PDA

View Full Version : Creating Custom Maps For Roll20

Melphizard
2022-02-12, 12:04 PM
Hey there!

As a DM who primarily runs their games on Roll20 for people from various parts of the world, I've run a lot of encounters. Typically, I can find a good patreon with some snowy forest or coastal battle map should I need it; however, I'm beginning to get to the point in my SKT campaign where I'll need more custom maps to run the various things the party may encounter whilst traveling Faerune. If anybody has some good advice for how or where to make decent battle maps for Roll20 use I'd appreciate it. My primary concern is being able to get maps for places that are indoors. There's plenty of good outdoorsy maps but dungeon, tavern, or cave battle maps are still somewhat tricky to find.

Notes -
1: I'm not much of an artist nor do I have any experience drawing much more than a stick figure
2: I've recently taken to using Freecam in the game Mount and Blade: Bannerlords to steal photos of its beautiful landscapes for various wilderness battle maps.

PhoenixPhyre
2022-02-12, 01:35 PM
Hey there!

As a DM who primarily runs their games on Roll20 for people from various parts of the world, I've run a lot of encounters. Typically, I can find a good patreon with some snowy forest or coastal battle map should I need it; however, I'm beginning to get to the point in my SKT campaign where I'll need more custom maps to run the various things the party may encounter whilst traveling Faerune. If anybody has some good advice for how or where to make decent battle maps for Roll20 use I'd appreciate it. My primary concern is being able to get maps for places that are indoors. There's plenty of good outdoorsy maps but dungeon, tavern, or cave battle maps are still somewhat tricky to find.

Notes -
1: I'm not much of an artist nor do I have any experience drawing much more than a stick figure
2: I've recently taken to using Freecam in the game Mount and Blade: Bannerlords to steal photos of its beautiful landscapes for various wilderness battle maps.

I use dungeondraft for a bunch of more "pretty" maps, or dungeon scrawl for old school looking, simpler ones. The first costs for a download, the other is a free web app.

ender241
2022-02-12, 03:39 PM
I like RPG Map Editor 2 by deepnight games. It's pretty intuitive and you definitely don't have to be an artist to use it. Works well for indoor or outdoor maps. The lighting / fog features can take a simple, bare bones map and make it look very polished. And it's completely free to use for personal use.