PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Fighter Subclass: Skald

LibraryOgre
2022-02-18, 12:09 PM
First note: Why isn’t this a Barbarian subclass?
a) I kinda hate the Barbarian class
b) I do not want the Skald to have the rage mechanic
c) If I’m going to make a Barbarian subclass that emulates the Bard, it will be called Gonagall, and based off Pratchett’s Nac Mac Feegles.

3 - Poetic Retort. The Skald learns the Bard cantrip Vicious Mockery. When they score, or are subjected to, a critical hit, they may use Vicious Mockery as a bonus action (if they scored the hit) or a reaction (if they received the hit). The saving throw for their Bard cantrips and spells is 8 + Proficiency Bonus + Charisma Bonus; attack bonuses with their bardic spells is Proficiency Bonus + Charisma Bonus.
Additionally, the Skald learns two bard cantrips of choice, and gains proficiency with two musical instruments or languages of choice.

7 - Exhortation. As an action, the Skald may encourage an ally (including themselves) in an ability check. This encouragement adds one-half the Skald’s proficiency bonus (rounded up) to a check made before the end of the Skald's next turn. If used during a short rest, the Skald’s proficiency bonus is added to each hit die rolled for healing.

10 - Bardic Secrets. The Skald learns some Bardic Magic. At 10th level, select a total of 6 Bard spells from spell levels one to three. Each time the skald gains a level in this class, they may change one of the spells, but they must always be of levels 1-3. These are cast as Bard spells, and require use of components as detailed in the spells themselves.
Each day, the Skald has spell levels equal to their Proficiency Bonus + their Charisma bonus. Casting a spell requires expending these spell levels equal to the spell slot to be used by the spell for that casting. At 10th level, this can be no higher than 2nd level spell slots; at levels 12, 14, 16, and 18, this limit increases by 1, so an 18th level skald may use a 6th level spell slot, expending 6 of their available spell levels. These spell levels return at the end of a long rest.
If feats are being used, and the Skald has the Magic Initiate: Bard feat, then the spell learned from that feat is a bonus to the spells known, and the feat adds 1 additional spell level per long rest. A Skald may take the Magic Initiate: Bard feat as many times as they wish, if feats are in use.
The Skald becomes proficient in Charisma saves.

15 - Greater Exhortation. As an action, the Skald may extend the benefit of Exhortation to all allies within a 30’ radius. Additionally, the bonus of Exhortation applies to attack rolls and saving throws. This bonus only lasts until the end of the Skald’s next turn, but the bonus may be maintained if the skald spends their bonus action each round to do so. This ability requires concentration, like a spell. If concentration is lost, then Greater Exhoration must be restarted as an action.

18 - Skaldic Curse. As a bonus action, a Skald may lay a curse (as bestow curse) on a target within 60'. The target is allowed a Wisdom saving throw to avoid the curse. The curse is not subject to Counterspelling, and requires only Verbal components (the laying of the curse). This curse will last for up to 1 minute, subject to concentration, but the skald can extend that duration to 10 minutes (with concentration) by expending 1 level of their Bardic Magic, 8 hours with 2 level of bardic magic, 24 hours with 4 levels, and until dispelled with 6 levels; these levels must be spent when the curse is laid, and are lost if the Wisdom saving throw is made. The Skald regains the use of this ability after a short or long rest.

3 - Poetic Retort. The Skald learns the Bard cantrip Vicious Mockery. When they score, or are subjected to, a critical hit, they may use Vicious Mockery as a bonus action (if they scored the hit) or a reaction (if they received the hit). The saving throw for their Bard cantrips and spells is 8 + Proficiency Bonus + Charisma Bonus; attack bonuses with their bardic spells is Proficiency Bonus + Charisma Bonus.
Additionally, the Skald learns two bard cantrips of choice, and gains proficiency with two musical instruments or languages of choice.

7 - Exhortation. As an action, the Skald may encourage an ally (including themselves) in an ability check that will take place this round or the next. This encouragement adds one-half the Skald’s proficiency bonus (rounded up) to the check. If used during a short rest, the Skald’s proficiency bonus is added to each hit die rolled for healing.

