PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Archivist (Artificer Specialization) [PEACH]

Townopolis
2022-02-20, 02:48 PM
The UA Archivist was (rightfully) converted into the Order of Scribes for Wizard, but I wanted to revisit the idea, mostly because I came up with a character concept and don't think any of the published artificer specializations are quite right. So I made my own. It isn't perfectly fitted to that character concept, but I think that would be bad design anyway. This archivist is intended to be a support artificer focusing on ability checks with a side of information manipulation, but not straying too far from the artificer's core concept as a magic item user and creator.

On the topic of ability checks, one of my goals with this specialization is to have a clear emphasis on using and enabling ability checks, but I don't want this version of artificer to end up a better skillmonkey than the rogue (so also not as good as bard). Anyway:

Archivist
It is not enough to push the boundaries of arcane science; discoveries must be recorded and disseminated to be built upon again. An archivist specializes in the preservation of knowledge for the good of the art. When not at work in libraries or tinkering with their codices, archivists reveal the power of knowledge by replicating the best inventions and exploiting the flaws of the rest.

Tool Proficiency
3rd-level Archivist Feature
You gain proficiency with calligrapher’s supplies. If you already have this proficiency, you gain proficiency with one other type of artisan’s tools of your choice.

Archivist Spells
You always have certain spells prepared after you reach particular levels in this class, as shown on the Archivist Spells table. These spells count as artificer spells for you, and they don’t count against the number of artificer spells you prepare.

3rd Level: Comprehend Languages, Illusory Script
5th Level: Locate Object, Nystul’s Magic Aura
9th Level: Major Image, Nondetection
13th Level: Confusion, Locate Creature
17th Level: Legend Lore, Rary's Telepathic Bond

Font of Guidance
You know the Guidance cantrip, and it does not count against your cantrips known. Additionally, your Guidance cantrip is improved in the following ways:

The range increases to 30’.
You can ignore the somatic and material components.
You can cast it as a reaction taken when a creature within 30’ of you that you can see makes an ability check.
When cast as a reaction, you can ignore the concentration requirement. If you do, this casting of Guidance lasts until the end of the current turn.

Field Codex
During a long rest, you can craft a magical codex, which takes the form of a book, scroll, crystal, or other tiny object of your choosing. As part of its creation, or during a short or long rest, one creature that touches the codex can imbue it with one skill or tool proficiency they have. The codex can store a single proficiency, and attempting to imbue it with another removes the previous proficiency from it. A creature holding your codex gains the stored proficiency while the codex is on their person.

You may have only one codex made at a time; if you craft another codex, any previous codices you have made with this feature lose their magic and all imbued proficiencies and become inert.

Reveal Vulnerability
5th-level Archivist Feature
As a bonus action, you can select one object or creature that you can see within 30’ of you and reveal a small weakness in their defenses. The next time the target takes damage, they take 1d6 additional damage. This bonus damage is lost if it is not applied before the start of your next turn.

Control Item
9th-level Archivist Feature
Your knowledge of magical artifacts and constructs is now sufficiently deep that you automatically identify any magic item you see, including knowledge of an item’s functions, how it is used, and any command words it may respond to.

Furthermore, you can use your action to manipulate a magic item or construct within 30' that you can see. When used on an item, this allows you to operate it as part of the same action as if you were attuned to and holding it; alternatively, you can suppress all of the item’s effects until the start of your next turn. When used on a construct, your target must make a charisma saving throw against your spell save DC; on a failure, they are incapacitated until the start of your next turn, and you control their movement on their next turn. You can use this action a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and you recover all spent uses when you complete a long rest.

Voluminous Codex
15th-level Archivist Feature
Your codex is improved. It can now store up to two proficiencies, and a creature holding it gains both proficiencies while the codex remains on their person. Attempting to imbue it with a third proficiency removes the oldest proficiency from the codex.

Additionally, when a creature holding your codex makes an ability check or saving throw, after rolling but before learning if they succeed or fail, they can choose to add your intelligence modifier to the roll instead of whatever ability modifiers would normally apply. Once a creature has substituted your intelligence modifier this way, they cannot do so again until they complete a long rest.