PDA

View Full Version : What completely mundane feats would you like to have IRL?

H_H_F_F
2022-02-19, 12:06 PM
Most feats that are awesome in D&D wouldn't be very useful IRL (power attack, craven, etc...)
I think most of us would like feats that would impact our day to day, or let us do new things. It's a different set of parameters for what makes a good feat.

For me, cold endurance and endurance are both up there, but the big ones come from CAdv: Jack of All trades (obvious) and brachiation (come on). Open minded could net you a couple of languages with 0 effort.

How about you?

Mike Miller
2022-02-19, 12:07 PM
Toughness seven times

Beni-Kujaku
2022-02-19, 12:20 PM
Disease Immunity (cancer). Not only are you immune to the most frequent deadly disease‚ your transfusions can help your loved ones recover from basically anything. I am O+‚ so I could help basically anyone.

H_H_F_F
2022-02-19, 01:02 PM
Disease Immunity (cancer). Not only are you immune to the most frequent deadly disease‚ your transfusions can help your loved ones recover from basically anything. I am O+‚ so I could help basically anyone.

Excellent suggestion.

loky1109
2022-02-19, 01:02 PM
You are great!

MaxiDuRaritry
2022-02-19, 01:08 PM
Loyalty's Reward (Kingdoms of Kalamar) for:

1.) Taking the Loyalty's Reward feat multiple times.

2.) Expanding Loyalty's Reward to encompass less mundane uses than the OP assumes.

3.) Converting my RL self into 3.5 XP, class, magic/psionics, skill, feat, and leveling rules (converted to reality as required by the commonest of sense; ie, no drown-healing, and sight is based on light sources, not one's position in darkness or light), along with a quick character rebuild. No multiclass penalties, though.

4.) Gaining psionic manifesting, arcane spellcasting, and divine spellcasting.

5.) Immortality and eternal youth.

Troacctid
2022-02-19, 03:33 PM
Jack of All Trades. Just have basic competence in literally every field.
Kobold Endurance. It's so hard to endure kobolds normally, it would be nice to have a boost.
Faster Healing. Obviously just really nice.
Fearless Destiny. Never die in an accident unless it happens twice in the same day.
Filth Eater. +4 against all diseases and against food poisoning, and reduce the effects even if I fail the save. That's pretty big for QOL.
Multilingual. Get me some extra languages.
Mercantile Background. Gimme that generational wealth plz.
Landlord. I mean can you imagine owning real estate?!
Draconic Senses. Improved eyesight, yes please.

ben-zayb
2022-02-19, 05:58 PM
Leadership: I'm quite surprised no one mentioned this yet. Even if you're already a leader IRL, being a LeaderTM is something else entirely.
Martial Study: Many maneuvers enhance mobility (mostly Shadow Hand, but also Tiger Claw and White Raven) and survival (mostly Devoted Spirit healing). Iron Heart Surge with its strictest reading removes conditions such as dying/dead, disabled/unconscious/helpless, dazed/stunned/paralyzed/immobilized, dazzled/blinded/deafened, exhausted/fatigued, shaken/frightened/panicked, sickened/nauseated, etc. A more generous reading of which "effect" it removes may include all manners of physical illnesses, mental illnesses, and genetic disorders.
Martial Stance: Your choice of enhanced senses (Hunter's Sense, Hearing the Air), mobility (Absolute Steel, Step of the Wind, Leaping Dragon Stance, Dance of the Spider, Step of the Dancing Moth), or survival (Aura of Triumph, Aura of Perfect Order, Immortal Fortitude, Martial Spirit)
Able Learner: If half a skill rank from JoAT isn't enough to diversify your skillset, this may help.
Rapid Metabolism: Natural healing will be the default way for people to heal up, and this benefits people with already good Con score.
Troll Blooded: Regeneration.