10 - Bardic Secrets. The Skald learns some Bardic Magic. At 10th level, select a total of 6 Bard spells from spell levels one to three. Each day, the Skald is able to use up to proficiency bonus + Charisma Bonus in spell levels of these 6 spells, using no more than 6 levels at a time. A Skald with Proficiency + Charisma Bonus of 7, for example, may cast a single Cure Wounds as with a 6th level spell slot, and then a single casting with a 1st level spell slot, or may cast a 3rd level spell, a 2nd level spell, and two 1st level spells. These are cast as Bard spells, and require use of components as detailed in the spells themselves. These spell levels return at the end of a long rest.

15 - Greater Exhortation. As an action, the Skald may extend the benefit of Exhortation to all allies within a 30’ radius. Additionally, the bonus of Exhortation applies to attack rolls and saving throws. This bonus only lasts until the end of the Skald’s next turn, but the bonus may be maintained if the skald spends their bonus action each round to do so. This ability requires concentration, like a spell. If concentration is lost, then Greater Exhoration must be restarted as an action.

18 - Skaldic Curse. As the first attack of an attack action, a skald may lay a curse (as bestow curse) upon a target against whom the skald succeeds in touching. Each curse allows the victim a Wisdom saving throw to avoid that curse. This curse will last for up to 1 minute, subject to concentration, but the skald can extend that duration to 10 minutes (with concentration) by expending 1 level of their Bardic Magic, 8 hours with 2 level of bardic magic, 24 hours with 4 levels, and until dispelled with 6 levels; these levels must be spent before the touch attack is resolved, and are lost if the touch is unsuccessful, or if the Wisdom saving throw is made.

3 - Poetic Retort. The Skald learns the Bard cantrip Vicious Mockery, plus two other Bard cantrips of choice. When they score, or are subjected to, a critical hit, they may use Vicious Mockery as a bonus action (if they scored the hit) or a reaction (if they received the hit). The saving throw for their Bard cantrips and spells is 8 + Proficiency Bonus + Charisma Bonus; attack bonuses with their bardic spells is Proficiency Bonus + Charisma Bonus.

7 - Exhortation. As a standard action, the Skald may encourage an ally (including themselves) in an ability check that will take place this round or the next. This encouragement adds one-half the Skald’s proficiency bonus to the check. If used during a short rest, the Skald’s proficiency bonus is added to each hit die rolled for healing.

10 - Bardic Secrets. The Skald learns some Bardic Magic. At 10th level, select a total of 6 Bard spells from spell levels one to three. Each day, the Skald is able to use up to proficiency bonus + Charisma Bonus in spell levels of these 6 spells, using no more than 6 levels at a time. A Skald with Proficiency + Charisma Bonus of 7, for example, may cast a single Cure Wounds as with a 6th level spell slot, and then a single casting with a 1st level spell slot, or may cast a 3rd level spell, a 2nd level spell, and two 1st level spells. These are cast as Bard spells, and require use of components as detailed in the spells themselves. These spell levels return at the end of a long rest.

15 - Greater Exhortation. As a standard action, the Skald may extend the benefit of Exhortation to all allies within a 30’ radius. Additionally, the bonus of Exhortation applies to attack rolls and saving throws. This bonus only lasts until the end of the Skald’s next turn, but the bonus may be maintained if the skald spends their bonus action each round to do so.

18 - Skaldic Curse. As the first attack of an attack action, a skald may lay a curse (as bestow curse) upon a target against whom the skald succeeds in touching. The skald may lay multiple curses, one per attack action. Each curse allows the victim a Wisdom saving throw to avoid that curse. This curse will last for 1 minute, without concentration, but the skald can extend that duration to 10 minutes by expending 1 level of their Bardic Magic, 8 hours with 2 level of bardic magic, 24 hours with 4 levels, and until dispelled with 6 levels; these levels must be spent before the touch attack is resolved, and are lost if the touch is unsuccessful, or if the Wisdom saving throw is made.

Skrum
2022-02-19, 10:30 AM
I LOVE this. The 3rd level and 10th level abilities in particular are extremely cool and flavorful.

