PDA

View Full Version : Chip ‘n Dale Rescue Rangers: classic and CG and Roger Rabbit and little ponies, oh my

Millstone85
2022-02-15, 12:10 PM
https://youtu.be/dK1CuXG7GMQ

I did not expect any of this!

Zevox
2022-02-15, 12:15 PM
...I see that this video is on Disney's official Youtube account, and I still question whether this is actually real or someone's bizarre fan-made trailer.

I do not know whether I want to watch this or not. It seems like something that will either be shockingly good or a total train wreck, with little potential to be anything in between.

HolyDraconus
2022-02-15, 03:30 PM
...I see that this video is on Disney's official Youtube account, and I still question whether this is actually real or someone's bizarre fan-made trailer.

I do not know whether I want to watch this or not. It seems like something that will either be shockingly good or a total train wreck, with little potential to be anything in between.

With that stupid seth laugh too? It looks...ugh. like more nostalgia baiting with a hint of rian johnson direction. I wont have high hopes for this.

theNater
2022-02-15, 03:36 PM
I do appreciate that some random extras, like reporters and con-goers, are also animated characters. It's a nice touch.

JadedDM
2022-02-15, 03:49 PM
With that stupid seth laugh too? It looks...ugh. like more nostalgia baiting with a hint of rian johnson direction. I wont have high hopes for this.

It's directed by Akiva Schaffer. I don't think Rian Johnson has anything to do with this project.

LaZodiac
2022-02-15, 06:37 PM
It's directed by Akiva Schaffer. I don't think Rian Johnson has anything to do with this project.

They're saying it's "Rian Johnson like", as though that's some sort of pejorative or A Thing That Exists.

My girlfriend said it best; this film is either going to be unwatchably awful, or shockingly hilarious. I love the sort of... quasi Roger Rabbit/Loony Tunes Back In Action nonsense they're doing with it, myself. The "CGI Surgery" gag is almost certainly like, 60% of the initial pitch of the film because it's just an evocative image. All in all, interesting.

snowblizz
2022-02-15, 07:05 PM
My girlfriend said it best; this film is either going to be unwatchably awful, or shockingly hilarious.

Yes, definitely this.

In the 1980s Disney was almost victim of a hostile takeover Gordon Gecko style. This could also go either way.

Millstone85
2022-02-15, 07:15 PM
They're saying it's "Rian Johnson like", as though that's some sort of pejorative or A Thing That Exists.Oh, it exists and it is awful. But I don't see that here.

Sure, our childhood heroes are now sad has-beens. One had heavy plastic surgery. Another got deep into addiction... But wait, they are just toon actors with little demand these days, one changed animation style, and another is simply further running with the mice-like-cheese comedy trope. False alarm, it is all in good fun.

BeerMug Paladin
2022-02-15, 08:10 PM
This actually seems like it could be entertaining. I like the creativity and the mixture of animation styles together. It's unexpected, but I think it's a good sign they're willing to mix the styles of animation together with how much different animation has become in the last several decades.

It looks like some of the stuff that's supposed to look traditionally 2d animated is using a lot of cell shading on a 3d model, but as far as the style goes it looks like a good implementation.

Consider me mildly optimistic.

Mystic Muse
2022-02-15, 08:16 PM
They're saying it's "Rian Johnson like", as though that's some sort of pejorative or A Thing That Exists.

My girlfriend said it best; this film is either going to be unwatchably awful, or shockingly hilarious. I love the sort of... quasi Roger Rabbit/Loony Tunes Back In Action nonsense they're doing with it, myself. The "CGI Surgery" gag is almost certainly like, 60% of the initial pitch of the film because it's just an evocative image. All in all, interesting.

Credit where credit is due, I was paraphrasing Zevox here.

Kareeah_Indaga
2022-02-15, 08:55 PM

Second this. It probably doesn’t help that all I remember of Rescue Rangers with any clarity is bits of the theme song. :smallconfused:

Wintermoot
2022-02-15, 09:06 PM
I'm actually pretty sad about this. As someone at the upper end of age for this show, I remember it fondly along the other Disney adventure series of the time (Talespin, Ducktales, Darkwing Duck, etc.)

