PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Homebrew Class - Channeler (aka Multiclasser)

SpitnWhittle
2022-02-13, 01:09 PM
UPDATE: I've discussed some issues and exploits with my friend, and a V2.0 is already in the works. It will be a halfcaster, for starters. In addition, the channeled soul will likely share your HP. We found a level 5 Fighter was significantly more powerful and versatile than a CR 1 Brown Bear with 5 HD. Thus, stay tuned for an update.

+++++

Hey everybody, this class idea came to me as a result of playing a Reborn Warlock, who had another soul riding along in the backseat of his body. I've used Mask of Many Faces to adopt the visage of the soul passenger while roleplaying with PCs who knew him. The desire to make these interactions with soul #2 more impactful and genuine, as well as the desire to get into melee occasionally, led me to the design of this class. This is V3, and is very nearly a straight up Druid who wildshapes into people instead of animals.

This class is designed for people like me who can never decide which class to take, and often end up spread too thin by multiclassing. This class IS a multiclass, and requires more prep work than any other class in the game. I have also designed the first Channeler subclass, the Resident Soul. Essentially you are two characters in the same body. You are limited to Channeling (Wild Shaping) into your resident soul only. Other subclasses will be able to take full advantage of the ability to channel literally any race/class/background combination with a full spell list. Those subclasses have yet to be designed, but I will borrow heavily from Druid Circle of the Shepherd, and Barbarian Path of the Ancestral Guardian as they are thematically similar to the channeling concept.

Okay, here goes. Forgive me as I relearn how to format in forums like this. I'll try to improve the readability of this post over time. Your constructive criticism of the homebrew content, my writing, and my formatting are all greatly appreciated.

Channeler

Class Features
Hit Dice: d8
Proficiencies
Armor: Light armor
Weapons: Simple weapons
Tools: None
Saving Throws: WIS, CHA
Skills: Choose two from Arcana, Deception, Insight, Intimidation, Persuasion, and Religion
Equipment:
You start with the following equipment, in addition to the equipment granted by your background:
(a) a light crossbow and 20 bolts or (b) any simple weapon
(a) a component pouch or (b) an arcane, divine, or druidic focus
(a) a dungeoneer's pack or (b) an explorer's pack
Two daggers

Spellcasting
Drawing on the inherent power of your own soul and those around you, you can cast spells to bolster, hinder, or command souls.

Channeler Spells
The spells available to you are on the Channeler Spell List. For every spell, the flavor text should be modified to state that the magical effect produced is a result of you influencing souls, and those souls influencing the material plane.

Spell Slots
The Channeler table shows how many spell slots you have to cast your Channeler spells of 1st level and higher. To cast one of these Channeler spells, you must expend a slot of the spell’s level or higher. You regain all expended spell slots when you finish a long rest.

Spells Known
At 1st level, you know two cantrips and three level one spells. You learn a new spell every time you gain a level in this class. The spell must be of a level for which you have spell slots. Every time you gain a level in this class, you may replace one spell you know with another on the Channeler Spell List. You learn a new Cantrip at levels 4 and 10.

Preparing Spells
You prepare the list of Channeler spells that are available for you to cast, choosing from the Channeler spell list. When you do so, choose a number of Channeler spells equal to your CHA modifier + your Channeler level (minimum of one spell). The spells must be of a level for which you have spell slots.
You can also change your list of prepared spells when you finish a long rest. Preparing a new list of Channeler spells requires time spent in meditation: at least 1 minute per spell level for each spell on your list.

Spellcasting Ability
CHA is your spellcasting ability for all Channeler class features.

Channeler Archetype
Choose a Channeler Archetype, which describes the source of your Channeling. Your choice grants you features when you choose it at 1st level and again at 6th, 14th, and 18th level. Choose from the following list: Resident Soul, Soul Shepherd.

Channeler Archetype: Resident Soul
Your body is inhabited by another soul in addition to your own. You have the reins, but the other is always waiting, always watching, ready to take control when given the opportunity.