My main area of criticism is the 7th level ability. That's extremely underwhelming. Yes it can be used at will, but an action for a +1 bonus...? That's not even as good as a cantrip (which can also be used at will). Keeping with the same theme and off the top of my head, maybe do something like

"As an action, you may bolster your allies or yourself with word. The target gains half your level + Cha bonus temp HP. These HP lasts for 1 minute (or until depleted), or the target may chose to expend the HP before the duration is up to gain advantage on a skill check of their choice. The activity or action that the skill check is for must be no longer than 10 minutes. This ability may be used a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus. Charges replenish with a short or long rest."

I think of a Skald as a warrior-bard, so giving some combat utility seems appropriate.

At 15th level, it can basically be the same: Temp HP for all allies within 30 ft, and the temp hp may be spent to gain advantage on a skill check, attack roll, or saving throw

JNAProductions
2022-02-19, 12:02 PM
Poetic Retort looks fine. Little lackluster though-I'd add some more oomph to level 3.

Exhortation should just be "action", not "standard action". But otherwise looks good!

Bardic Secrets is worded a little funnily, but I don't see a good way to clean it up. Balance-wise looks fine.

Greater Exhortation is an issue. +2 (then +3 at level 17+) to basically all d20 rolls, maintained as a bonus action... That's kinda nuts.

Skaldic Curse is also an issue. Notably, with just a hit, you can lay on the "Wisdom save or lose your turn" curse for a minute, at no resource cost. Bestow Curse is normally a 3rd level spell-and you can do it better (no concentration!) at-will.

LibraryOgre
2022-02-19, 02:05 PM
My main area of criticism is the 7th level ability. That's extremely underwhelming. Yes it can be used at will, but an action for a +1 bonus...? That's not even as good as a cantrip (which can also be used at will). Keeping with the same theme and off the top of my head, maybe do something like

This is, in fact, intentionally designed after the Guidance cantrip, mixed along with being a low-power (but low-resource) version of the Inspiration Die. I agree that it's fairly underwhelming but it's attraction is the low resource... you can do it whenever, and keep it up for almost free (whereas Guidance requires concentration, and ends after it is used).

What if it were changed to "half your proficiency bonus, rounded up"? It buffs the bonus at 7th level, while not approaching actual bardic inspiration in effect (partially because it is cheap to free to use).

At 15th level, it can basically be the same: Temp HP for all allies within 30 ft, and the temp hp may be spent to gain advantage on a skill check, attack roll, or saving throw

I think throwing some temp HP at the 15th level version is a good idea; it is, essentially, a combined Bless + Guidance, but this one to a group.

Poetic Retort looks fine. Little lackluster though-I'd add some more oomph to level 3.

Beyond the two extra bard cantrips? Maybe proficiency in a few instruments?

Exhortation should just be "action", not "standard action". But otherwise looks good!

Lots of Wrath of the Righteous recently; I'll make the change.

Bardic Secrets is worded a little funnily, but I don't see a good way to clean it up. Balance-wise looks fine.[/quote]

That was my problem, too. I don't want to make them great Bard casters, so the "you can spend X number of slots, but no more than 6 at one time" kept them reasonable, without being real casters.

Greater Exhortation is an issue. +2 (then +3 at level 17+) to basically all d20 rolls, maintained as a bonus action... That's kinda nuts.

What if it also required concentration? So, you maintain it with a bonus action, but if you lose concentration, it ends as well?

Skaldic Curse is also an issue. Notably, with just a hit, you can lay on the "Wisdom save or lose your turn" curse for a minute, at no resource cost. Bestow Curse is normally a 3rd level spell-and you can do it better (no concentration!) at-will.

On the other hand, this isn't too different than the wizard's Spell Mastery and Signature Spells. However, I think putting back the concentration is a pretty good idea... especially as it would therefore interfere with the two Exhortation abilities.

Thanks, y'all!

LibraryOgre
2022-02-19, 02:15 PM
New version above. Major changes:

1) At 3rd level, the Skald also gains proficiency in two instruments or languages; extra cantrips are more clearly mentioned.

