PDA

View Full Version : PHB Ranger's Favored Enemy: Two or One Humanoids at Level 6 and 14?

Cizak
2022-02-23, 04:27 PM
It's pretty clear that at level 1, you may choose two humanoid races as your Favored Enemy. I find it less clear if you get two pick two more or only one at level 6 and 14.

"Alternatively, you can select two races of humanoids...as favored enemies" vs. "You choose one additional favored enemy...at 6th and 14th level."
Does the "alternatively" clause compared to the other enemy types still hold at the later levels? Or does the fact that the text uses singular "enemy" for the later level whereas at level 1 it's plural "enemies" show that the later levels only get one humanoid?

Whole text for reference:
"Beginning at 1st level, you have significant experience studying, tracking, hunting, and even talking to a certain type o f enemy.
Choose a type of favored enemy: aberrations, beasts, celestials, constructs, dragons, elementals, fey, fiends, giants, monstrosities, oozes, plants, or undead. Alternatively, you can select two races o f humanoid (such as gnolls and orc s) as favored enemies.

You have advantage on W isdom (Survival) checks to track your favored enemies, as w ell as on Intelligence checks to recall information about them.

When you gain this feature, you also learn one language of your choice that is spoken by your favored enemies, if they speak one at all.
You choose one additional favored enemy, as well as an associated language, at 6th and 14th level. As you gain levels, your choices should reflect the types of monsters you have encountered on your adventures."

KorvinStarmast
2022-02-23, 04:36 PM
Two seems fair.

Kane0
2022-02-23, 05:32 PM
Honestly I like to split all humanoids into three categories (do you bleed red, green or blue) and give one of those. You choose any language native to a race of that category.

Edit: but two seems fair.

Dark.Revenant
2022-02-23, 07:51 PM
I'd say two.

Fun fact: you can't have Minotaur as a favored enemy. At least, not completely.

Depending on the stat block or whether it counts as a player character or not, a minotaur can be either a Humanoid, a Monstrosity, an Undead, or a Construct.