PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Reflavor instruments for a bard that doesn't play music

Oramac
2022-02-18, 01:04 AM
Hey all. So I've got an idea for a rogue/bard I want to play, but this particular character doesn't play music. At all. I even specifically dropped all instrument proficiencies in favor of languages and skills.

For reference, I'll be playing at 13th level as Mastermind Rogue 3 / Eloquence Bard 10. The focus is on social engineering and espionage. I'm using the Criminal (Spy) background, and if anyone has ever seen a TV show called "Burn Notice" this character is heavily based on Michael Westen from that show.

My question is, I'm trying to think of ways to reflavor the Rhythm-Maker's Drum from Tasha's to actually fit the character, and I'm coming up blank.

So, hivemind, I come to you. Any ideas?

Lindonius
2022-02-18, 01:17 AM
A friend of mine once played a bard who was a touring stand-up comedian. You could tell a silly joke and have the drum go "Ba Dum Tish!" Hey presto, restored Bardic Inspiration.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sting_(percussion)

OvisCaedo
2022-02-18, 01:29 AM
It has very simple effects that don't really have anything to do with music, so it could be pretty easily replaced with any conventional arcane focus.

If you want something a bit less generic, what DOES your bard focus on? Oratory could be an enchanted book of some kind, of... poetry or prose or whatever bards think is cool.

Oramac
2022-02-18, 01:51 AM
what DOES your bard focus on? Oratory could be an enchanted book of some kind, of... poetry or prose or whatever bards think is cool.

The focus is on social engineering and espionage. I'm using the Criminal (Spy) background, and if anyone has ever seen a TV show called "Burn Notice" this character is heavily based on Michael Westen from that show.

Edited the OP to add this.

Lacco
2022-02-18, 03:25 AM
Hey all. So I've got an idea for a rogue/bard I want to play, but this particular character doesn't play music. At all. I even specifically dropped all instrument proficiencies in favor of languages and skills.

For reference, I'll be playing at 13th level as Mastermind Rogue 3 / Eloquence Bard 10. The focus is on social engineering and espionage. I'm using the Criminal (Spy) background, and if anyone has ever seen a TV show called "Burn Notice" this character is heavily based on Michael Westen from that show.

My question is, I'm trying to think of ways to reflavor the Rhythm-Maker's Drum from Tasha's to actually fit the character, and I'm coming up blank.

So, hivemind, I come to you. Any ideas?

Social engineering?

"Scroll of Nefarious Purpose" :smallbiggrin: Lots of seals, ribbons, very officially looking document. You know how they say that when you are carrying some officially looking document and looking sufficiently stern, nobody in an administrative-heavy area will even look at you? Now this document could make it so - it may make you look like you belong there, and that you are some high-ranked official.

Also, could be used as "I have the paperwork here!".

Now bear in mind, I'm not 5E guy, so this is just an idea I had.

KillingTime
2022-02-18, 03:27 AM
Sunglasses.
A magical leather (alligator skin) wallet full of fake ID.
A beige suit.

Dualight
2022-02-18, 05:38 AM
Seconding the Scroll of nefarious purpose(Which I might just pilfer for a magic item in my own campaign(s)).
Another possibility would be a small bell, which you would ring when you need to get a noisy crowd back on track by drawing their attention.
technically it would still be an instrument, but its main use would not be musical in the slightest.

Lacco
2022-02-18, 06:52 AM
Seconding the Scroll of nefarious purpose(Which I might just pilfer for a magic item in my own campaign(s)).
Another possibility would be a small bell, which you would ring when you need to get a noisy crowd back on track by drawing their attention.
technically it would still be an instrument, but its main use would not be musical in the slightest.

Or an Everchanging Badge of Authority... :smallbiggrin:

Unless inspected in detail, it could provide you with "autoritaah!" over crowds and individuals. Just flash it.

Oramac
2022-02-18, 06:52 AM
Social engineering?

"Scroll of Nefarious Purpose" :smallbiggrin: Lots of seals, ribbons, very officially looking document. You know how they say that when you are carrying some officially looking document and looking sufficiently stern, nobody in an administrative-heavy area will even look at you? Now this document could make it so - it may make you look like you belong there, and that you are some high-ranked official.