Create your resident soul as you would a new character, (race, background, class) with its own character sheet. Your resident soul gains level over time, and always has a number of levels equal to 2 + ½ your Channeler level, rounded down.

Vigilant Soul - Level 2
Your resident soul is always ready. When channeling your resident soul, you can do so as a bonus action. Additionally, while using Soul Surrender, you can use a bonus action to expend one spell slot to regain 1d8 hit points per level of spell slot consumed.

Familiar Soul - Level 2
Your resident soul is the only soul you can channel, but you’re very good at it. You are considered 4 level higher when determining which Channeling features are available to you on the Channeling Table. In addition, when choosing which proficiencies, class features, or spells you gain while channeling, your choices are limited to those possessed by your resident soul. When using Manifest Might or Manifest Mind, do not use the ability scores listed on the Channeling Table. Instead, use the ability scores of your resident soul.

Soul Imprint - Level 6
Your resident soul is wearing off on you. You permanently gain some of the traits of your resident soul. If its effects scale, they scale based on your resident soul’s level. Choose from the following list:

Increase one ability score by 2 (your resident soul must have at least 13 in the chosen ability)
Proficiency with one type of armor and one weapon
Proficiency with three skills, languages, or tools
Proficiency with one saving throw
Learn one cantrip and two level 1 spells

You may replace your choice with another from this list each time you gain a level in this class. The proficiencies and spells chosen must be chosen from your resident soul’s proficiencies and spells known.

Mighty Soul - Level 10
You may spend two uses of your Channeling feature to activate Soul Surrender and channel your resident soul as if it were level 12.

Soul Shield - Level 14
As a reaction when you are hit by an attack or fail a saving throw, you may expend one use of your Channeling feature to instantly activate Soul Surrender, allowing your channeled soul to become the target of the attack or effect.

Channeling
Starting at 2nd level, you gain the ability to channel souls; manifesting the attributes, proficiencies, and special abilities they possessed in life. Each time you use this feature, choose an option on the Channeling Table that you meet the level requirement for. Your channeling lasts for a number of hours equal to ½ your Channeler level, rounded down. You may use this feature twice per short rest.

Channeling Table

Borrowed Proficiency (Level 2) - You gain proficiency in 4 of any combination of weapons, armor, tools, languages, or skills.

Manifest Might (Level 4) - Your physical ability scores are enhanced or replaced by those of the soul you channel. Assign 16, 14, and 13 to your STR, DEX, and CON (you choose which is which). If a score you replace is already equal to or greater than the chosen value, keep your score and increase it by 2. You gain proficiency in saving throws using any two of the affected abilities. You gain proficiency in any two skills governed by the affected abilities. Each time you use this feature, choose the class of your channeled soul.
The table below shows which class features you gain while channeling the chosen soul. Consider yourself level 2 of the chosen class for determining the value of scaling benefits. If a feature is limited to a number of uses per rest, you regain them by taking the appropriate rest. In other words, if you channel a Fighter, use Action Surge, and later in the day channel a Fighter again (without resting first), you don’t have any uses of Action Surge left.

Barbarian: Unarmored Defense, Reckless Attack
Fighter: Action Surge, Second Wind, Fighting Style
Monk: Martial Arts, Unarmored Movement
Paladin: Fighting Style
Ranger: Fighting Style
Rogue: Sneak Attack, Cunning Action

Manifest Mind (Level 4) - Your mental ability scores are enhanced or replaced by those of the soul you channel. Assign 16, 14, and 13 to your INT, WIS, and CHA (you choose which is which). If a score you replace is already equal to or greater than the chosen value, instead increase that score by 2. You gain proficiency in one saving throw among the affected abilities. You gain proficiency in any two skills governed by the affected abilities, and any two languages. Each time you use this feature, choose the class of your channeled soul.
The table below shows which class features you gain while channeling the chosen soul. Consider yourself level 2 of the chosen class for determining the value of scaling benefits. If a feature is limited to a number of uses per rest, you regain them by taking the appropriate rest. In other words, if you channel a level 2 Cleric, use Channel Divinity, then later channel a Cleric again, you don’t have any uses of Channel Divinity left.