If we're restricted to standard amount of feats at level 20 (7 feats + 1 bonus feat for being a human), then I'll go for:
1 Able Learner, Troll Blooded
3 Jack of All Trades
6 Leadership
9 Martial Study: Disarming Strike, to be retrained later
12 Martial Study (Iron Heart Surge)
15 Martial Stance (Absolute Steel), then retrain L9 feat to Martial Study (Shadow Jaunt)
18 Martial Stance (Dance of the Spider)

MaxiDuRaritry
2022-02-19, 06:17 PM
Ooh. I have another one! Ancestral Relic (Psychoactive Skin-Graft of Proteus With Hammerspace (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?177889-Brainstorm-for-Psionic-Tricks-Tactics-and-Combos-Handbook&p=23285432&viewfull=1#post23285432)). So many benefits that it's hard to overstate them.

Then stack Landlord on that (since one can metamorphosis into a building, so it counts as a stronghold for you to invest in; just add magic item qualities instead of stronghold qualities, since Landlord never states how to add the money into your stronghold).

Now I can be a superhero supervillain shapeshifting guy who's a hero for fun!

Harrow
2022-02-19, 07:33 PM
Ooh. I have another one! Ancestral Relic (Psychoactive Skin-Graft of Proteus With Hammerspace (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?177889-Brainstorm-for-Psionic-Tricks-Tactics-and-Combos-Handbook&p=23285432&viewfull=1#post23285432)).

So many benefits that it's hard to overstate them.

Then stack Landlord on that (since one can metamorphosis into a building, so it counts as a stronghold for you to invest in; just add magic item qualities instead of stronghold qualities, since Landlord never states how to add the money into your stronghold).

Now I can be a superhero supervillain shapeshifting guy who's a hero for fun!

I do think Ancestral Relic is the way to go, but it's not quite as easy or straightforward as you're making it out to be. First of all, Ancestral Relic doesn't give you an item. You have to have an item of masterwork quality before you take the feat. Let's handwave that requirement for now and say you have some masterwork item. Now, you need to sacrifice treasure equal to the value of the item you're trying to make. I don't know how much your custom Skin of Proteus would cost, but the base cost for a non-custom version is 84,000 gold. Where are you getting that much value? Also, remember that there's a cap on how much gold you can sink into your Ancestral Relic based on your level. You'd have to be at least level 15 to be able to afford a Skin of Proteus as an Ancestral Relic, likely higher for a custom version.

Still, like I said, I do think Ancestral Relic is the way to go. I'll start a write-up on 1-20 build progression for a Commoner, just to see what it looks like and figure out what sort of hoops such a person would have to jump through.

Berenger
2022-02-19, 07:52 PM
Endurance, Great Fortitude and Run for general health and fitness.

Negotiator for, among other things, job interviews.

Skill Focus for Knowledge: History, as I like it as a hobby, or Profession, to get a higher income with the same amount of work.

Beni-Kujaku
2022-02-19, 08:27 PM
I do think Ancestral Relic is the way to go, but it's not quite Still, like I said, I do think Ancestral Relic is the way to go. I'll start a write-up on 1-20 build progression for a Commoner, just to see what it looks like and figure out what sort of hoops such a person would have to jump through.

I don't think Ancestral Relic counts as having purely mundane effects

Seward
2022-02-20, 03:58 AM
Obtain familiar, but I'm not sure how to get the prerequisites. Same with most things, like that feat that lets you do a 2nd level spell at level 1 with chance of failure. Think it has an arcane caster requisite.

Maybe Draconic Heritage...a dragon in my family tree can't help but be a good thing right? Maybe he or she will visit someday. That kind of fails the "mundane feat" requirement though.

Anything helpful with general heath or aging, something you think about more as you have passed your first half century. Immunity to all disease is really a lot better than any single disease. Most people don't know what will kill them, and many would quickly die of something else if they didn't die of the first illness earlier.

