PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Strahd Upgrade

Learn34
2022-02-23, 09:14 PM
Context: Running party of 4 through EtCR, optimization level of the table ranges from none(2) to medium(2)

I'm thinking Strahd needs an upgrade, but I'm trying to stay within the CR/ECL budgets within the module. As such, I've got 10HD to work with, and would further like to avoid too much overlap the another NPC (straight up called The Necromancer). Given that I'm running the vaguely-eldritch horror version of EtCR, I was thinking of replacing 5 of the 10HD with Alienist from Complete Arcane or a home-brewed variant of Lifedrinker that advances casting at full rate).

Please give me y'all's thoughts on these ideas, and provide any alternate suggestions you may have.

Eldan
2022-02-24, 06:05 AM
https://www.realmshelps.net/monsters/templates/vampirelord.shtml

THis any help? That was official WotC content on their website.

Venger
2022-02-24, 07:08 AM
Even just replacing the spells Strahd has prepared to be better (and to use fewer save or dies) will make him more dangerous and more exciting for your PCs to fight. A brief consultation of any wizard handbook will be helpful.

Yael
2022-02-25, 12:12 AM
https://www.realmshelps.net/monsters/templates/vampirelord.shtml

THis any help? That was official WotC content on their website.

I actually used this idea, although I'd require a bit more of explaining.

In my game, several characters died to Strahd, he recognized the strength of them and turned them into vampires. Several parties (new characters) fought him, and in the end he gathered enough vampire PCs to have them protect the castle while he performed a ritual to ascend into a Vampire Lord. The template is pretty powerful, and requires a lot of investigation from the players to totally end the vampire.

What I'm saying is, VL is very strong, the abilities it grants make the already buffed Count (if the PCs haven't nerfed him with the fanes) even more of a threat. It makes for a great final battle, so I recommend this as well.