PDA

View Full Version : Formulae as Coatings (Spheres of Power)

SangoProduction
2022-02-21, 10:17 AM
There was this talent introduced called Chemical Coating. I rated it very poorly, if memory serves. I mean, it is pretty much objectively worse than just like... using almost any of the fomulae on their own.
But I want to approach it from a perspective of "I just want to do it, so what's the best way to take advantage of it?"

Important Details:
1) It takes a move action to coat a weapon, or 10 thrown weapons/ammo. Or swift action by spending a martial focus.
2) Only lasts for up to (Prac Mod) + 1/4 lvl.
3) Hits do not remove effect, unlike a poison.
4) Damage is heavily limited, if it does damage, and is never multiplied on crit.

Right off the bat, primarily damage-based talents are very much not great. Unless you're trying to use Barrage to throw a multitude at once. Without splash. And even then, simply due to the difference in damage scaling, that only remains true (except as a "cantrip") up until a couple levels in.

It should go without saying that getting to heal multiple times off of the same effect. And the healing isn't moderated in anyway by the effect. So I was quite certain it required splash damage to be done... but no. Just any formulae.
Elixir: Stab someone to heal ability damage.
Panacea: Remove negative conditions. Potentially one each stab, depending on interpretation of the text.
Salve: Now you actually only need to prepare one of these per adventure.

Not super great. It's very efficient if you have one specific target. But losing splash... Again. Not the point. We're coating the dang weapons.
Flash Powder: Incredible. 1 round blind on hit, at baseline. If you're hunting one specific target, there's probably nothing better, straight up. (At least without outright disabling/killing it.)
Improved Itching Powder: Not great. I mean, sure, you can reapply it, but all that really means is that they won't wipe it off. But it is an unnamed sickened-like, which you can force multiple saves against with just one use of the formulae.
Sneeze Powder: Each hit inflicts staggered for potentially longer than the coating lasts. But multiple chances, and just hitting once does it for the debuff.
Tranglefoot Bag: Arguable. But if allowed, applies entangle and potentially stuck. Not incredibly useful. Certainly not more so than normal throwing.
Thunderstone: For when you absolutely hate someone's ears. Or they are a wizard, Harry.

Liquid Ice: Direct hits stagger, and do damage. Each of your hits are direct. Unless... can you coat siege weapons? No. Stop! No.

Alchemist Fire: Unironically, probably the best low level damage option, due to multiple chances to set them on fire. Which is still just 1d6 damage per round, once they are. But still.

Acid Flask: Takes half their damage a again, next round. A 50% damage bump. (Or in other words, +1.75 (+ 1/2 lvl) to average damage per hit. After a round... Woo. May eventually be better than +3.5/round. After 4 levels you say? Wow. Not bad. I guess.)

OTHER:
Liquid Nice: Multiple chances to charm someone. By hitting them. Nicely.
Universal Alcohol: Painkilling Perry makes the beating go down smooth.

QuadraticGish
2022-02-21, 11:40 AM
I feel like there's some fun to to be had with this and shuriken, but I haven't figured it out yet.

Sneak Dog
2022-02-21, 11:58 AM
They'll last for, say 5 rounds. Apply one at the start of combat, it'll last the entire combat. You now deal 1d6 + half level bonus damage on every attack for one talent and one move action. (Drawback into it.) You also apply a rider effect. Now get a nice Spheres of Might combo to attack 3~8 times in a round and enjoy.

This talent is kinda goofy in my opinion. Too good for little investment. Plenty of balanced stuff in Spheres of Might, but this one is I think an outlier.

QuadraticGish
2022-02-21, 12:07 PM
First thing I've figured out is that Chemical Coating works with Cone of Death, and by extension Death Blossom. So at 5th level you can say, get an okay scaling AoE as long as your have something like Crushing thrower to shore up damage. On the other hand, there are funny things that can be done. At late levels, you can put elixir of life onto your thrown weapon of choice and Death blossom a 1000+ft radius and restore a bunch of people to young adult suddenly. You can also do massive status removal with Ambroisa as well. With Elixir of Life, you could run into where a normal army just died, Death Blossom that and all of a sudden a (barely alive) army exists again. Though, none of this is really practical for the threats you might face except maybe from the bringing an entire army back from the dead bit since that could come on line entire as soon at 5th or 6th depending on how you're getting talents and how high your alchemy bonus is.

Serafina
2022-02-21, 06:45 PM
If Cone of Death is allowed, then that's effectively a 3-talent (Chemical Coating, Barrage Sphere, Cone of Death) surcharge to change your attacks from a splash weapon to a close-range cone. For an additional talent (Death Blossom), you can change it into a burst too - which of course has the drawback of potentially hitting your allies, but you can always pick whichever is more advantageous.

At 12th level, Liquid Ice would dead 5D6 + Modifier damage (assuming Throw Anything), so ~24.5 - but only to one directly-hit target.
A gunslinger-build (to also hit touch AC) would deal 1D12 + 1 + 2D6 + 1D6+6 + modifier damage, so ~31 - which is not only more damage, but can also be applied to multiple targets, while staggering them all.
Heck, even without applying an ability modifier to the guns damage, the gun user has comparable damage to the direct thrower - while hitting a more favorable area and applying the larger damage to more targets.

So yeah, I'd say that Coatings are damn well worth it, assuming a build can fit the necessary talents.

Also this offers incredibly flavor for a gunslinger who has multiple pistols, and coats them in different effects - e.g. one with Liquid Ice, the other with Flash Powder.
(Or the same with a backup Musket, or whichever)

SangoProduction
2022-02-21, 08:17 PM
Fair enough.

Kitsuneymg
2022-02-22, 10:45 PM
It’s stacks with energy weapon. It’s completely stupid.

I played an inquisitor with this talent and energy weapon with dual enhancement. Getting 3d6 + 1.25 level extra damage on each arrow is pretty dumb. Especially with the feat to effectively get full bab in barrage. If you get a formula that does multiple damage types, you can move, swift (expend first focus,) then barrage and split shot. If you need help hitting, totem of allegiance can be done in place of one of the coating. Duration isn’t an issue. It’ll last the whole fight. Especially if you’re adding 2d6+level from enhance.