PDA

View Full Version : DM Help The Jester's Cowl

Skrum
2022-02-19, 04:01 PM
I am making a custom magic item to give to the players in an upcoming game, and I'd just like to get some other eyes on it before it sees play. The game isn't going to go higher than 8th, for context on power.

Jester’s Cowl
This carnival mask is brightly colored and adorned with bells. Donning or doffing the mask requires an action, and as long as the wearer is alive it may only be removed by them. All of the mask’s abilities only function while the mask is worn.
Bells: the character has disadvantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks
Mirth: the character may use the Vicious Mockery cantrip at will. The DC for the spell is 14

The Jester’s Cowl has 3 charges. They may be spent to use the abilities below
Hide and Seek: As an action, the wearer may teleport up to 30 ft. They may bring up to 2 allies in adjacent squares with them. Each character that is teleported in this way is invisible and vulnerable to all damage types until the beginning of their next turn. 1 charge.

Duck Duck Goose: As a reaction to someone within 30 ft taking damage, the wearer may use this ability to reduce the damage by 5d6. Roll a 1d6. On a 6, the attacker (if there is one) takes psychic damage equal to the damage prevented. On a 2, a random target within 30 ft takes psychic damage equal to the damage prevented. On a 1, the wearer takes three times as much psychic damage as was prevented. 1 charge.

Cat’s Cradle: the wearer may cast Hold Person as the spell. If the target breaks the spell by making a saving throw against it, the wearer of the mask is immediately affected by Hold Person, but instead of making saving throws at the end of each of their turns, the effect lasts as many rounds as it affected the target. 1 charge.

Kane0
2022-02-19, 05:06 PM
Seems alright, strong and useful but not overwhelmingly so. Duck duck goose might bea little too much damage and tracking the hold person duration might be a pain though.

Skrum
2022-02-19, 05:10 PM
Seems alright, strong and useful but not overwhelmingly so. Duck duck goose might bea little too much damage and tracking the hold person duration might be a pain though.

Yah I was thinking that about the duration. Might just do 1d3 rounds.

As far as damage goes - are you saying the drawback might be too high, or that it prevent too much damage? Or both?

Kane0
2022-02-19, 06:18 PM
As far as damage goes - are you saying the drawback might be too high, or that it prevent too much damage? Or both?

Yeah 3d6 or 4d6 reduction would probably be better if your entire campaign is tier 1 to tier 2, especially if it gets reversed and you end up taking 9d6 or 12d6 damage.

PhantomSoul
2022-02-19, 06:22 PM
Yeah 3d6 or 4d6 reduction would probably be better if your entire campaign is tier 1 to tier 2, especially if it gets reversed and you end up taking 9d6 or 12d6 damage.

Maybe using a number of dice equal to your proficiency bonus or an ability score modifier (with minimum 1 if the item wouldn't have a minimum otherwise), to build in some scaling if desired?

JLandan
2022-02-19, 06:40 PM
Yah I was thinking that about the duration. Might just do 1d3 rounds.

My suggestion...

DDG: prevents 3d6. If any of those is a 6, 1d6 psychic damage to attacker per 6. If any of those is a 1, 1d6 psychic damage to wearer per 1.

CC: Hold Person 1d4 rnds. If target saves, wearer is held for same number of rnds. If it runs duration, no effect on wearer.