I would've enjoyed a straight sequel or reboot or something more... reverential. I'm just tired of this cynical meta-narrative tearing apart of nostalgic properties while simultaneously depending on that nostalgia to get butts in the seats. Oh, so edgy and witty. *rolls eyes*

No one tells stories anymore, just make stories ABOUT stories making fun of older stories.

Callos_DeTerran
2022-02-15, 09:34 PM
I'm actually pretty sad about this. As someone at the upper end of age for this show, I remember it fondly along the other Disney adventure series of the time (Talespin, Ducktales, Darkwing Duck, etc.)

I would've enjoyed a straight sequel or reboot or something more... reverential. I'm just tired of this cynical meta-narrative tearing apart of nostalgic properties while simultaneously depending on that nostalgia to get butts in the seats. Oh, so edgy and witty. *rolls eyes*

No one tells stories anymore, just make stories ABOUT stories making fun of older stories.

This more or less. This trailer doesn't seem fun or funny to me, just remarkably cynical and disheartening. Like a lot of other such movies these days and I'm sick of cynical.

Hard pass.

GentlemanVoodoo
2022-02-15, 11:17 PM
Where to begin....

- Callos & Wintermoot have hit one of the main points. Cynical deconstruction while nostalgia baiting is crap.
- Seth Rogan is in it so automatic pass.
- A movie about Chip and Dale, yet no effort made to do Chip and Dale voices?
- Not impressed with the casting choices doing the voices for that matter. God knows only how bad Gadget is going to be.
- Movie premise just looks blah.

t209
2022-02-15, 11:22 PM
I guess they are trying to be tongue-in-cheek.
Maybe pandering like "look, we make fun of our own practices, it won't be bad".

JadedDM
2022-02-15, 11:46 PM
God knows only how bad Gadget is going to be.

They got Tress MacNeille back for Gadget, and Corey Burton for Zipper. So they should sound normal.

(Of course, Tress and Corey voiced Chip and Dale, too, so I guess recasting them was a very deliberate choice.)

Lurkmoar
2022-02-15, 11:53 PM
Disney: Got to keep digging that nostaglia mine!
Me: I'm empty.

Hope they stay away from Gargoyles.

HolyDraconus
2022-02-16, 03:02 AM
Disney: Got to keep digging that nostaglia mine!
Me: I'm empty.

Oh please no. Not gargoyles. Its all i have left. Please. Not them.

Eldan
2022-02-16, 03:57 AM
Where to begin....

- A movie about Chip and Dale, yet no effort made to do Chip and Dale voices?

Heh. The voices are actually kind of a moot point to me? I watched all the Disney Cartoons in German as a kid, and read European Disney comics, so most of the characters either didn't have specific voices to me, or... kind of normal dub voices, really. I think I was an adult when I found out that in America, Donald Duck and Mickey Mouse have unusual voices. (And didn't like it. They are both badass heroes, how can Donald Duck be a knight who saves fantasy kingdoms, or Mickey Mouse a hardboiled homicide detective if they have weird voices?)

Anyway, this looks... strange. Probably going to give it a pass, if only because I have no memories of the original cartoons, other than knowing I must have watched it at some point and recognizing some of the character designs. I mean, I liked Duck Tales because it was basically an update of what was already there, and a pretty loving one in general. This doesn't look like that. It looks like "Smurfs in Hollywood" or whatever that was called.

GloatingSwine
2022-02-16, 04:37 AM
Serious Space Jam 2 vibes from the trailer. Lots of 'member this? even when it doesn't relate to the scene (like why did a cat with a gun arm also need to be a reference to the T-Rex in Jurassic Park? Because 'member?)

Millstone85
2022-02-16, 05:57 AM
I am not getting Space Jam 2 vibes, nor Space Jam ones for that matter. Rather, like LaZodiac, I am expecting something between Who Framed Roger Rabbit and Looney Tunes: Back in Action. Or maybe just LT:BiA but with a cameo from Roger. Either way, it could be really fun.

