PDA

View Full Version : Counts as (weapons)

Empyreal Dragon
2022-02-22, 07:30 PM
Trying to make a build work. The goal is to make weapons count as projectile, Thrown, and Melee. So far I've got exotic weapons master to make Melee count as Thrown, and bloodstorm blade to apply Thrown with Melee effects. But I'm missing the vital point of being able to treat projectiles as Thrown or Melee weapons.

Any help would be appreciated.

For 3.5 primarily, but Dragonlance setting material, ravenloft setting material, dragon and dungeon magazine. All on the table.

Saintheart
2022-02-22, 07:57 PM
Per the SRD on arrows: "An arrow used as a melee weapon is treated as a light improvised weapon (-4 penalty on attack rolls) and deals damage as a dagger of its size (critical multiplier ×2)". Don't know if that helps...

Gruftzwerg
2022-02-22, 08:08 PM
Trying to make a build work. The goal is to make weapons count as projectile, Thrown, and Melee.

I've been there..^^ And didn't got any results.

Since you are talking about Bloodstorm Blade (BSB) too, I assume you have something similar like I had in mind.
My solution was to go for Shuriken. For a BSB it makes no difference if he is using a melee weapon for his Thunderious Throw or a thrown weapon. You can still apply melee bonuses on your shuriken.
Have a look at my ShurikeNado (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?526875)build (a ranged Ubercharger). Maybe it solves your issues.

Empyreal Dragon
2022-02-22, 08:24 PM
While a cool build, doesn't quite get what I'm looking for. I was able to apply Melee and Thrown enhancements to the Attacks, but was missing a way to apply projectile based improvements to the same.

Your builds are quite entertaining to me. I'm working on a madara Uchiha build, but the build THIS thread was for, was in dire need of a way to link the three attack types. Would have cut down on almost 20 levels and 19ish feats.

Gruftzwerg
2022-02-22, 08:47 PM
While a cool build, doesn't quite get what I'm looking for. I was able to apply Melee and Thrown enhancements to the Attacks, but was missing a way to apply projectile based improvements to the same.

As said, I was in the same situation but decided to ditch melee in favor of projectiles. But I can fully understand that you want something that qualifies as all 3 for magic weapon enhancements. Good luck with both builds ;)

PraxisVetli
2022-02-28, 12:35 AM
Pathfinder's Atlatl seems like it might be thrown and projectile?
Add a Bayonet to it for melee and be ready to justify how that works cuz I have no idea, but, hey, dragons exist, amirite?

Seward
2022-02-28, 01:50 AM
Per the SRD on arrows: "An arrow used as a melee weapon is treated as a light improvised weapon (-4 penalty on attack rolls) and deals damage as a dagger of its size (critical multiplier ×2)". Don't know if that helps...

The fundamental problem for enchantments is it has to be a masterwork item of XXX type to get the enchantment.

A shield can be a melee weapon but if you didn't pay the 300gp extra to make it a masterwork weapon, it can only be enchanted as a shield, not a weapon (elvencraft bows have a similar issue with the quarterstaff side of things etc). There isn't any way I know to make an arrow a masterwork melee weapon.

In Pathfinder there was a spell that turned improvised weapons into a related masterwork weapon (I used it to turn metamagic rods into melee weapons for a character that mixed blasting and melee), and that might have some promise in this situation, but unlike another Pathfinder spell (Masterwork Transformation, whose targets are nonmasterwork things that CAN be crafted as masterwork) it isn't "instant" and probably wouldn't work for enchanting.

Melee and thrown weapons are different - a masterwork spear is masterwork whether you throw it or stab with it, so it's an easier mix. (An arrow is more like a Javelin, only usable in one mode without being improvised. There are as far as I know zero projectile types designed to also be a melee weapon, but my 3.5 fu is only at a brown belt level, so somebody may know something I don't. A Javelin can be a projectile for an Alatl or that stupid Icechucker crossbow thing, but again, not a melee weapon)

Empyreal Dragon
2022-02-28, 04:08 AM
The fundamental problem for enchantments is it has to be a masterwork item of XXX type to get the enchantment.

A shield can be a melee weapon but if you didn't pay the 300gp extra to make it a masterwork weapon, it can only be enchanted as a shield, not a weapon (elvencraft bows have a similar issue with the quarterstaff side of things etc). There isn't any way I know to make an arrow a masterwork melee weapon.

In Pathfinder there was a spell that turned improvised weapons into a related masterwork weapon (I used it to turn metamagic rods into melee weapons for a character that mixed blasting and melee), and that might have some promise in this situation, but unlike another Pathfinder spell (Masterwork Transformation, whose targets are nonmasterwork things that CAN be crafted as masterwork) it isn't "instant" and probably wouldn't work for enchanting.

Melee and thrown weapons are different - a masterwork spear is masterwork whether you throw it or stab with it, so it's an easier mix. (An arrow is more like a Javelin, only usable in one mode without being improvised. There are as far as I know zero projectile types designed to also be a melee weapon, but my 3.5 fu is only at a brown belt level, so somebody may know something I don't. A Javelin can be a projectile for an Alatl or that stupid Icechucker crossbow thing, but again, not a melee weapon)

Enhancements, not enchantments.

Think bloodstorm blade letting you apply Melee feats/features etc to Thrown. But one to apply projectile features and such to it.

Darg
2022-03-03, 10:18 PM
Enhancements, not enchantments.

Think bloodstorm blade letting you apply Melee feats/features etc to Thrown. But one to apply projectile features and such to it.

What we are lacking is background on what kind of projectile features you want. If you are thinking to maybe add splitting to it, splitting doesn't say you have to shoot it from the bow to benefit. Just use an arrow as an improvised weapon and throw it to turn it into a "missile."

It's really too bad that WotC didn't republish the Uchine from the earlier edition into the 3.0 oriental adventures. It's a pretty obscure weapon. If you want to describe it, the fancier ones were a knife, dart, and arrow in one package. I can't say to know how it worked in the earlier editions though.

PraxisVetli
2022-03-14, 02:41 AM
Does this help?

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment/weapons/weapon-modifications/versatile-design/