2) Exhortation is now half proficiency, rounded up.

3) Greater Exhortation now requires concentration.

4) Skaldic Curse now requires concentration, unless 2 or more spell slots are spent to extend duration.

MrStabby
2022-02-20, 08:32 PM
I really like this as an option - lots of good ideas here. My personal thoughts to follow:

First note: Why isn’t this a Barbarian subclass?
a) I kinda hate the Barbarian class
b) I do not want the Skald to have the rage mechanic
c) If I’m going to make a Barbarian subclass that emulates the Bard, it will be called Gonagall, and based off Pratchett’s Nac Mac Feegles.

a) I can get behind this
b) Totally agree
c) Agree even harder

Honestly, this feels weak. There is the odd element of mocking an enemy for landing a critical hit on you - which feels weird, but mostly I think the power level is a bit low. Champion is not a strong subclass but has a similar one in 20 chance on an attack of doing something extra and also seems to ge better other abilities. Hitting someone for d4 damage+disadvantage as a bonus action is OK I guess, but they need to be alive for this... and they just ate a critical hit. And you need to have no competing use for the bonus action... and a class that can take extra feats, many of the best of which give you great bonus action posabilities. I would argue you could give a dozen bonus languages and instrument proficiencies and it wouldn't make it strong.

Not being able to chose when to use it just makes it a pretty small random bonus.

On the other hand, this seems such an awesomely thematic ability - literally adding insult to injury. If it were me, I would be tempted to just make the cantrip part of the attack and have the ability grow a bit more in scope by expanding the range that you get to cast it on - natural 20 at level 3, 19+ at level 7, 18+ at 15 and 17+ at level 18. A lot of level 3 fighter abilities are the core of the subclass and are not only powerful but grow significantly in power as the fighter levels up.

7 - Exhortation. As an action, the Skald may encourage an ally (including themselves) in an ability check that will take place this round or the next. This encouragement adds one-half the Skald’s proficiency bonus (rounded up) to the check. If used during a short rest, the Skald’s proficiency bonus is added to each hit die rolled for healing.

It's a nice out of combat ability. Actually, not a great out of combat ability but not all abilities should be superpowers and giving the fighter a nice supporting ability there is good. If you keep the same level 3 ability though the fighter will be looking a bit underpowered in combat at this level though. "This round or the next" may need some clarification though - does it rely on recording where initiative started? Is it measured with respect to the character using the ability? Usual phrasing is "until the end of your next turn" or similar, but I am guessing you want longer?

Ok, this takes a little getting the head round... I am not sure what to think about this. It is no doubt a really powerful ability, giving huge versatility and great tools to add to a fighter. It does feel like it might be a discontinuity in the character, if they pick up so much spellcasting so late on. It also feels like it might cause a bit of a rift between choices you want to make in the early game and the late game, like a monk who wants good saves but doesn't know if they will reach level 14). I could see this ability being used as a tool to flesh out bonus actions if you start at higher levels (healing word, heat metal) but not picking up a feat that also does this early is then painful. Then the use of components is paricularly painful on a martial class that may want hands full with swords and shields etc..

Usual flag around things like Eberron races and Ravnica Backgrounds that add spells to a class spell list for you - a level of bard and one of these and you might be spamming things you were not expecting to be spammed... though nothing jumps out as being worse than 10 castings of Silvery Barbs per diem. This is a LOT of spellcasting to pick up from a class feature that isn't the core defining feature of the archetype that grows with the character.

Also, are you ever supposed to be able to change these spells?

OK, exhortation was pretty weak but this turns that around a bit. Sure, its level 15 and things are getting pretty powerful at this point but a +3 to initiative, to attack rolls, to saving throws, to grapple checks... it all adds up. Paladin aura at level 6 stays relevant (and this is at 30ft and does more). Imagine this with a party that likes a lot of summoned creatures - think what a bundle of skeleton archers could do if they had a significant bonus to hit? The bonus action and concentration are real costs though - I think this is a really great ability that isn't just always something you use, but needs a bit of thought.

