PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Magic Zone and the Fly Spell, How to Calculate Movement

Amano666
2022-02-17, 03:14 PM
Apologies if this has been asked before, I could not find anything.

How does a zone of anti-magic and the fly spell interact in terms of calculating movement?

Let me try and setup a scenario and see how the Giants would rule it.

So lets say that you have a corridor that is 100 feet long. Your character is standing at the 0 foot mark at one end of the corridor In the middle of the corridor is a zone of antimagic that is 30 feet long. You are a character that has a fly spell buff, so your movement is now 60' and on a dash can move 120'. If you MUST pass through the anti-magic zone, could you reach the other end of the hall (100' away) in one turn?

So I guess the way I understand anti-magic is that effects like the fly spell buff are "suppressed" in the zone, but are not dispelled. So if you are moving down the hall, lose you fly speed buff and have to walk 30 feet, how much flying movement would you have once you left the field again?

x = anti magic zone

Thanks in advance for the advice and let me know if I can clarify.

Unoriginal
2022-02-17, 03:19 PM
Apologies if this has been asked before, I could not find anything.

How does a zone of anti-magic and the fly spell interact in terms of calculating movement?

Let me try and setup a scenario and see how the Giants would rule it.

So lets say that you have a corridor that is 100 feet long. Your character is standing at the 0 foot mark at one end of the corridor In the middle of the corridor is a zone of antimagic that is 30 feet long. You are a character that has a fly spell buff, so your movement is now 60' and on a dash can move 120'. If you MUST pass through the anti-magic zone, could you reach the other end of the hall (100' away) in one turn?

So I guess the way I understand anti-magic is that effects like the fly spell buff are "suppressed" in the zone, but are not dispelled. So if you are moving down the hall, lose you fly speed buff and have to walk 30 feet, how much flying movement would you have once you left the field again?

x = anti magic zone

Thanks in advance for the advice and let me know if I can clarify.

When you say the 30ft anti-magic zone is in the middle, do you mean it starts at 35ft from the entrance and ends at 65ft from the entrance?

Corpus
2022-02-17, 03:59 PM
Not making it.
Fly 30ft = a 1/2 move,
Walk 30ft = a Full move,
leaves you with a 1/2 move left.
30ft of Flying or 15ft of walking.

Dualight
2022-02-17, 04:16 PM
Since you lose the fly speed while in the anti-magic field, wouldn't your remaining movement end up as (non-fly speed)-(distance from start to the field)?
When you move, you can move a total amount no greater than your highest speed, effectively losing access to the slower modes of movement as you move beyond the speed of those modes. You "use up" all your speeds, regardless of which one you are using at that exact moment. No proportional changes.

So if you have 30 walking, 15 burrowing, and 60 flying, you can burrow only in the first 15 feet you move that turn, and walk only if you have moved less than 30. Regardless of how you move in this scenario, you would need your flight to move more than 30 feet from your starting point, so if the flight cuts out past that point, you end up falling, as you have used up your movement already, and thus cannot move further.

I just re-read the question, and I think that reaching the end of that specific hallway is possible, provided that the anti-magic field can be left on foot, so the flight speed becomes available again, minus however much you have moved already.

That said, I do not have any experience with this in actual play, so feel free to take this ramble with a grain of salt.

Demonslayer666
2022-02-17, 04:20 PM
Dash makes your walking speed 60' and flying speed 120'. 30' of walking is half your move, leaving 60' of flying left over (half of your flying speed). You make it 90'.

If you were unaware of the zone, I'd probably handle it differently, and throw in an acrobatics check to avoid falling prone. An unanticipated change of movement would be hard to adjust to in an instant (flying to running).

edit: striking out incorrect info.

Amano666
2022-02-18, 12:56 AM
When you say the 30ft anti-magic zone is in the middle, do you mean it starts at 35ft from the entrance and ends at 65ft from the entrance?

Sure it could be that 30 foot section, I guess in my mind it didn't really matter where the anti-magic zone started, just that 30 feet of the hallway would be walking rather than flying. But if there is a placement of the anti-magic field that would change the answer I would be interested to hear about it.

Bobthewizard
2022-02-19, 08:11 AM
Mixed movement is based on how much movement you've used. If you have a walking speed of 30' and a fly speed of 60', you can walk 30' and then fly the remaining 30'. If you fly 30' first, you can't walk since you've reached the end of your walking speed.

If you have more than one speed, such as your walking speed and a flying speed, you can switch back and forth between your speeds during your move. Whenever you switch, subtract the distance you've already moved from the new speed. The result determines how much farther you can move. If the result is 0 or less, you can't use the new speed during the current move.

For example, if you have a speed of 30 and a flying speed of 60 because a wizard cast the fly spell on you, you could fly 20 feet, then walk 10 feet, and then leap into the air to fly 30 feet more.

Dash does not give you another movement action it merely doubles your speed.

When you take the Dash action, you gain extra Movement for the current turn. The increase equals your speed, after applying any modifiers. With a speed of 30 feet, for example, you can move up to 60 feet on Your Turn if you dash.
Any increase or decrease to your speed changes this additional Movement by the same amount. If your speed of 30 feet is reduced to 15 feet, for instance, you can move up to 30 feet this turn if you dash.

If you dash, you have a walking speed of 60' and a flying speed of 120'. In the scenario above, with the anti magic field 35' from either end of the hall, you fly 35' then hit the anti magic field. At that point you must dash to move at all and can only walk another 25' for a total of 60'. Then you are stuck. If you could somehow have made it another 5' to 65' then you could have flown the remaining 35' with 20' left over.

If someone shoves you 5' forward first and you choose to fill the save, then I think you can make it across.

Sure it could be that 30 foot section, I guess in my mind it didn't really matter where the anti-magic zone started, just that 30 feet of the hallway would be walking rather than flying. But if there is a placement of the anti-magic field that would change the answer I would be interested to hear about it.

It does matter where the anti magic zone is. If it starts at 30' and goes until 60' then you can fly once you reach the other side and reach the end of the hall. If it starts at 35' or later, you will run out of walking speed before you hit the end of the field.

Demonslayer666
2022-02-21, 11:59 AM
Mixed movement is based on how much movement you've used. If you have a walking speed of 30' and a fly speed of 60', you can walk 30' and then fly the remaining 30'. If you fly 30' first, you can't walk since you've reached the end of your walking speed.
If you dash, you have a walking speed of 60' and a flying speed of 120'. In the scenario above, with the anti magic field 35' from either end of the hall, you fly 35' then hit the anti magic field. At that point you must dash to move at all and can only walk another 25' for a total of 60'. Then you are stuck. If you could somehow have made it another 5' to 65' then you could have flown the remaining 35' with 20' left over.
It does matter where the anti magic zone is. If it starts at 30' and goes until 60' then you can fly once you reach the other side and reach the end of the hall. If it starts at 35' or later, you will run out of walking speed before you hit the end of the field.

Bob has it correct, I forgot that mixed movement uses up other forms of movement. Thanks Bob!