Barbarian: Rage (+2 damage), Danger Sense
Bard: 1 cantrip, 2 level 1 spells - or - Bardic Inspiration (d6)
Cleric: 1 cantrip, 2 level 1 spells - or - Channel Divinity: Turn Undead
Druid: 1 cantrip, 2 level 1 spells - or - Wild Shape
Monk: Unarmored Defense - or - Ki
Paladin: Divine Sense, Lay on Hands - or - Divine Smite
Ranger: Favored Enemy, Natural Explorer
Rogue: Expertise, Thieves’ Cant
Sorcerer: 2 cantrips, 2 level 1 spells
Warlock: 1 cantrip, 2 level 1 spells - or - 2 Eldritch Invocations
Wizard: 2 cantrips, 4 level 1 spells

This is the class of your channeled soul, and determines the spellcasting ability and spell list.

Soul Surrender (Level 8) - You manifest a soul so completely that your body transforms into the body it once had in life. This functions as the Druid’s Wild Shape, but instead of a creature you become a level 5 character complete with its own alignment, ability scores, race, background, class levels, and class features. When you transform in this way, you choose what happens to your equipment: It melds into your new form, it is worn by your new form, or it falls to the ground. Your equipment doesn’t change size to accommodate the new character, unless it is a magic item and the DM allows. If the character you channel has spell slots, ignore them. You use your Channeler spell slots to cast spells in any form.
While this channeling is active, you lose concentration on any spells you were concentrating on, and you lose all racial, background, and class features from your Channeler character (except the use of your spell slots).

Archchanneler
At 20th level, you may use your Channeling feature an unlimited number of times.
Additionally, you can ignore the verbal and somatic components of your Channeler spells, as well as any material components that lack a cost and aren’t consumed by a spell. You gain this benefit regardless of whether or not you are channeling.

SpitnWhittle
2022-02-13, 03:12 PM
Channeler Spell List

Cantrips
Guidance
Mage Hand
Mending
Spare the Dying
Thaumaturgy

Level 1
Alarm
Armor of Agathys
Arms of Hadar
Bane
Bless
Cause Fear
Charm Person
Command
Comprehend Languages
Detect Evil and Good
Disguise Self
Dissonant Whispers
Divine Favor
Expeditious Retreat
Faerie Fire
False Life
Feather Fall
Find Familiar
Fog Cloud
Gift of Alacrity
Heroism
Hex
Hunter’s Mark
Identify
Jump
Longstrider
Mage Armor
Protection from Evil and Good
Sanctuary
Shield
Shield of Faith
Silent Image
Silvery Barbs
Tenser’s Floating Disk
Unseen Servant
Zephyr Strike

Level 2
Aid
Alter Self
Barkskin
Blur
Borrowed Knowledge
Calm Emotions
Crown of Madness
Darkvision
Detect Thoughts
Enhance Ability
Enthrall
Find Steed
Find Traps
Flock of Familiars
Gentle Repose
Healing Spirit
Hold Person
Invisibility
Knock
Levitate
Magic Mouth
Magic Weapon
Mind Spike
Mirror Image
Misty Step
Nystul’s Magic Aura
Pass Without Trace
Phantasmal Force
See Invisibility
Shadow Blade
Skywrite
Spider Climb
Spiritual Weapon
Suggestion
Tasha’s Mind Whip
Votex Warp
Warding Bond
Wristpocket
Zone of Truth

Steven K
2022-02-16, 09:01 AM
Hmm... the resident soul subclass reminds me of a dumb Naruto fanfiction idea I used to have...

Oh, and a Kalashtar. Obviously.

Question 1: Is there any intention for there to be character development / interaction between the souls or is this purely a mechanical thing?

