PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Fighting by Candlelight: Optimizing Warrior of Darkness and Darkling Weapon

MornShine
2022-02-16, 09:19 PM
The Warrior of Darkness PrC has a second level feature Darkling Weapon, which for three rounds and 50gp of alchemy can temporarily (hours/level) grant an additional +1 enhancement or +1-equivalent special quality to a weapon. This is great for several reasons, most of which are versatility, one of which is the ability to go from +3 to +4 for cheap, but some of which are the ability to use 1/day abilities multiple times for a little bit of cash.

I have three big questions about these abilities, some of which also apply to the Good (ugh) counterpart, Anointed Knight.

Firstly, how can one get long-duration but temporary Charisma bonuses for the purpose of crafting the Black Magic Oils/Elixirs?

(Because the fluff indicates that one's chosen illicit substances are crafted at level up rather than being immediately gained, temporary buffs that last for long enough or can be renewed should be able to let one reach higher-Cha-bonus elixirs.)

Secondly, what weapon qualities are best to use with Darkling Weapon? There's always Bane: Whatever the Divination Spells Say We're About to Fight, but anything else spring to mind?
(Especially at low cost-- via House Cannith 75% off alchemy supplies or WBLmancy, or just being high level. That said, cost reducers are welcome.)

Finally, how does Spell Storing interact with Darkling Weapon?
Does one get to be a discount Artificer, putting a spell into the weapon and effectively gaining a fourth-level slot? The Artificer's Spell Storing infusion, which to this is the closest analogue, explicitly calls out the ability to create the item with a spell but that doesn't necessarily mean that the WoD's spell-storing item either works the same way or doesn't. Anyone have a good argument one way or the other?

Doctor Despair
2022-02-16, 09:25 PM
Mertoran leaf can grant a +2 bonus to charisma for a while

Sizing would be a neat +1 to gain temporarily

MornShine
2022-02-17, 04:33 AM
Mertoran Leaf is always a plus, especially because it stacks with so many things.

MiC sizing isn't technically a +1 ability-- it's a flat 5000gp cost-- but using Morphing and Changeling (MiC), for only 150gp any magic weapon can retain its magical qualities but be any other weapon (via Morphing to spear, Changing handedness, and Morphing back). This makes it remarkably easy to get loot for an exotic weapon.

Another great weapon quality: Shielding. Turn an offhand weapon into an offhand shield, greatly stretching your money (and it doesn't change back. If you need it to, just Morph it per above).

daremetoidareyo
2022-02-18, 11:17 PM
Dude.

I know that you're probably gonna reject this outright.

Soulknife6/warrior of dankness

Put that darkling oil on your mindblade, which are perennially +1. 50 gp for a mindblade with a cool weapon enchantment instead of the set list of not cool ones that you get with soulknife?

Finally, a way to get an aptitude mindblade.

maybe get working on lightning maces build.

Then go soulbow maybe?

MornShine
2022-02-20, 06:05 AM
The only problems I have with that is’:

It’s unclear whether a Soulknife’s Mind Blade persists across incarnations; if dropping a mind blade ends the effect of the Darkling Weapon, that’s no good.
Why. Why soulknife. It offers nothing to Warrior of Darkness (though, with the ability to full-attack with move, I suppose the Warrior of Darkness offers something to it). If shuffling special abilities didn’t take eight entire hours, I could see using Soulbow as a base for Synergy enhancements, but as it is it sucks.

Side note, if Soulblade doesn’t have persistent blades, then the Lucky ability becomes pretty good— once per round, reroll an attack.