18 - Skaldic Curse. As the first attack of an attack action, a skald may lay a curse (as bestow curse) upon a target against whom the skald succeeds in touching. Each curse allows the victim a Wisdom saving throw to avoid that curse. This curse will last for up to 1 minute, subject to concentration, but the skald can extend that duration to 10 minutes (with concentration) by expending 1 level of their Bardic Magic, 8 hours with 2 level of bardic magic, 24 hours with 4 levels, and until dispelled with 6 levels; these levels must be spent before the touch attack is resolved, and are lost if the touch is unsuccessful, or if the Wisdom saving throw is made.

Does the atack need to hit? Does it need to be directed against the target? Is there a range limitation? Is this a way to cast Bestow Curse on an Enemy that would otherwise be out of range? Is it casting the spell and can it be subjected to counterspell? Does it need the verbal and somatic components?

Honestly the scaling on this seems pretty cheap. Still, its a cool ability and at level 18 you can have something really good.

I really like what you have here - one thing I especially like is that it seems to keep giving you things that a) make you feel special and b) are powerful enough to keep you in the class highter than the fighter usually does. The things that make me worry are that it might feel like sometimes you have switched to a different character. Some of the abilities are so revolutionary and not building on previour abilities that they seem odd. Actually, pretty much just the bardic spellcasting, but its a big discontinuity there (also it feels like its stepping on the toes of the the Eldritch Knight a bit there).

LibraryOgre
2022-02-21, 03:23 PM
Not being able to chose when to use it just makes it a pretty small random bonus.

Note that you straight-up have the Cantrip, as well. You can use it like any other cantrip. It just has extra utility when you're involved in a critical. And, I thought of the "they just got hit by a critical" issue... note that a critical allows you to use the cantrip, but it does not chose the target. Drop the bad guy, and you can make fun of his friend.

On the other hand, this seems such an awesomely thematic ability - literally adding insult to injury. If it were me, I would be tempted to just make the cantrip part of the attack and have the ability grow a bit more in scope by expanding the range that you get to cast it on - natural 20 at level 3, 19+ at level 7, 18+ at 15 and 17+ at level 18. A lot of level 3 fighter abilities are the core of the subclass and are not only powerful but grow significantly in power as the fighter levels up.

So, Vicious Mockery as a Bonus Action, whenever? I think it loses the thematic, and it makes the Skald's use of the ability strictly better than the Bard's, rather than situationally better.

It's a nice out of combat ability. Actually, not a great out of combat ability but not all abilities should be superpowers and giving the fighter a nice supporting ability there is good. If you keep the same level 3 ability though the fighter will be looking a bit underpowered in combat at this level though. "This round or the next" may need some clarification though - does it rely on recording where initiative started? Is it measured with respect to the character using the ability? Usual phrasing is "until the end of your next turn" or similar, but I am guessing you want longer?

"End of your next turn" is a good option; it means that everyone, including yourself, can use the bonus.

Usual flag around things like Eberron races and Ravnica Backgrounds that add spells to a class spell list for you - a level of bard and one of these and you might be spamming things you were not expecting to be spammed... though nothing jumps out as being worse than 10 castings of Silvery Barbs per diem. This is a LOT of spellcasting to pick up from a class feature that isn't the core defining feature of the archetype that grows with the character.

Also, are you ever supposed to be able to change these spells?

Good point about changing the spells, I'll need to include some mechanics for that.

However, I'm less worried about these being difficult to use in combat, or being a big discontinuity of character. If you're two-weapon or sword and board, you're going to be less able to do these in combat, though there's easily six spells in the PH that are verbal-only, including a couple useful ones that are bonus actions. If you're two-handed or archery, you can manage the somatics just fine (take your hand off your weapon, then put it back on). I view spellcasting foci as being full-caster-privileges, and I think the half-casting subclasses bear this out (though, obviously, I included foci for Crusaders, because I am fickle).

