PDA

View Full Version : How viable would it be to use these weapons with dual wielding?

samcifer
2022-02-12, 02:57 PM
So the first idea is to take dual wielding as well as 2 weapon fighting, then take Spears and/or quarterstaffs 2 of either or 1 of each). I'd also get pm as a feat for oas against approaching enemies, and using dw and 2wf for higher damage on my ba attacks. Would this work as a valid tactic (I know it's odd and uses several asis, but it's more about flavor than practicality.

Second idea is to be a monk who dual wields whips (gaining proficiency via a feat or 1 level of fighter, and getting the dw feat). 3 attacks with reach per turn without being an Astral self monk and 10 ft. reach if I was a bugbear. Again. More for the fun factor than practicality. I say monk because at lvl. 6, monks can do a d6 of damage with a whip via martial arts and higher damage dice at later levels.

Just curious as to whether these are legal playstyles or not.

JackPhoenix
2022-02-12, 07:08 PM
Legal? Sure. Reasonable? Eh.

For the first example, you're getting 1d6 instead of 1d4 and +1 AC (or -1 AC if you'd be using a shield instead) over using just PAM with vastly larger resource expenditure.

Whip is not a monk weapon, so it doesn't scale with MA unless you're a kensei and pick whip (Dedicated Weapon works for a specific weapon, not weapon type, and Martial Arts doesn't work at all if you use non-monk weapon... like the other whip).

Leon
2022-02-12, 07:50 PM
If it does what you want it to do its viable, particularly if it fits the idea you have for the character, if you going for mechanically powerful prob not as much.

I've an slight idea for a character wielding a spear and longsword but haven't settled on what class i'd like them to be, such is the way of making cool characters inspired from art.