PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Looking For Race (SLA CL = 2x Level)

Thurbane
2022-02-16, 03:41 PM
So, wondering if anyone can help me out.

I'm looking for a race similar to Duergar, that have innate SLAs(s), where the CL = 2x level or HD. It's for early entry into something (I know there are other ways to inflate CL, but I'm specifically looking along this line first).

Duergar is less than ideal for a number of reasons, but so far is the only race I could find.

Are there any other official, playable races that have something similar, where the CL of their SLAs is double their class level?

Preferably not from Dragon mag. No PF, 3rd party or homebrew please.

Cheers - T

Q 076

Maybe not technically a RAW question, but probably not worth its own thread: Duergar get SLAs (Enlarge Person & Invisibility), with a CL = 2x their class levels.

Is there any other playable races that use a similar mechanic, where CL for an SLA is a multiple of HD/level?

Jervis
2022-02-16, 06:53 PM
I know you said not dragon but would a high base CL be acceptable? There’s a feat you can take at level 1 from dragon that gives you a CL 16 SLA. What exactly do you need and by what level?

Thurbane
2022-02-16, 09:31 PM
I know you said not dragon but would a high base CL be acceptable? There’s a feat you can take at level 1 from dragon that gives you a CL 16 SLA. What exactly do you need and by what level?

Need to hit CL 11 as early as possible; also, needs to be a Humanoid, which I should have mentioned.

MornShine
2022-02-16, 09:43 PM
There’s a feat you can take at level 1 from dragon that gives you a CL 16 SLA.

I don't know the feat, but Half Dragon + Human Heritage?

Wildstag
2022-02-16, 09:51 PM
I don't know the feat, but Half Dragon + Human Heritage?

I think by "dragon", they meant Dragon Magazine, not "Dragon Type".

Since I've chimed in, I'll help looking, but I dunno what hasn't been looked at.

Troacctid
2022-02-16, 09:57 PM
The feat in question is the Greyhawk regional feat Celestial Scion, and it's Su, not Sp. That's all you need for crafting feats, though. Very handy.

Jervis
2022-02-16, 10:46 PM
Need to hit CL 11 as early as possible; also, needs to be a Humanoid, which I should have mentioned.

Kinda cheating but any SU or spell like ability without a set CL + the Lycanthrope template (werewhale) will let you get it at level 1. But you technically become ECL 13 so, you know. You can always remove that template though, especially if you get slapped with the Cure of Lycanthropy (pre spell compendium version because those are two very different spells) so remove curse works. Dragon Mag’s celestial scion is probably the best bet though as other people have said. If I knew exactly what you were qualifying for I could maybe give better advice

Thurbane
2022-02-16, 11:02 PM
Kinda cheating but any SU or spell like ability without a set CL + the Lycanthrope template (werewhale) will let you get it at level 1. But you technically become ECL 13 so, you know. You can always remove that template though, especially if you get slapped with the Cure of Lycanthropy (pre spell compendium version because those are two very different spells) so remove curse works. Dragon Mag’s celestial scion is probably the best bet though as other people have said. If I knew exactly what you were qualifying for I could maybe give better advice

I'm trying to keep it a little vague, for reasons.

Troacctid
2022-02-16, 11:27 PM
Well, you could take +5 LA to have a Past Life (DMG2), but that seems a bit expensive.

Rebel7284
2022-02-17, 12:09 AM
Imbue with Spell Ability has permanent duration. You just need to find a caster with CL 2x your HD.

Jervis
2022-02-17, 12:22 AM
Imbue with Spell Ability has permanent duration. You just need to find a caster with CL 2x your HD.

I summon pazuzu

Beni-Kujaku
2022-02-17, 11:13 AM
From a duergar discussion here (http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=9671.0): Frost dwarves (Planar Handbook) have some SLAs with a caster level equal to character level +2. Quanak lizardfolk have PLAs with an ML of 12.

Also, if the LA from the Duergar is a problem, there is always the Lesser Duergar, which should retain its SLAs.

Darrin
2022-02-17, 04:28 PM
I think Duergar are unique in having a caster level multiplier. If you need something without LA, then the Lesser Duergar (PGtF p. 190) gets a similar SLA, enlarge person 1/day with CL = 2 * character level, but without any LA.

The closest I can find to something similar would be Frost Dwarf (Planar Handbook pp. 113-114) or Fire Gnome (Planar Handbook pp. 125-126). They both get a few SLAs at character level +2. LA +1, so you'd qualify for CL 11 around ECL 10ish.

If you need something without LA, Silverbrow humans and Deepwyrm half-drow have SLAs with CL = character level.

If you only need the CL increased temporarily... there's a couple things I found that can boost CL:

The Mausoleum of Icy Fear (Planar Handbook p. 176). This is a planar touchstone site, so you'll need some method of planar travel, the Planar Touchstone or Touchstone feat, and a touchstone key of some sort. You have to deal with the guards (a grab bag of demons and/or undead), but with a little scouting, you can determine what you're up against (the guards don't change for a year or so), and come up with a way to disable or circumvent them. After that, you'll want some cold resistance to deal with the 5d6 cold damage. Once you've earned the higher order ability, you still have to kill a creature, and make sure it fails a DC 14 Fort save, and if it does, you get +1 CL for 10 min/HD of the target creature.

Terran Brandy (Book of Vile Darkness p. 43). For just 500 GP, you get a +2 alchemical bonus to caster level for 1d20+20 minutes. Secondary effect is 2 Con damage (hello Strongheart Vest!), no side effects, and the Addiction rating is Low (avoidable with a DC 6 Fort save).

Thurbane
2022-02-17, 05:24 PM
OK, thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Looks like Duergar may still be my best shot, but I have other things to consider as well.

loky1109
2022-02-17, 05:44 PM

Lizardfolk, Quanak (https://web.archive.org/web/20210126091035/http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psb/20021227b) has manifester level 12th with 2 HD and LA +0.