For discontinuity? I think this meshes just fine with having the Magic Initiate feat for bards, though I might want to add that, in that case, it adds 1 spell and 1 spell level per day, once you get this feature. This is, however, about adding some breadth and versatility to the subclass... they can do more bard things, but strictly less so than a full bard, and less than a class whose purpose is to emulate a spellcaster. If you look at the Eldritch Knight, at 10th level, they've got 10 spell levels (4 + 3*2), and 7 spells known. At 20th, when the skald will have, at most, 11 spell levels and know 6 spells, the Eldritch Knight will have 23 spell levels and know 13 spells.

Does the atack need to hit? Does it need to be directed against the target? Is there a range limitation? Is this a way to cast Bestow Curse on an Enemy that would otherwise be out of range? Is it casting the spell and can it be subjected to counterspell? Does it need the verbal and somatic components?

Honestly the scaling on this seems pretty cheap. Still, its a cool ability and at level 18 you can have something really good.

Yes, the attack needs to hit. It has to be directed against the target. (Looking at it, I may need to add "melee" there; I always forget about ranged, but they do have to be touched).

It is not casting a spell; it requires verbal components (saying the curse), and a sort of somatic components (you have to hit the person. I'll get specific on those.

As for the scaling, that's the scaling in Bestow Curse, itself. 3rd level spell (base casting) is 1 minute, Concentration. 4th level slot (1 additional spell level) is 10 minutes, concentration. 5th or 6th (2 additional spell slots), 8 hours. 7th, 24 hours (4 slots). 9th, indefinite (6 slots). Basically, this allows the skald to cast Bestow Curse on people they're fighting. It is slightly above a wizard's Spell Mastery (in that it is a 3rd level spell), but it is also singular and fixed.

Really, though, looking at this, I might need to tone that down. That I'm defending it by comparing it to a 18th level Wizard spell feature is a bit much. I think making it a bonus action or reaction (an upgraded vicious mockery), with a 1/rest limitation makes it more reasonable.

LibraryOgre
2022-02-21, 03:48 PM
New version up top. Changes by level:

3rd - No change
7th - duration clarified to "end of Skald's next turn"
10th - Lots of changes, some verbiage, some not.
-Can change 1 spell each time they level up
-Changed wording to make spell level usage a bit more clear (I hope)
-Added limit on spell level use; no more than 2 at level 10, +1 at 12, 14, 16, 18 (to max of 6, as previous)
-Note about Magic Initiate: Bard, if feats are in use
15th - No change
18th - Significant changes; gives some, takes away some, mostly weakening the ability to once per rest.
-Curse is bonus action, not part of attack action
-Curse may be laid within 60' (as vicious mockery)
-Curse requires only verbal components, cannot be counterspelled
-Curse may only be done 1/rest

Gurgeh
2022-02-21, 08:49 PM
I think this is quite well thought-through (and I especially appreciate the choice of Fighter for the chassis); I wonder if the Reaction for Poetic Retort might be altered to be team-based, rather than solely based on the Skald?

For instance, they can cast Vicious Mockery as a Reaction whenever they or an ally they can see scores a critical hit? That way they can quite literally add insult to injuries inflicted by a friend.

MrStabby
2022-02-22, 07:54 AM
Note that you straight-up have the Cantrip, as well. You can use it like any other cantrip. It just has extra utility when you're involved in a critical. And, I thought of the "they just got hit by a critical" issue... note that a critical allows you to use the cantrip, but it does not chose the target. Drop the bad guy, and you can make fun of his friend.

I might be missing something, but the value of knowing a cantrip seems pretty low as a class feature - I get its cool on something like a cleric where it is competing with sacred flame or toll the dead as an at will action, but this is competing with the fighter's attack action. Losing out on (probably) multiple attacks with bonuses from fighting styles, weapon bonuses, feats etc. seems a really big cost.

Now killing someone and mocking their friend was something I missed. I still think the ability is weak for the level that the subclasses get their defining feature, but it does have more use than I had originally thought.

So, Vicious Mockery as a Bonus Action, whenever? I think it loses the thematic, and it makes the Skald's use of the ability strictly better than the Bard's, rather than situationally better.

I wasn't thinking as a bonus action whenever - I was meaning that when you score a critical it happens automatically as part of the attack, no bonus action needed and so it also works with reaction and bonus action attacks. At level 5 a fighter cand be making 4 attacks per round (without action surge but using bonus actions and reactions); I think expanding the opportunity to get a useful critical would really help the ability.

