PDA

View Full Version : New Books

martyboy74
2007-11-22, 06:25 PM
Alright, I'm going to be getting some new books. I currently have: PHB, DMG, MM, MM3, PHB2, ToB, XPH, MIC, SpC, LoM, MotP, Planar Handbook, Miniatures Handbook, UA, CArc, CPsi (:smallfrown:), and decent access to CAdv, CWar, CDiv and Stormwrack. Do you guys have any advice on what to get?

kemmotar
2007-11-22, 06:29 PM
complete mage, complete arcane. Maybe some races book, races of destiny is quite good...maybe MM 4 and MM5...some nice monsters there. 2 vampire lords with names...no more nameless monsters :smalltongue: The wild hunt is also interesting for a high level challenge...draconomicon, dragon magic, races of the dragon are also nice to buff up sorcerers. Also some new interesting races spellscale is an ideal race for sorcerer( i think it's actually the only non LA race that gives +2 charisma, also some cool abilties). Libris mortis is also good if you like undead and necros.

thorgrim29
2007-11-22, 06:32 PM
On the pther hand, you could save up for 4th edition....

Just my 2c

martyboy74
2007-11-22, 06:33 PM
I would save up for fourth edition, but they're gifts. Things just sort of happen. :smallsigh:

Azerian Kelimon
2007-11-22, 06:46 PM
I'd recommend Tome Of Magic (ToM) if only because of binders, though the other two nobodies work too. While said two classes which I don't remember are pathetic, the binder is an incredible and innovative class which is quite fun to play. I'd suggest you check it, but if you like it, go for it without second thoughts.

AslanCross
2007-11-22, 06:59 PM
MM5 is good.

Temp
2007-11-22, 07:07 PM
Magic of Incarnum could be intersting. It's nice for a different approach to skillmonkey-types.

I'm rather fond of Complete Mage, but it doesn't really introduce anything new to the game.

I'd like to say Tome of Magic, but the Binder was the only aspect of that book I found interesting. If the Shadowcaster or Truenamer had some redeeming qualities, I'd consider it.

Twingunn
2007-11-22, 07:22 PM
If you're looking to try new and exciting things which it looks like from your library, I'd suggest Libras Mortis. There's a few interesting things in there. Other than that I hear that 4th edition is set in the Forgotten Realms. A couple realms background books couldn't hurt.

nerulean
2007-11-22, 07:50 PM
I will add another vote for Complete Mage. I love it. The Rules Compendium has also seen an unexpectedly large amount of use around our gaming table and might be a nice way to round out your 3.5 collection.

Azerian Kelimon
2007-11-22, 07:53 PM
Seeing as you have it missing, you might want two others: Cscoundrel, and Dungeonscape. Dungeonscape is worth it mostly for the rogue ACF and the Factotum, and scoundrel has quite a few nifty things, like surprise weapons or skill tricks.

Or, if you DM a lot, go for broke and get Unearthed Arcana.

puppyavenger
2007-11-22, 08:06 PM
Dracanomicon, lords of madness, dragon majic, races of the dragon.

nerulean
2007-11-22, 08:40 PM
Dracanomicon, lords of madness, dragon majic, races of the dragon.

Hehe, like dragons much?

Draconomicon is fun, though. Had a lot of laughs with that book.

BardicDuelist
2007-11-22, 11:41 PM
Seeing as you have it missing, you might want two others: Cscoundrel, and Dungeonscape. Dungeonscape is worth it mostly for the rogue ACF and the Factotum, and scoundrel has quite a few nifty things, like surprise weapons or skill tricks.

Or, if you DM a lot, go for broke and get Unearthed Arcana.

I agree with the former, but disagree with the latter. UA can be found on any "SRD" site for free, and so I wouldn't waste buying a book on it (even though it is really cool).

CScoundrel, CMage, and Dungeonscape are all good. Of the two, Scoundrel and Dungeon get the most use from me (except for Lyric Thaumaturge).

herrhauptmann
2007-11-23, 02:32 AM
I'd recommend Sword &Sorcery's books Arcana Unearthed and Relics and Rituals.

If you're into casters both books are gold mines. Especially Relics/Rituals. 3 versions of ritual magic, most of which can be undertaken by any caster, and even aided (to a limited extent) by noncasters.
A 20th level wizard leads the ritual (starting caster level 20...)
Then using the aid another action, and using any bonuses to the skill ritual magic (synergies for concentration) are 3 10th level wizards aid (same class as leader gives 1/3 bonus for +10), as well as 2 10th level sorcerors (same magic type as leader gives 1/4 bonus for +5), a 15th level cleric and a 15th druid (different magic type, 1/5 bonus for +6), and group of warriors, rogues, barbarians and commoners with total HD of 50 (nonmagic users give 1/10 bonus for +5).
Sounds great, but some of the disadvantages to rituals,
1)they last hours nonstop
2)no distractions are allowed
3)easy to interrupt

TheOOB
2007-11-23, 02:39 AM
You have a pretty good D&D collection allready, you might want to consider branching out and trying another system. D&D is great, but really how many new classes, feats, and spells do you need, especially if you can find a way to borrow a book from a friend or a library (yes some public librarys carry D&D books), to get from it what you need.

For the same price that you would pay for say, yet another complete book, you can get the base book for an entirely new system that will allow you to play entirely new games. It would be a nice change of pace that would make D&D all the better when you go back to it. Any system, no matter how good, can get old after awhile.

I would suggest looking at shadowrun, world of darkness, and 7th Sea. If you want to stick to d20, true20 and star wars saga edition are both good.

SoD
2007-11-23, 03:50 AM
A friend has, in the past, recomended against MMIV, something about it being too many templates and not enough monsters. I think, I can't remember the exact reason. On the other hand, he spoke very strongly for Complete Scoundrel to our player who loves rogues and sneaky characters, but isn't hugely fond of the others. Some of the feats are perfect for her, apparantly. Anyway, there's the rules compendium, and, if you don't have it, maybe MMV?