Question 2: What happens when the channeler sleeps?

Critique 1: Part of the level 2 Vigilant Soul feature is exclusively concerned with things (specifically healing) that happen only in relation to the level 8 Soul Surrender feature. That's a pretty confusing way of wording it. Just add the spell slot healing to Soul Surrender and be done with it.

Remark 1: You get your level 2 + 1/2 rounded down Resident Soul at level one. So it's actually a higher level than you are, for at least the first two levels.

Critique 2: The general wording of Channeler Archetype, Resident Soul and Vigilant Soul's description led me to believe that channeling is a lvl 1 feature and the only change at level 2 is making it a bonus action. I was quite sure that was not your intent, since this is a copy of the druid and that's not how druids work - though I personally think it is how they should work, but that's a different matter.

Specifically, the combination of:

"Your choice grants you features when you choose it at 1st level"

and,

"You have the reins, but the other is always waiting, always watching, ready to take control when given the opportunity",

and

"When channeling your resident soul, you can do so as a bonus action",

leads me to the conclusion outlined above, and the implicit assumption that channeling at lvl 1 uses your action.

I eventually worked out that the lvl one feature is the resident soul itself, which exists but does not yet have any mechanical components. It's just there. Which leads back to question one, now rephrased as "What purpose does the resident soul serve before lvl 2, when you gain the channeling feature? Does it talk to you?"

Corrollary suggestion 1: If Unseen Servant is not on the spell list (I skimmed it, but I wasn't looking for that spell in particular so I have no idea if it's there or not), put it on the spell list, or, better, add it as a lvl 1 class feature. It's literally your resident soul / shepherded souls given form through magic.

Critique 3: My understanding of the Familiar Soul subclass was that at level two you can do any one of four things with channeling: Borrowed Proficiency, Manifest Might, Manifest Mind, or Soul Imprint; whereas the Soul Shepherd can do only one, that being Borrowed Proficiency. That seems... fairly lopsided, at a first glance. I had to read the features a couple of times each to work out what the misunderstanding was. Soul Imprint is the level six archetype feature, not a channeling option. It just so happens that your formula for channeling for the Resident Soul lines up perfectly (2 lvls + 4 = 6 lvls, Soul Imprint is the lvl 6 feature). To make things worse you directly mention the two higher level channelings one paragraph above the Soul Imprint feature description, making it very easy to get confused as to what section you're in.

The +4 bonus to assumed level is confusing, because the actual features it grants you are both only +2 to assumed level, and there is no lvl 6 option. I assume it's the number it is because it's supposed to get you the lvl 8 channeling at Channeler lvl four, but it does make for a bit of confusion at lower levels.

Maybe just state outright "If you take the Resident Soul archetype you get this, this, and that channeling at lvl 2, and the other channeling at lvl 4. If not, you get them at these levels instead:"

Question 3: So... uh, you just have an extra soul living in your body? Why? Like, what's the actual lore here, as opposed to the more intuitive (I assume) Soul Shepherd subclass, where you just have souls available in the general area, so you channel them, no special relationship required?

Remark 2: So at lvl 20 you're running an infinity mammoth build, but with classes instead of beasts. That's obviously broken af, but, you know, that's druid RAW, not your fault. Still, you should tone it down a little. Maybe 6 per short rest? That's still heaps of uses, but not beyond stupid heaps.

SpitnWhittle
2022-02-16, 08:54 PM
Thanks a lot for taking the time to review this class Steven!
I'm sorry I haven't posted V2 yet, as many of the issues you've pointed out have been addressed in V2.
For now I can at least respond to your questions about the theme of the class.

"Question 1: Is there any intention for there to be character development / interaction between the souls or is this purely a mechanical thing?".