"End of your next turn" is a good option; it means that everyone, including yourself, can use the bonus.

Good point about changing the spells, I'll need to include some mechanics for that.

However, I'm less worried about these being difficult to use in combat, or being a big discontinuity of character. If you're two-weapon or sword and board, you're going to be less able to do these in combat, though there's easily six spells in the PH that are verbal-only, including a couple useful ones that are bonus actions. If you're two-handed or archery, you can manage the somatics just fine (take your hand off your weapon, then put it back on). I view spellcasting foci as being full-caster-privileges, and I think the half-casting subclasses bear this out (though, obviously, I included foci for Crusaders, because I am fickle).

Yeah, the character having a big discontinuity isn't the end of the world. Picking up this much spellcasting at level 10 will seem odd for a bit, but I guess no big deal really. You could even specify a spell that only has verbal components here - it would make the ability weaker but would help stop this from stepping on the bard's toes by being a bit more restrictive?

For discontinuity? I think this meshes just fine with having the Magic Initiate feat for bards, though I might want to add that, in that case, it adds 1 spell and 1 spell level per day, once you get this feature. This is, however, about adding some breadth and versatility to the subclass... they can do more bard things, but strictly less so than a full bard, and less than a class whose purpose is to emulate a spellcaster. If you look at the Eldritch Knight, at 10th level, they've got 10 spell levels (4 + 3*2), and 7 spells known. At 20th, when the skald will have, at most, 11 spell levels and know 6 spells, the Eldritch Knight will have 23 spell levels and know 13 spells.
I guess I am comparing what different subclasses get at this level: Eldritch knight has already got spellcasting but gets a cool ability to get more out of it by maing saves tougher, the banneret gets to support allies making an attack when they use an action surge, battlemaster upgrades superiority dice from d8s to d10s, cavaliers get hold the line to reduce mobility from opportunity attacks, champion gets a second fighting style, samurali can recover a use of fighting spirit... Level 10 seems to be a modest level for fighters, where previous abilities are built on and get a small enhancement.

Yes, the attack needs to hit. It has to be directed against the target. (Looking at it, I may need to add "melee" there; I always forget about ranged, but they do have to be touched).

It is not casting a spell; it requires verbal components (saying the curse), and a sort of somatic components (you have to hit the person. I'll get specific on those.

As for the scaling, that's the scaling in Bestow Curse, itself. 3rd level spell (base casting) is 1 minute, Concentration. 4th level slot (1 additional spell level) is 10 minutes, concentration. 5th or 6th (2 additional spell slots), 8 hours. 7th, 24 hours (4 slots). 9th, indefinite (6 slots). Basically, this allows the skald to cast Bestow Curse on people they're fighting. It is slightly above a wizard's Spell Mastery (in that it is a 3rd level spell), but it is also singular and fixed.

Really, though, looking at this, I might need to tone that down. That I'm defending it by comparing it to a 18th level Wizard spell feature is a bit much. I think making it a bonus action or reaction (an upgraded vicious mockery), with a 1/rest limitation makes it more reasonable.

Yeah, I got that that is where the scaling comes from, it just seemed like you were able to buy a lot of extra power with a relatively abundant resource. In my mind this came back to fighters having awesome at will attacks - losing the opportunity to cast a low level spell isn't much of a loss when you can substitute in an awesome attack action instead. For a caster that, if they ran out of resources, would be substitution in a cantrip or a much less good attack, this has more of an opportunity cost.

Honestly, at level 18 having an awesome ability like this is fine. I just don't see wizards (or bards with their magical secrets) casting wish and feeling envious that they didn't chose to do this instead. Giving this kind of longer term more strategic element to fighters seems good to me.

LibraryOgre
2022-02-22, 01:29 PM
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I've really appreciated it, and y'all have really helped this subclass to shine. I think I've hit a good place with this; not everyone agrees with the choices (which is cool), but no one thinks I've got something WAY out of whack, which is about where I want to be.

Again, thanks for your help.