Heh. The voices are actually kind of a moot point to me? I watched all the Disney Cartoons in German as a kid, and read European Disney comics, so most of the characters either didn't have specific voices to me, or... kind of normal dub voices, really. I think I was an adult when I found out that in America, Donald Duck and Mickey Mouse have unusual voices. (And didn't like it. They are both badass heroes, how can Donald Duck be a knight who saves fantasy kingdoms, or Mickey Mouse a hardboiled homicide detective if they have weird voices?)French here. Donald and Mickey did have weird voices in the dubs, but I never bothered transposing those to the comics. I mean, can you imagine Donald saying this in his nasal voice?

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/a6/98/5a/a6985a7e09f0a2be8c24ee0f79165b72.png

GloatingSwine
2022-02-16, 07:35 AM
I am not getting Space Jam 2 vibes, nor Space Jam ones for that matter.

Space Jam vibes would have been better, it looks like "here's a lot of references to IPs we own to distract you" rather than a story that can be trusted to drive itself. Which is what Space Jam 2 was.

There is no limit to what one can imagine Donald Duck saying:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3woEDTUbDYg

DigoDragon
2022-02-16, 07:39 AM
I think this could be amusing. I get the "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" vibe with the in-universe setup and maybe they can pull off something fun with it. I'll give this a chance.

I wouldn't be surprised if they wave off the lack of high-pitched voices as something they edited for their "show".

Millstone85
2022-02-16, 07:44 AM
There is no limit to what one can imagine Donald Duck sayingWell, holy cow! Or should I say... What the duck?

OracleofWuffing
2022-02-16, 08:02 AM
I remember when the new DuckTales had references to Darkwing Duck and Rescue Rangers, and people getting all excited about the possibilities of rebooting those series, and then... This. Yaaaaay washed up burn out story with self-deprecating humor. Sure reached high to get that fuit.

I can comprehend why they didn't want to match the old voices for Chip and Dale- just ask the "everyone and their sister" that keeps telling me why Charles Martinet's voice would get annoying as part of a feature-length film for Super Mario Bros- but I disagree given that I was more than happy to binge VHS recordings of the cartoon back in the days.

French here. Donald and Mickey did have weird voices in the dubs, but I never bothered transposing those to the comics. I mean, can you imagine Donald saying this in his nasal voice?
My apologies, I totally can hear it in Donald's nasal voice, and it is awesome.

Millstone85
2022-02-16, 08:24 AM
I remember when the new DuckTales had references to Darkwing Duck and Rescue Rangers, and people getting all excited about the possibilities of rebooting those series, and then... This. Yaaaaay washed up burn out story with self-deprecating humor. Sure reached high to get that fuit.You know, it is very possible for this movie to end with Chip, Dale, and the rest of the crew, working on the first episode of the rebooted, new-DuckTales universe, series.

Somebody calls SCP Pataphysics! :smallbiggrin:

Kareeah_Indaga
2022-02-16, 08:35 AM
I'm just tired of this cynical meta-narrative tearing apart of nostalgic properties while simultaneously depending on that nostalgia to get butts in the seats. Oh, so edgy and witty. *rolls eyes*

Second this.

I guess they are trying to be tongue-in-cheek.
Maybe pandering like "look, we make fun of our own practices, it won't be bad".

I dunno, that sort of mockery in Far From Home is what made it my least favorite MCU Spider-man movie. It’s too meta, it kicks me out of the story and if done badly comes off as insulting to me, the audience member, for daring to enjoy unbelievable elements in a work of fiction.

Fervently second this!

I mean, can you imagine Donald saying this in his nasal voice?

Yes, and now I can start my day with a smile! :smallbiggrin: My sincere thanks!

The Glyphstone
2022-02-16, 09:00 AM
Sadly, I am also getting major Space Jam 2 vibes from this, with the parade of "look at all the other IPs we own" in the backgrounds.

GloatingSwine
2022-02-16, 09:24 AM
It also just doesn't look like it's a story written for these characters.

It's a generic structure that has had the Chip and Dale IP plastered over it. Because it reimagines the characters as actors who played the previous characters someone who watched the show would be familiar with it is actually cutting itself off from their previous characterisation. Chip and Dale as you knew them don't actually matter to this story, only these new characters who are the actors who used to play them.

I can comprehend why they didn't want to match the old voices for Chip and Dale- just ask the "everyone and their sister" that keeps telling me why Charles Martinet's voice would get annoying as part of a feature-length film for Super Mario Bros- but I disagree given that I was more than happy to binge VHS recordings of the cartoon back in the days.