- The relationship and interaction between Channeler and Resident Soul (RS) is largely up to the player. The class ought to have a some dice roll tables like Backgrounds do, to determine or inspire how each player answers this question. Mechanically speaking, the "passenger" soul is as aware of it's surroundings as the "driver" soul is. They may be able to hide their thoughts from one another with some effort, and the passenger wouldn't automatically know what the driver wrote on parchment if he did so with eyes closed.

"Question 2: What happens when the channeler sleeps?".

- V2 address this. When Channeler takes rest, both Channeler and RS benefit from the rest. But, the soul needn't sleep. I'm glad you asked because you gave me an idea for a class feature: Still use RS passive perception while Channeler sleeps. Your eyes are closed, so Channeler and RS both blinded, but your ears are still open.

"Question 3: So... uh, you just have an extra soul living in your body? Why? Like, what's the actual lore here, as opposed to the more intuitive (I assume) Soul Shepherd subclass, where you just have souls available in the general area, so you channel them, no special relationship required?".

- V2 addresses this. The subclasse archetype feature in V2 is "Resident Soul". Every Channeler eventually finds a soul that works well with them. It may be against the RS's will, but you can channel this soul more completely than others. Sorry this answer will generate more questions as V2 isn't posted yet.

Thanks again for your time and effort. I'll let you know when V2 is up! It's much simpler and quite balanced. I think it'll be a lot of fun to play!!!

arkangel111
2022-02-17, 04:23 PM
Seems like a lot of paperwork. While it may work for you or your table, something tells me that even if this were printed by WOTC it would not get much play. That being said you're not here for that type of input so I'll move on.

Resident soul:
Kinda weird that you make a second character but literally do nothing with it until you hit level 8 at which time it will be a level 6 but you can only use it as if it were level 5. 2 levels later (10) you make it at level 7 but then use it at either level 5 or level 12. So now you have at least 3 character sheets just for your resident soul and another for your actual character. When the resident finally actually hits level 12 and you can get rid of a single character sheet, you have been using it as a 12 for 10 whole levels and then your capstone now also lets you get rid of the level 5 sheet and your own character sheet since lets face it jimmy was never the star of the show anyways. Now of course this level 12 character is not as effective as a level 20 and likely starts falling off once the party hits 14-15. Also this ability doesn't say anything about the resident being single classed nor what archetypes so this is ripe for abuse by grabbing a plethora of classes so you can cherry pick every ability (or at least many) based on what is needed for the situation.

Vigilant soul: I don't know what the base class is supposed to look like, but is there a reason for the bonus action wording for the channeling? Seems like it should be placed in that ability not here.

Familiar Soul: so essentially at level 4 you can do anything on the bottom table instead of level 8 normally. Not really that much more broken than the other abilities TBH. Though it does make this class extremely front loaded. Changing the stats further exacerbates the ASI issue listed below adding as much as 3 more ASI's to the total (48 levels). see below for my thoughts on that.

Soul Imprint: Not overall broken but it does mean that by having your resident choose a feat that gives proficiency in a 3rd stat you can have 5 stats proficient with literally no investment from the character This does finally shore up the issue where you could have jimmy running around (out of combat) with gear he can only use in combat. Not really an issue (hence why I hadn't brought it up yet) since the only time most of those skill checks come into effect he'd likely be channeling anyways.

Mighty soul: see above Resident soul for why this ability becomes semi broken. Now granted at the level you get it, it helps you stay relevant and even overpowered for a few levels but then falling off a cliff suddenly. I'll have to write up a character using this class and compare side by side to see if it is truly broken or not but I'm at work now so will edit this response later. Also just noticed that this does not affect the other 3 channeling options in anyway.

Soul shield: Not sure if this ability is really useful since the only way this likely comes into effect is a surprise round or a trap at the start of the day. Also you have never stated what happens when the resident would be killed so it's possibly at level 20 you get surprised, activate this ability and swap in your level 12 resident that likely fails miserably (maybe not you do have 5 proficient saves after all) he dies and then you channel the following round and go ham on the baddie having lost nothing.