I could do a bit more with pathfinder traits and starting feats. Some of those give straight up superpowers (like the ability to stabilize anybody with a touch. Imagine how great that would be for an EMT or an emergency room nurse or something similar)

Buufreak
2022-02-20, 11:39 AM
Wow we certainly dream big for the average human being on earth being level 2ish.

I do like the idea of iron heart surge off martial study, but doubt anyone would have the level to take it, and would equally argue "does seizing deny me all actions? If so, I don't even have the immediate available to remove epilepsy."

Harrow
2022-02-20, 02:53 PM
I don't think Ancestral Relic counts as having purely mundane effects

Hmmm. That makes a magic item, so fair enough on Ancestral Relic. But, that aside, what are we counting as "completely mundane"? For example, Poison Healer is an extraordinary ability. It works in an anti-magic field or a dead magic zone, but it's beyond the limits of what an actual human can pull off.

If that's our ceiling, only things a real life human could normally do, then I guess the save enhancers would be pretty good. I'd argue Great Fortitude would be the best. How are we dealing with prerequisites? If we just assume you meet them, then Perfect Health is what I would argue for the best "mundane" feat, to the point where it really stretches our "nothing a human isn't normally capable of" requirement.

Martial Study for the save replacers is another one that stretches what a human could normally do, but I think it's close enough to be worth mentioning. Some of the Luck feats fall into this category as well. I'd want Dumb Luck, Make Your Own Luck, Survivor's Luck, Tempting Fate, and Unbelievable Luck.

Really, the most interesting feats are the ones that make us play Mother-May-I to see if they're even allowed. If you don't want to start splitting hairs on what "completely mundane" means, then, yeah Great Fortitude. Probably Cumbrous Fortitude as well.

Wildstag
2022-02-20, 04:54 PM
Wild Cohort. A pet is nice, but a pet that grows stronger as I gain in experience? Even better. Besides, I could always use a competent and capable companion in the desert. Wandering by myself feels dangerous and unsettling at times.

MaxiDuRaritry
2022-02-20, 05:40 PM
I don't think Ancestral Relic counts as having purely mundane effectsNote how I used Loyalty's Reward to bypass that.

Wow we certainly dream big for the average human being on earth being level 2ish....and that.

Heck, I know how to get to epic levels in a week or two from level 1 just defeating elephants (nonlethally). And 95% of that time is due to crafting scrolls. Gotta love Precocious Apprentice (Ray of Stupidity) knocked down to a 0 level spell through the Sanctum Spell and Forceful Magic feats. (Flaws FTW!)

Buufreak
2022-02-20, 08:45 PM
Precocious Apprentice

Ya know, a running gag amongst friends of mine is someone finding yet another card in mtg (being around 34,000 of them now) that combos infinitely with deadeye navigator. PA I feel has become the thing people mention on here that I hold similar contempt for.

All that aside, its a thread about useless mundane feats. Anyone can break PA with minimum effort. I'll be far more impressed when a news article rolls through my feed about random person who, on a whim, flew to Africa, spent months writing "be dumb and fall down" on books worth of parchment, screamed at said parchment, and then the elephants fell down.

MaxiDuRaritry
2022-02-20, 09:11 PM
Ya know, a running gag amongst friends of mine is someone finding yet another card in mtg (being around 34,000 of them now) that combos infinitely with deadeye navigator. PA I feel has become the thing people mention on here that I hold similar contempt for.

All that aside, its a thread about useless mundane feats. Anyone can break PA with minimum effort. I'll be far more impressed when a news article rolls through my feed about random person who, on a whim, flew to Africa, spent months writing "be dumb and fall down" on books worth of parchment, screamed at said parchment, and then the elephants fell down.You forgot the most important, final step: ...and then he ascended to nigh godhood.

Particle_Man
2022-02-20, 10:08 PM
Deflect Arrows would be so cool, although it has a prerequisite (admittedly I could likely get improved unarmed strike with enough martial arts training and so in theory could meet the prerequisite). It wouldn’t come up much unless I did stunt work in movies though.