Haha. Yea, Social (https://www.social-engineer.org/) Engineering (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_engineering_(security)). That's the cybersecurity guy in me showing through.

In any case, I love this idea. I'll have to run it past my DM, but I think it'll work all right.

Sunglasses.
A magical leather (alligator skin) wallet full of fake ID.
A beige suit.

Oh, a beige suit also sounds like a great idea. But only if it's beige!

I might as well. Truly a great idea.

animorte
2022-03-03, 12:35 AM
My very first PC was an Elf Bard that carried a lute everywhere and literally never took it off his back except for sleeping. I would legitimately write poems ahead of time preparing for sessions and that was always my performance. I was able to keep a lot of them relevant to the party and what we had done or were intending to do.

Psyren
2022-03-03, 03:21 PM
Social engineering?

Or an Everchanging Badge of Authority... :smallbiggrin:

Unless inspected in detail, it could provide you with "autoritaah!" over crowds and individuals. Just flash it.

This is all just psychic paper (https://tardis.fandom.com/wiki/Psychic_paper) with extra steps :smalltongue:

In any event, the drum isn't geared at convincing or affecting others, it's purely a buff to you (both uses). On an oratory bard, I would just make it be a quill or scroll or something.

Reach Weapon
2022-03-03, 04:24 PM
In any event, the drum isn't geared at convincing or affecting others, it's purely a buff to you (both uses). On an oratory bard, I would just make it be a quill or scroll or something.
Coming from a slightly different direction, a musical instrument is a tool, so a more direct swap would be to a forgery or disguise kit case, that gives the bonuses to your spells when held, and returns an inspiration when used.

Greywander
2022-03-03, 07:52 PM
My thought was to make it a dossier full of detailed information about your "target". You're about to cast Suggestion on a guard, and a quick glance at your notes reveals that he lives with his mother, bakes as a hobby, has a small yappy dog, and always does his laundry on Tuesdays. Using that information, you weave it into your suggestion to subtly manipulate the guard into doing what you want. You're constantly changing out the notes in your dossier with fresh ones from your contacts, and always seem to have information relevant to whoever you might be facing. As for why, either it's magic, or you're actually just that good at planning ahead.

Basically, I'm imagining the interrogation scene (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D7cPH7DHgA) from the first Matrix movie. "...And you help your land lady carry out her garbage."

Willowhelm
2022-03-03, 08:04 PM
For a straight reskin I’d switch it for a megaphone/microphone/speaker. Properly fluffed as a magic stone or other item to amplify your oratory skills.

KorvinStarmast
2022-03-03, 08:34 PM
Any ideas?
Go to the Entertainer background.
Read up on the various ways to perform. Not all of them are instruments.
Use what you learn there; stand up comedy, juggling, poetry, and so on.

1 Ac⁠tor
2 Dancer
3 Fire-eater
4 Jester
5 Juggler
6 Instrumentalist
7 Poet
8 Singer
9 Storyteller
10 Tumbler

SociopathFriend
2022-03-04, 03:43 AM
Personally as a Lizardfolk Bard- I just insisted the dude was roaring and there was magic in the roar.

Want Animated Objects? Roar fit to give motion to the motionless.

Want Counterspell? Roar and shout down the weaves of magic the opponent was using.

Death Ward? Roar and when an ally dies- the roar echoes again and their ghost jumps back into the body.

Burley
2022-03-04, 07:24 AM
How about a white noise machine? The party is so used to it, they barely notice it, but the enemy will be driven crazy by what they can only imagine is a bunch of snakes in a can.

MoiMagnus
2022-03-04, 07:38 AM
The focus is on social engineering and espionage.

That's great for RP and skill checks, but what is your focus on the magical side?
How do you justify that your character is able to do magic?

Bard usually have "music and arts are able to do magic".
Sorcerers have "I have magic in my blood".
Wizard have "I've studied magic during my whole life".
Cleric have "It's literally granted by the gods".

So, what's your magic? If you are naturally gifted with magic, you can take as a focaliser something that is linked with your heritage. If that's complex studies it's probably some some or magic book. You can also take an art that isn't music and have an object related to that art. Etc.

Segev
2022-03-04, 10:03 AM
Special toothpaste to get that trademark Weston Grin. The one that says, "Trust me, even though you know better."