PDA

View Full Version : Glitterbright of Garl Glittergold

Rensalorath
2022-02-20, 04:37 PM
My friends and I play 3.5 exclusively since its release, and one of the things I really enjoyed was when various 2ed specialty priests were converted to 3.x Prestige Classes.

Recently I was remembering a character I played back in the 2ed days that was a Glitterbright, or specialty priest of Garl Glittergold.

After much web and forum searching, all I have found related to Garl in 3.x is the Chimeric Champion in Dragon Magazine issue 328 and Divine Prankster in Races of Stone.

Has anybody ever seen or made a 3.x prestige class based on the 2ed Glitterbright?

Silly Name
2022-02-20, 05:15 PM
I'm not really familiar with the Glitterbright specialty priest, or AD&D 2nd edition rules in general, so my first question would be: What were the features that distinguished those priests from other priest? Chances are you may be able to replicate the class with existing material, if you know what you're looking for.

Rensalorath
2022-02-21, 06:52 PM
The 2 main points that differ from cleric are

1) limited thief skill
2) ability to prepare arcane illusion spells in cleric slots, no more than 3/4 of available spells per level can be arcane illusions

As for the first point, this can be accomplished with the appropriate class skills and 4 or 6 skill points +Intelligence modifier each level.

As for the second point, I am not sure the best way to balance it with other classes.

Jervis
2022-02-21, 07:32 PM
The 2 main points that differ from cleric are

1) limited thief skill
2) ability to prepare arcane illusion spells in cleric slots, no more than 3/4 of available spells per level can be arcane illusions

As for the first point, this can be accomplished with the appropriate class skills and 4 or 6 skill points +Intelligence modifier each level.

As for the second point, I am not sure the best way to balance it with other classes.

Probably just give some bonus domains. Trickery + Illusion + maybe something like Shadow? Maybe it just has a class feature that lets you prepare buguiler spells in domain slots. A power bump yeah but that’s one spell per level and realistically i’m not sure it’s a massive bump over what some domains give you.

I’m not at my PC to properly format it now but as a quicky.

3/4 BAB
8/10 casting (loose level at 1 and 4)
4 + Int skills with some thief appropriate class skills

Level 1 gives a bonus domain from the list Gnome, Ttickery, Commerce, and Illusion domains.

Level 2 is something weird like turn Kobold that lets you burn turn undead uses to anger near by kobolds

Level 4 gives the ability to prepare bugiuler spells on domain slots (alternatively you just get a expanded list of illusion spells at this level added to your cleric list)

Level 6 spell focus illusion

Not sure where to take it after that

Rensalorath
2022-02-21, 08:46 PM
Probably just give some bonus domains. Trickery + Illusion + maybe something like Shadow? Maybe it just has a class feature that lets you prepare buguiler spells in domain slots. A power bump yeah but that’s one spell per level and realistically i’m not sure it’s a massive bump over what some domains give you.

I’m not at my PC to properly format it now but as a quicky.

3/4 BAB
8/10 casting (loose level at 1 and 4)
4 + Int skills with some thief appropriate class skills

Level 1 gives a bonus domain from the list Gnome, Ttickery, Commerce, and Illusion domains.

Level 2 is something weird like turn Kobold that lets you burn turn undead uses to anger near by kobolds

Level 4 gives the ability to prepare bugiuler spells on domain slots (alternatively you just get a expanded list of illusion spells at this level added to your cleric list)

Level 6 spell focus illusion

Not sure where to take it after that

Thank you. Those are good ideas. I thought free reign to use all illusions might be too much.

I appreciate your suggestions.

Arkain
2022-02-21, 09:22 PM
What if you took Unseen Seer, made it divine and refluffed it a little for Garl Glittergold and illusions? So you can choose a couple illusion off any list, get better at casting illusions, some skills, good skill list, too. The works. It should be pretty simple, really. The trickery domain would take care of the requirements (in this case, needing the ability to cast a couple illusions), too. Maybe find a way to add the illusion domain in addition and you should be good. A problem may be that the class kind of expects multiclassing with Rogue, what with the skills and the sneak attack progression (sneak attack isn't required, though). But it may be an interesting base to build upon at any rate.

MultitudeMan
2022-02-22, 01:26 AM
This seems like a perfect time to bring up the Giant's homebrew Prestige Class, the Divine Trickster (now found here (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?172910-Articles-Previously-Appearing-on-GiantITP-com), about a third of the way down the thread). It gets some Rogue advancement, full casting, and the Domain Flexibility used with the Trickery Domain gets you spontaneous Illusion spells.

Rensalorath
2022-02-24, 05:34 PM
Thank you folks for the suggestions.

The Divine Trickster might well be a good for a match for what I was looking for.

catagent101
2022-02-24, 07:03 PM
If you use the Divine Trickster, know that you can find it's class table here (https://web.archive.org/web/20090303112751/http://www.giantitp.com/articles/5M5QGsJ5mpbLfAHduZG.html) (at least on my end that image isn't working).

Rensalorath
2022-02-24, 08:25 PM
If you use the Divine Trickster, know that you can find it's class table here (https://web.archive.org/web/20090303112751/http://www.giantitp.com/articles/5M5QGsJ5mpbLfAHduZG.html) (at least on my end that image isn't working).

Thank you!

I had assumed the table would look like that since it was based on Arcane Trickster. It is nice to have confirmation though.