PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Bard: College of Rock (PEACH)

Oramac
2022-02-18, 01:23 AM
Ok this is semi serious. I wanted to make lightning based subclasses for the classes that don't have them (so basically everything other than cleric and sorc). This is what I came up with for Bards. It definitely needs a lot of polish, and I know there's too many features. But I want to get feedback on what's good and bad, and what I need to add/remove.

Thanks!!

Bard: College of Rock (https://www.gmbinder.com/share/-MwAQp5hvalEcsHMn3EV)

Loek
2022-02-27, 04:42 PM
First off: the description... feels a little gothic, more then rock :-p but flavor shall flavor.

Then the actual features:
Bonus Proficiencies
This is a strictly better version than the one that a "College of Swords" bard gets... who is by far the more martial focused school of the two.
At the very least, use that College's text (maybe make the scimitar into a "pick one martial weapon") and go from there. But even so, I'd be tempted to limit both the armor and the weapon (so only certain types of medium armor and 1 martial weapon... maybe with some limitations)

Electric Light Orchestra
This one is a slightly worse version of the College of Whispers ability (the damage type is somewhat weaker, I'd say).
As a feature in the void, it's not bad.

Heavy Riff
The basic ability means that even as early as level 3, you can always out maneuver the "is resistant to non-magical weapons", which is a potent tool for the DM at those levels.
Ride the Lightning This ability isn't perfectly written (who is the target of the bardic inspiration here?)
Thunderstruck Mass knocking people prone is quite a good ability (advantage on melee). The Con save makes it a bit weaker.
Scream This one is probably to big of an effect for how little it costs. frightened basically means you have crowd control (not closer to you) on top of giving them all disadvantage on attacks and skills for a turn. But still... this seems strong. I'd reduce the AoE or make it a targeted ability instead.
Altogether, this seems decent idea wise, but a bit strong. The college of sword should again be looked at to tone it down quite a bit.

Shout It Out Loud
This one.. .I'd recommend using the (again) College of Swords idea here and give more uses to the heavy riff ability instead.
If you do wanna keep this ability. Make it so that it expends the die on a success, instead of a failure.
While the double boost seems a bit strong... it's only for CHA saves/skills, so that will help. (Also, I'm guessing you are going to get some negative modifiers thrown at you if you use something like this for "deception" checks... I'm thinking Elan and his "fool the stupid ogre" song :-p)

All things said, I think the idea might have some merit, but at the moment it seems to be boosted features from 2 different existing colleges. And that is too much.