For general use, Jack of all Trades would be great. I have a slight knowledge of every single profession! I have a chance of knowing things in many fields! I have life hacks! I am going on Jeopardy!:smallsmile:

MaxiDuRaritry
2022-02-20, 10:14 PM
Deflect Arrows would be so cool, although it has a prerequisite (admittedly I could likely get improved unarmed strike with enough martial arts training and so in theory could meet the prerequisite). It wouldn’t come up much unless I did stunt work in movies though.It'd be great if you could deflect bullets, since most people these days use knives or guns, and guns are a lot harder to deal with in general.

Hmm. Polyglot would be nice. Nobody said we had to qualify for the feat.

What feats would allow one to make huge amounts of fame and/or fortune? Maybe you could force rerolls on the lottery, or gain a sixth sense about which numbers to play?

SirNibbles
2022-02-20, 10:28 PM

I think our view of disease is different from the 3.5 definition of disease.

Disease
Adventurers explore dangerous and often filthy environments, where disease thrives or is carried by creatures. Although supernatural diseases exist, disease is usually an extraordinary effect.

DAMAGE FROM DISEASE
When you’re exposed to a disease, you must make an immediate Fortitude saving throw against a DC specified in the disease's description. If the save succeeds, you didn’t catch the disease, and it has no effect. If the save fails, you begin to take damage after an incubation period detailed in the disease’s description. Once per day afterward, you must succeed on a Fortitude saving throw to avoid the disease’s damage. Two successful saving throws in a row indicate that you have fought off the disease. You recover, taking no more damage.

DISEASE TYPES
Diseases are divided into four types, according to the method by which their effect is delivered:
Contact
Ingested
Inhaled
Injury

Rules Compendium, page 46

The rules would lead me to believe that all disease is infectious in D&D, opposed by Fortitude saving throws, and must be transmitted in one of the four ways described above (unless otherwise stated in the disease's individual description).

I would argue that cancer isn't a disease and thus cannot be prevented by disease immunity.

MornShine
2022-02-22, 04:58 AM
Iirc, Pathfinder has rules for inherited, non transmittable diseases.

Brachiation would be pretty cool, but what I'd really want is Up the Walls, which is technically psionic.

RexDart
2022-02-22, 09:29 AM
Looking just at feats my current characters happen to have, Great Fortitude and Endurance would be nice. Knowledge Devotion would be great if it could be used for "attacks" on things related to modern knowledge skills like Knowledge (Computer Systems) or Knowledge (Bureaucracy).

Peelee
2022-02-22, 01:38 PM
Assuming other mundane rules work as RAW, I'd pick Open Minded. Because now I can comment on everyone else's selections in six languages. :smallamused:

bekeleven
2022-02-23, 06:46 PM
Slow Maturation seems good. Age 50% slower and lengthen your lifespan.

Loyalty's Reward (Kingdoms of Kalamar)
I appreciate you answering "I will take the feat that lets me make up my own feat, with examples provided in the book like +2 to saves against cold, and use it to become omnipotent."

Landlord. I mean can you imagine owning real estate?!This hypothetical is a merging of fantasy and reality, so try to be at least a little realistic.

MaxiDuRaritry
2022-02-23, 06:51 PM
I appreciate you answering "I will take the feat that lets me make up my own feat, with examples provided in the book like +2 to saves against cold, and use it to become omnipotent."Given that there examples of feats in the PHB of +1 to attack rolls with a single type of weapon or +1 to AC vs a single opponent, clearly examples of feats are hardly representative of feat possibilities. Otherwise, many feats outside of Core (and several in Core -- like, say, Leadership) would not exist.

Xei_Win_Toh
2022-02-23, 07:31 PM
Skill Focus: Perform (Roleplaying) seems like an obvious one.
Or take it in Perform (Act) and move to Hollywood. Or Perform (Sing) or an appropriate instrument and become a rockstar.