor illusion, shape water, etc.

Again, it is based on what you value more.

Edit: another option is 1 level (Or 2) of Warlock. The... is it classic at this point?... Hexblade also gives you medium armor and shields, and short rest spell slots for an additional first level spell or sorcery points. The real benefit are extra spells known, so a bit less versatile than cleric, and Eldritch blast, probably the best offensive cantrip in the game.

Nalistri
2022-02-12, 06:17 AM
It depends on what you value. In terms of spell slots you would be exactly the same. In terms of spells known, the highest level of spell you cast is 1 level behind.

Assuming you want to start Sorcerer for the Con Save Proficiency, level 2 taking 1 cleric, instead of level 3, at level 4 you would learn second level spells, 6 for third, 8 for fourth, etc. However, as mentioned you can always upcast.

That said, with 1 level of cleric, which is a prepared caster, you gain 3 cantrips and at least 4 1st level spells, 2 of which are bless and cure wounds. These can be used to free spell known slots for your Sorcerer spells. As mentioned, Medium armor and shield, at highest without magic items is 18 ac, which is probably better than you can get with mage armor, so 1 spell known. You can dodge in spirit guardians to give enemies disadvantage. Bless is another you wouldn't have to take. So that is two. You can then take absorb elements.

You can prepare spells like detect magic, which you can then cast as a ritual which sorcerers can't do, and/or healing word, only losing at most 4hp (13 wis vs 20 cha), but freeing up another spell known for your sorcerer.

You can also use the cleric cantrips for non-ability score-based ones such as guidance, message, light, thaumaturgy, spare the dying, allowing you to take some that use spellcasting ability like firebolt on your sorcerer so you have a reliable damage spell. or just more versatility through spells like mage hand, minor illusion, shape water, etc.

Again, it is based on what you value more.

Edit: another option is 1 level (Or 2) of Warlock. The... is it classic at this point?... Hexblade also gives you medium armor and shields, and short rest spell slots for an additional first level spell or sorcery points. The real benefit are extra spells known, so a bit less versatile than cleric, and Eldritch blast, probably the best offensive cantrip in the game.

Its difficult because Im trying to juggle between being the only one who can pick people up when they fall down and preventing damage with spells like web and hypnotic or sleep would probably have to wait till 4th level to make the dip what do you think?

stoutstien
2022-02-12, 06:20 AM
Spell limits for any sorcerer is a hard line to toe and DS doubles down on that. You really have to cherry pick the best spells for your party and campaign and be ready to adjust it. They turn into a really powerful option after they get past the choke point with spells known the first few levels. As others have suggested a dip in most casting classes can net you some breathing room but if you don't want to go that route you can just grab all the spell adding feats. Would delay your ability score maxing out a tad but not as huge deal for you.

You party should also have redundancies in place so you aren't the only one that is handling control and mitigation/recovery. One player can do it but it also sets the party up for a death spiral if you are temporarily unavailable. Which might be common if you are sitting in the middle healing, dropping CC, and buffing.

Spells I would consider sniping off the cleric's list are ones that work well with meta magic like aid and sanctuary.
If you play into the later levels you will probably take advantage of the way the class handles summons and bindings.

Nalistri
2022-02-12, 06:39 AM
Spell limits for any sorcerer is a hard line to toe and DS doubles down on that. You really have to cherry pick the best spells for your party and campaign and be ready to adjust it. They turn into a really powerful option after they get past the choke point with spells known the first few levels. As others have suggested a dip in most casting classes can net you some breathing room but if you don't want to go that route you can just grab all the spell adding feats. Would delay your ability score maxing out a tad but not as huge deal for you.

You party should also have redundancies in place so you aren't the only one that is handling control and mitigation/recovery. One player can do it but it also sets the party up for a death spiral if you are temporarily unavailable. Which might be common if you are sitting in the middle healing, dropping CC, and buffing.

Spells I would consider sniping off the cleric's list are ones that work well with meta magic like aid and sanctuary.
If you play into the later levels you will probably take advantage of the way the class handles summons and bindings.

Unfortunately there really isnt someone else we have a Barbarian, fighter and rogue and then myself.I had forgotten about sanctuary that is really good.

Khrysaes
2022-02-12, 06:45 AM
Its difficult because Im trying to juggle between being the only one who can pick people up when they fall down and preventing damage with spells like web and hypnotic or sleep would probably have to wait till 4th level to make the dip what do you think?

What level are you starting? Starting rules? Attribute points? Items?

Other than spells, the main reason to have cleric early is the Armor and shield proficiency. If you are okay putting that off, then yeah, I would actually recommend after 5, 6, or 8.

You can always swap out your sorcerer spells when you level up

Nalistri
2022-02-12, 06:49 AM
What level are you starting? Starting rules? Attribute points? Items?

Other than spells, the main reason to have cleric early is the Armor and shield proficiency. If you are okay putting that off, then yeah, I would actually recommend after 5, 6, or 8.

You can always swap out your sorcerer spells when you level up

Level 1 i dont think we get anything besides basic background items

stoutstien
2022-02-12, 06:55 AM
Unfortunately there really isnt someone else we have a Barbarian, fighter and rogue and then myself.I had forgotten about sanctuary that is really good.

Mitigation doesn't have any class requirements. The healer feat is a pile of saved spells slots and/or actions at the cost of a feat which both fighters and rogues haves extra laying about. the inspiring leader feat is also a cheap option even with the minimum Cha. Also make sure the barbarian, and to a lesser extent the three others, understand they can't just face tank challenges. You don't have the restoration resources for that.
**Unless your DM allows the Tasha extended class spell options to apply so to can extend an aura of vitality with a life cleric dip. Add on an extended aid from the day before and you probably could have the party face tank challenges**

Some powerful sublcass options available as well like AG or RK that can help reduce the chances of getting in trouble but IDK how much your table is willing to 'sacrifice' to the mitigation game.

Mastikator
2022-02-12, 07:02 AM

You delay your highest level spell for many spells prepared, vastly stronger healing, armor. I'd say it's a huge bump. One of sorcerer's biggest weakness is lack of spells known, this actually really helps with that.

Maan
2022-02-13, 06:05 AM
Mitigation doesn't have any class requirements. The healer feat is a pile of saved spells slots and/or actions at the cost of a feat which both fighters and rogues haves extra laying about.
A Thief Rogue can be an especially effective combat medic thanks to Fast Hands.

Also, you could consider Druid: it has control and healing built in.