PDA

View Full Version : Strange requests from me to my DM

Entessa
2022-02-18, 12:28 PM
In my realm, there has been for a long time an immortal king that has lived through countless era, until he has foreseen that he could have died if stabbed with a cursed dagger, made by a fanatic that killed himself to make the dagger itself.

Suffice to say, the immortal king tasked the party to find the dagger and to only deliver it to him, but they didn't act as asked - they delivered it to an arch-enemy of the king that slain the immortal king and started posing as him.

In this caos, I joined the party, now keen on fleeing the fake king (that knows that they know). Suffice to say, I saved their lives while they were being imprisoned by the dwarves.

I talked with my DM and I had a very brilliant idea - my character is an oathbreaker and, after using the zone of truth, I discovered that the characters truly believe that the king is dead (even if the dwarves themselves have started laughing at them at the mere idea of such an event). I told them I serve an immortal master, and that the master is the immortal king himself.

They want proof and personally my character wants to go a bit further - tell them that he has part of the essence of the immortal king inside him.

But how would I prove to them that I am or I have a master that is the immortal king? I asked the DM and he is clueless on how I would achieve such a feat, even if the idea was deemed by him interesting.

Edit: note that I told them that I saved their life for a reason (that's the first clue I gave them), but they want solid proof. How do I give them what they want ?

JackPhoenix
2022-02-18, 01:00 PM
Why don't you ask THEM what kind of proof they want? You can lead them to the 'king' to get him to confirm your claim, if they really want, but that's propably not a good idea...

EggKookoo
2022-02-18, 01:01 PM
More info would be helpful.

Why did the party betray the original king?

Why did the king approach the party in the first place?

Why did the imposter king turn on the party?

Maybe there are some tidbits in those answers that might help spark something.

Easy e
2022-02-18, 03:37 PM
.... or they don't believe you.

As long as you are part of the party, it doesn't matter.

Entessa
2022-02-19, 03:32 PM
Why don't you ask THEM what kind of proof they want? You can lead them to the 'king' to get him to confirm your claim, if they really want, but that's propably not a good idea...

I will answer you both. I may have not been clear, but the immortal king is dead. The party killed him.

Let’s start from beginning:
There are countless legends in the lore of the “plane” I'm in, where it is said that an immortal king has been there or a very long time, a time so long that everyone believes that death can not touch him.
The king knew of the existance of an artifact that could actually kill him, a powerful dagger. He had powerful enemies and he was wary of everyone that was working with/for him, for lies and deception was enemy’s best ally.

For this reason, he tasked the party to get the dagger, but… the party acted so foolishly they simply delivered the dagger to the wrong person. Rather than giving him to the emperor himself, they gave it to the enemy of the king, that was slain.

The party even watched while all of this happened, unsure of what to do, because they had no real link to the king. They decided to flee.

The impostor is now disguised as the “real” king and wants to kill them, because they know the truth and they stole the dagger used to kill the emperor himself.

The party fled only to finish in another land where the dwarves took them prisoners. The dwarves are currently in war with Yuan-ti that live in a nearby area/nation. Dwarves believed they were Yuan-ti spies and tried to interrogate them, until the moment they answered so badly that they were gonna be killed.
In their ingenuity, they simply stated the truth: when asked why they were there, they claimed in front of a big gathering of dwarves that the Immortal king was dead and that now they were being hunted because they knew the truth. The answer they received by the dwarf was a big laugh, for the emperor is believed to be truly immortal.
The dwarf believed they were actually making fun of them and sentenced them to death, but my character stepped in and saved them.

Given that I’m “pragmatic” I actually checked if they were telling the truth and asked them many questions while they were inside a zone of truth. They truly believed the emperor king was dead and they have the dagger used to kill the Emperor with them!
[note as a player: I thought that my character would surely see an opportunity here!].
So, what now? I need to investigate a little further and I simply started by asking them to give me the dagger. They don’t want to part with it.
But you see, my character could claim a whole reign by stating he is the emperor! I told them I was a follower of the emperor king and that I needed the dagger used to kill him, but the party does not want to part from it yet. I said them I serve an higher master, the emperor king himself, but they asked for proof.
The party’s mage asked if I could bring him to the emperor, or if I could prove it in some way. The real question is: how?

Issues I have:

- I have no proof I’ve been working in the past with the emperor king, simply because I was brought to this plane recently. I have a good relationship with the dwarves because when I was brought to the plane, I actually found myself near their borders. I was “unlucky” and I happened to be also near a party of Yuan-ti – they tried to catch me, but by killing a couple of them while escaping, I gained the Dwarf “sympathy” – not trust. They gave me a house, weapons, but asked for help against the Yuan-ti in exchange for my life and living in a comfy house. Not bad, I would say. But I have nothing for my “bluff”.

- I could claim that the immortal king resides in me, because he had a backup plan in case things would have gone awry. But I have no memory nor knowledge of what he is, what he was, what he did. How could I fake such a thing ?

- I am a changeling. Could that help?

JackPhoenix
2022-02-19, 08:25 PM
Sounds like you're trying to run a scheme way above your means. At this point, the simplest, most reasonable solution would be to find out as much as you can, kill them (or get someone else to kill them) and loot the dagger from their corpses. Which, obviously, is not a viable option in (most) games.

Unoriginal
2022-02-19, 08:36 PM
So, just so I understand correctly:

Your character is not actually linked to the immortal king, and is just trying to con the PCs and/or the Dwarves to get his hands on the magic dagger, which you think will help you take over the empire?