I think you're possibly underestimating just how high pitched Martinet is as Mario. (and people saying that the voices would be too squeaky are overestimating how high pitched and squeaky they originally were, and given that there are four of them they have contrast and no one tone dominates which Mario as the primary speaker would not).

Zevox
2022-02-16, 11:19 AM
Second this. It probably doesn’t help that all I remember of Rescue Rangers with any clarity is bits of the theme song. :smallconfused:
That's also true for me. Though to be fair, 80s-90s cartoons where the theme song is more memorable than the show itself aren't exactly a rarity, and doesn't even necessarily reflect poorly on the show. Part of it was that theme songs for cartoons back in the day were just often really good, after all, including the Rescue Rangers'.

It also just doesn't look like it's a story written for these characters.

It's a generic structure that has had the Chip and Dale IP plastered over it. Because it reimagines the characters as actors who played the previous characters someone who watched the show would be familiar with it is actually cutting itself off from their previous characterisation. Chip and Dale as you knew them don't actually matter to this story, only these new characters who are the actors who used to play them.
You know, I couldn't put my finger on exactly what felt so wrong about this to me until you said that, but yeah, that's precisely it. It feels like the Rescue Rangers are just sort of incidental, and this was a story written such that any random IP they felt they could pull off a silly movie with would work with it.

Which doesn't necessarily mean it'll turn out awful, depending on the execution, but it certainly dampens any feelings I might otherwise have of wanting to watch it because of the show it's presenting itself as being based on.

Callos_DeTerran
2022-02-16, 01:58 PM
Oh please no. Not gargoyles. Its all i have left. Please. Not them.

I only recently found out how awesome Gargoyles is and I also don't want this to happen to them, lol.

As much as I want new gargoyles content, I have no interest in any current director getting their hands on them. Maybe the Russo Brothers if I wanted a respectful but different take on them or the directors from the Monsterverse cause it would be a nostalgia dive, but other then them? No interest. Especially not with Jordan Peele doing it.

OracleofWuffing
2022-02-16, 09:30 PM
I think you're possibly underestimating just how high pitched Martinet is as Mario. (and people saying that the voices would be too squeaky are overestimating how high pitched and squeaky they originally were, and given that there are four of them they have contrast and no one tone dominates which Mario as the primary speaker would not).
This is the timeline where someone made four CGI-enhanced live action theatrical movies about Alvin and the Chipmunks which somehow became box office successes. Yes, I understand how squeaky voices could annoy someone. No, I do not agree with the decision. I also want to bring up Kids Bop, but that might be switching from apples to oranges and we can at least agree that should be annihilate with extreme prejudice.
-

And I'm really getting the vibe that I would walk away from the Rescue Rangers movie the same way I would have walked away from any of the Chipmunks movies... I'm not the target audience, so it's not made for me, so I won't like it. Probably my fault for creating a self-fulfilling prophecy here. Maybe they're making the right call (monetarily) not appealing to the folks who got the DVD box sets to rewatch the series at their leisure (Then again, that's the same audience that came up with the "Rescue Rangers is a Metaphor for Economic Systems" fannon, so maybe they are appealing to that audience after all). Could be me over-reading, it looks like they're just trying to ride Detective Pikachu's coat tails with a bit of Jellystone or Family Guy thrown in. Fair enough, big company likes money and does same thing other business did to make money is a valid plan, if boring.

Of course, if this movie resulted in a proper modern day sequel to the Rescue Rangers NES games... I'd be up for that. :smallbiggrin:

GloatingSwine
2022-02-17, 04:52 AM
And I'm really getting the vibe that I would walk away from the Rescue Rangers movie the same way I would have walked away from any of the Chipmunks movies... I'm not the target audience, so it's not made for me, so I won't like it.

Yeah, though I think there is a question of who is the target audience and whether one actually even exists. It's not people who would today be in the target audience market of the Rescue Rangers cartoon because it's relying pretty heavily on references to things they're too young for (Roger Rabbit, terrible CGI Cats, the original Rescue Rangers cartoon) and people who actually do have nostalgia for the original series probably aren't interested in something that doesn't appear to leverage any of the things that they liked about it because it's different characters in a different situation and world.