PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Making Baba Yaga's house for a player character?

Citadel97501
2022-02-16, 03:20 PM
Hello all, my fiancé and I were joking about a tiny house with chicken legs for a pc. So I was working it out and I was wondering how you would go about doing this? My current ideas are an Artificer, or a College of Creation Bard as it seems these are the most reasonable solutions but I am sure there are other options?

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ9GU1nqyVswXMPaWa1nwUwWJ2beXRyU jKMqg&usqp=CAU

Animated House
Race: Any medium or smaller character, although I personally think this would be best with a small race, due to size restrictions.

Level: 5+, due to only being able to have it walk around for 1 hour per day for free, this works best when you can spend a level 3 spell to get it moving another hour.

Class: Creation Bard 5+: This subclass provides Animating Performance which can basically have a large object such as a cart sized house that will be able to move or even fly.

Feats: Mounted Combatant, this is really interesting as it will protect your house from most reflex save spells and buff your own attacks nicely.

Improvements: Bard 3+, Warlock 5, it really doesn't matter what type as this is entirely to get short rest regenerating 3rd level spell slots, to always be able to have the house able to walking or flying. This will also reduce the amount of Bard levels you technically need although I would personally take it to 5 first. This is also even more interesting if your DM rules, that you can rest in your house while its walking around.

Other Notes: Remember it is entirely reasonable to have it give the rider cover, if you have to just ask how much a small wooden wall weighs and have one installed like a castle's battlements. It should be noted that this thing will be able to carry a lot, so it is entirely reasonable to have it set up as a platform with legs and a basic camping spot early on, and slowly build the house up over time.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steel Castle
Class: Artificer 4, Battlesmith

Race: Small only...

Feats: Mounted Combatant

Issues: The steel defender is much weaker physically, can't fly, and is only medium size unlike the Dancing Object from the Creation Bard, but an artificer can add on some benefits that can help with this through their infusions. Gauntlets of Ogre Strength to increase its carry weight for example. All in all, I don't think this is nearly as good as the Bard version.

FabulousFizban
2022-02-17, 09:23 AM
There is literally a module with Baba Yaga and her hut in it. You end up traveling to real world Russia to fight her. Damn... what was that module? Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden maybe? I seem to recall fighting a frost giant...

Joe the Rat
2022-02-17, 10:55 AM
If it's about a character making their own, animate object or steel defender gets you a moving box, but of limited duration. I'd suggest artificer, then get ahold of Enlarge/Reduce so you can make it hut-sized for breif periods, otherwise it's sort of a galliform interpretation of The Luggage.

For the full BYDH experience, you want to find a way to expand the interior a bit - like a rope trick or magnificent mansion. Hmm... You could actually go the other way entirely on size, and have a tiny hut-shaped box or cookie jar that's a Genilock vessel. You might be able to leverage tiny servant to animate.

Me, I would angle with the DM for an item, or the option to combine some features inappropriately. Steel defender + bag of holding infusion (afb, but can you make a portable hole, that would be even better) for a bigger-on-the-inside hut. I'm thinking a Figurine of Wondrous power version could be fun - maybe skin the elephant?

There is literally a module with Baba Yaga and her hut in it. You end up traveling to real world Russia to fight her. Damn... what was that module? Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden maybe? I seem to recall fighting a frost giant...

That's not the tesseract-house with the tank in the basement is it? That one is from a Dragon Magazine - 1st ed era. First place I'd seen a "Natasha" attached to Baba Yaga. And her other, Good-aligned adopted daughter...

da newt
2022-02-17, 11:07 AM
Curse of Strahd has an animated hag's hut too.

Slipjig
2022-02-17, 11:16 AM
I'd just make it a custom magic item, definitely requiring attunement. Or possibly not require attunement, but give it attitude and a surly disposition.

Brawnspear
2022-02-17, 02:38 PM
There is also the awaken spell, 5th level for Druid and Bard. Build a hut in a tree, awaken the tree, have the tree carry the hut around. Animate Objects on the hut if you need to use it specifically during combat, or go creation bard with a smaller hut. You may be able to finagle this with the awakening pot magic item that artificers can make but that's a long time to wait, and I think it only works for bushes.

You can use Thaumaturgy for opening and shutting windows, spooky lights and sounds, etc.

I like the animated tree shtick because it gives it a personality and has the whole wooden legs thing going for it.

samcifer
2022-02-17, 03:16 PM
I am too tired today. I first read it as Baby Yoda. :P

Citadel97501
2022-02-19, 03:23 AM
There is also the awaken spell, 5th level for Druid and Bard. Build a hut in a tree, awaken the tree, have the tree carry the hut around. Animate Objects on the hut if you need to use it specifically during combat, or go creation bard with a smaller hut. You may be able to finagle this with the awakening pot magic item that artificers can make but that's a long time to wait, and I think it only works for bushes.

You can use Thaumaturgy for opening and shutting windows, spooky lights and sounds, etc.

I like the animated tree shtick because it gives it a personality and has the whole wooden legs thing going for it.

LOL That one is great, I will add it to the list tomorrow. :)