PDA

View Full Version : Forge Cleric Level 12 ASI

burnsbabe
2022-02-19, 10:13 PM
Hey folks! I've got a Dwarf Forge Cleric who just dinged level 12 and as a result, gets an ASI. Trouble is, I'm unsure where to spend it, and I'm looking for advice. She's set up as follows:

STR: 21 w/ Belt of Giant's Strength
DEX: 14
CON: 18
INT: 12
WIS: 20
CHA: 8

HP: 111

Stats are generally good because my DM wanted to run an "RNG" inspired campaign (it's built into the worldbuilding) and I rolled well on initial stats. HP has been a bit rough for most of the campaign given that I'm our secondary tank, but I rolled well on level up. I bumped WIS to 20 at Level 4, then took Resilient (CON) at Level 8 to help with the HP some and increase the likelihood of holding concentration. Generally, she gets in the middle of the fight, pops something like Spirit Guardians or Dawn, and then starts hitting people, while holding the spell up.

I'm generally considering:
- Bump Con to 20. This is the safe, "boring" play. It brings my Con Save to +9, gives me even more HP, and generally is good all around.
- Pick up War Caster to get advantage on all the concentration saves plus its other advantages.
- Or something a bit less optimized. Given her story, it might make sense to have Inspiring Leader, which I'm checking with my GM about waiving the prereq for. Martial Adept seems fun, and Sentinel is always busted.

Anybody have thoughts or opinions? Other ideas that I've not suggested here? Her patron/deity is a crafting and hospitality focused Archfey, so there's maybe good stuff there too.

Greywander
2022-02-19, 11:10 PM
I might try to grab Booming Blade if you don't already have it. Not only is it a great cantrip on any weapon user who doesn't get Extra Attack, but I find it oddly thematic for a Forge cleric specifically. I like to fluff it as the target hearing a metallic ringing sound that becomes louder to the point of pain if they try to move. This will also help make you stickier, making enemies think twice before they run away. Great for keeping enemies in the AoE of things like Spirit Guardians. And if they do move, well, you get some extra damage on them.

To get Booming Blade, you could take Magic Initiate, of course, but you can also get it from Aberrant Dragonmark, Artificer Initiate, or Spell Sniper (not recommended). Aberrant Dragonmark gives you a CON bump, which it looks like you don't need (but maybe if there was another CON bump half feat you were interested in...). Artificer Initiate gives you another tool, but I don't think it's worth it.

Magic Initiate has plenty of other interesting spells you could pick up alongside Booming Blade. For example, Control Flames and Fog Cloud (refluffed as a smoke cloud). Shield is always a great 1st level pick, if you can't think of anything else. Silvery Barbs is the new darling 1st level spell, so consider that as an option as well. And of course there's Find Familiar, if you wanted an animal companion.

ImproperJustice
2022-02-19, 11:16 PM
Given how tough your Forge Cleric is, grabbing Sentinel could help you lock down an opponent in your Spirit Guardians aura.

Metamagic adept could grant you a neat trick or two.
Subtle Spell can let you cast when you normally can’t, avoid counterspells, and land a crucial spell when needed.

Quickened and Distant can help too.

J-H
2022-02-19, 11:33 PM
Sentinel may be good.

Heavy Armor Master gives you DR 3/magic. Most natural weapons don't count as magic, so this is good against most enemy types. If you are taking a few big (30+ damage) hits a day, it's not as good. If you're taking a bunch of little hits (5-20 damage) a day, then it's better.

Fighting Initiate could get you 10' blindsight or +1 AC (protection), or a damage-reducing reaction (Interception) if you don't use your reaction much but do stand next to an ally often.

If you're not using your Bonus Action for Spiritual Weapon, Shield Master gives you a shove to go with that high Strength bonus.

Mobile would let you get amongst enemies more quickly (+10' move speed), as well as giving you a "hit and disengage" option (not as relevant). The party paladin spent a lot of time running to catch up with the monk and barbarian in some fights. Now he uses DDoor and Misty Step. If your campaign has a bunch of small rooms and short tunnels (short encounter distances) this may not be as relevant.

Tough gives you 24 hit points here and now, and is the equivalent of +4 to your CON score for HP. It just doesn't help your saves.

smugli
2022-02-19, 11:53 PM
Warcaster is probably the most optimal choice, stacking concentration protection is a doubly good idea if you're front lining. If you get to 16 tough would be a good pick too. Alert is always good.

burnsbabe
2022-02-20, 12:05 AM
Warcaster is probably the most optimal choice, stacking concentration protection is a doubly good idea if you're front lining. If you get to 16 tough would be a good pick too. Alert is always good.

Yeah. I felt like this was correct purely from an optimization standpoint. A lot of the other suggestions are interesting, but thematically/RP-wise kinda weird. There's just a lot of options and I feel swamped, ya know?

RogueJK
2022-02-20, 10:31 AM
I might try to grab Booming Blade if you don't already have it.

That's definitely worth considering, since it sounds like the OP's making more melee attacks than the average Cleric. Adds another +2d8 damage to all your melee hits, and the rider damage further discourages enemies from moving out of your Spirit Guardians radius.

Something like Magic Initiate Wizard with Absorb Elements (always useful even just 1/day) or Silvery Barbs (the new OP hotness), Booming Blade, and then a utility cantrip like Mold Earth, Control Flames, or Mage Hand.

However, from an optimization standpoint, I still think Warcaster, Sentinel, or Lucky would be a better bet.