Channeling:
It says you gain abilities at 1,6,10,14, and 18 however there doesn't seem to be an ability at level 1 but instead two abilities at level 2. Seems very similar to a Rage or shapeshift which is ok it seems like it starts at 2 hrs per day (2 castings) and ends at 20 hours per day. and that's not accounting for the short rests, so in all actuality these abilities are essentially constant and I'll be judging them off that.. I know the druid is the same but the druid should never be held up as the standard to which a class is measured.

Borrowed Proficiency - Probably worth at least 1 ASI, though by no means broken. So IMO probably fine, though by far a subpar ability compared to your other 2 options which are available at this same level with the archetype presented. Even under another archetype you would only use this ability while you wait for your better ability @ lvl 4

Channel Might - with this ability you get a total of 4 saving throw proficiencies, not broken but worth 2 feats especially since you can also raise your ability scores quite dramatically. With 27 point buy you can put a 15 in every mental stat (16 with non variant human) granting you a 9 in every physical score. After your stat boost, this is equal to 9 ASI's total (36 levels worth) in a single class feature. This doesn't even include the non-save proficiencies. On top of this you are gaining some class features from other classes. Now as far as those go... I'm not seeing things that are game breaking, however I would say that there is never a reason to grab paladin or ranger, since the fighter gets what they get and the amazing action surge and second wind. Personally I would make them at least an option someone might consider. But I would also drop action surge for fighter since it is literally the prime reason for most players to dip fighter, but if this class were an option instead there would rarely be a reason to dip fighter since they get the good things from this class and a ton more versatility as well.

Channel divinity - only a possibility of 3 total proficient saves, much better than might, but you run into the same possible stat boost issue from above though honestly less likely cause you can just be a caster that has super high physical scores. As far as the class features go... Picking up scribe scroll could literally give you every cantrip and level 1 spell in the game, not broken by far but something to be aware of, Barbs rage should be with might for sure, warlock could get some invocations that last all day before the group breaks camp, gets his 10 min rest in and swap to a totally different set of invocations until he has cast everything he needs. The spellcasting does bring up a good point... so what if he gets 4 level 1 spells in the middle of combat, he never prepared them or selected them in the morning, or if he did he lost it when channeling stopped so those spells are worthless. you pretty much need grab spells you can upcast since level 1 spells aren't that great even at level 4 when you get this feature. Also since the non-resident soul has a spell list and DC's based on CHA always and the note here says you now base it on the resident souls class instead, everything gets confusing and I'm unsure which rules to follow.

Soul Surrender: honestly there are a few levels where this ability is broken, but for the most part I find this ability subpar to the other 2 abilities above, since there are no restrictions about the resident being single classed a player is better off dipping everywhere and never using this ability but instead using the other channel options. This ability is powerful briefly but falls off the cliff shortly after.

Capstone: nothing prevents a character from channeling multiple times at once, giving the character all benefits of might and mind simultaneously as well as proficiency in everything including that final save, if you built right. I mean as far as capstones go this really isn't that broken, its just every other class feature that is broken in some way.

All in all... It needs work, either I am giving too much weight to some abilities and its Broken (Borderline worthless) or Broken (edging ever so slightly closer to Pun Pun). I like the concept but with all the added headache of multiple character sheets (at least 2 for 19 levels and 10 of those your carrying 4 instead) I think it's unplayable in its current iteration. I'm still gonna likely waste time making a character and editing it in here just because. but that is my $.02. I'd like to see your V2 or V3 to see what changed, hell maybe most of this has already been adressed and I am just spinning my wheels wasting work hours, but the other option was to actually do some work, so you got my attention.

SpitnWhittle
2022-04-04, 07:20 AM
I have revised the class a few times since the original post, and have a v4.5 that I am currently play testing.

I will make an effort to provide this latest version here, but I'm a perfectionist and it takes me a while to format in here neatly.

But I'd like to let you know now that v4.5 is basically a warlock with homebrew subclasses, invocations, and boons.