PDA

View Full Version : Blood spells...

Icewalker
2007-11-22, 01:36 PM
I'm working on a class now, and I need any spell involving blood...but I can't find any easily myself, but I'm going to slowly comb through the books I have and probably homebrew a lot of new ones.

Nonetheless, does anybody know of any blood-related spells of the top of their heads, and what book they are in?

martyboy74
2007-11-22, 01:53 PM
Burning Blood, Bloodstar, and Blood to Water are all in the SpC. Avascular Mass might apply to what you're looking for, although it isn't actively blood orientated (it's also SpC).

SurlySeraph
2007-11-22, 01:54 PM
Blade of Blood. (can't remember where it's from - Complete Arcane, I think)

cupkeyk
2007-11-22, 02:02 PM
Avasculate and Avascular Mass spill out a person vascular system from their bodies dealing exactly half their hit points in damage. SpC

J.Gellert
2007-11-22, 02:15 PM
Blood Wind... Well it has blood on the title, at least!

Maybe if someone has converted spells from Vampire to D&D, or if you could do it, specifically for the class. Things like Blood Boil and Blood Shield.

Darth Mario
2007-11-22, 02:41 PM
If you're willing to go back to borrow from 3.0, look into Maho magic from Oriental Adventures. Or, for a less complete but updated version, Unearthed Arcana -- simply titled "Blood Magic".

Awetugiw
2007-11-22, 03:44 PM
The 3.0 Blood Magus prc from Tome and Blood has some abilities that are blood related. Especially the Awaken Blood (makes ones blood try to leave the body, deals damage) and Blood Walk (Teleport, but entering one body and leaving another, possibly violently) abilities would work well for a blood based mage.

Ferreon
2007-11-22, 04:13 PM
Blade of Blood is PHB2

Blood Magus was updated in Complete Arcane

Ganurath
2007-11-22, 04:14 PM
The 3.0 Blood Magus prc from Tome and Blood has some abilities that are blood related. Especially the Awaken Blood (makes ones blood try to leave the body, deals damage) and Blood Walk (Teleport, but entering one body and leaving another, possibly violently) abilities would work well for a blood based mage.It actually came back for 3.5 in Complete Arcane, which also has Burning Blood, which is insane with Arcane Thesi- No, will not rant the praises of favorite spell.

Anyhow, blood magic... Blood magus is a decent point of reference, even if the extra effort one puts forth to qualify is a bit much (lousy feats and having died, primarily.) Definitely want to take a different flavor approach, though.

Guy_Whozevl
2007-11-22, 05:03 PM
Extract Water Elemental (SC) seems to work fine. Just tweak the description to say that the water elemental extracted is composed of the victim's blood. Nothing freaks out an ememy more that attacking them with their companion's own blood.

daggaz
2007-11-22, 05:06 PM
Scarred Lands setting has the Blood Witch PrC, where they give a blood sacrifice (cut themselves for temp con damage) in order to cast for free, I think it was.. Eventually you get strong enough to make unwilling sacrifices of your enemies.

Toliudar
2007-11-22, 05:11 PM
Plus, there are all the spells that could be tweaked to have blood as a motif:

Any of the healing spells could use the metaphor of fortifying or replacing blood.

Acid Arrow, for example, could be depicted as loosing a spurt of caustic blood from an artery.

Awaken, with its XP penalty, could include a transfusion of the druid's blood essence into the affected creature. Come to think of it, the same goes for anything with an XP, HP or personal cost.

Many spells with generic-seeming material components, or no material component, could have blood-specific ones. Blood of the doppelganger for polymorph. A horse's blood for Mount. An outsider's blood for planar binding.

Ganurath
2007-11-22, 05:26 PM
I can't believe I didn't remember this... on the WotC website, there's a spell feature article buried somewhere in the archives called Summon Blood Elemental. It's more difficult to control, but very flavorful in that the elemental attacks by smothering its prey. In blood.

Icewalker
2007-11-23, 12:48 AM
Awesome, thank you all.

Looks like I ought to get Spell Compendium.

puppyavenger
2007-11-23, 07:16 AM
Heres the blood elemental spell
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20030208a