PDA

View Full Version : Index Magic Item: The Omnitrix

petermcleod117
2022-02-24, 01:21 AM
Since I started running a D&D superhero campaign awhile back, I've been brainstorming ways of introducing new heroes that player's could play. Most of the characters have taken classes inspired by the show Generator Rex, with great success. One that I have been playtesting and tweaking with the help of a very patient player is the idea of playing Ben 10 (or rather a knock-off Ben 10 of the player's own making). She started with the idea of playing a Wild Shape Ranger with levels in Master of Many Forms and Nature's Warrior. We have since tweaked the character concept somewhat. now instead of taking levels in Wild Shape Ranger, the necessary Wild Shape ability is provided by an item, based off of a similar item in the Magic of Faerun sourcebook.

Omnitrix: This strange device is appears to be some kind of digital watch. When activated, it grants the wielder the ability to wild shape once per day as a 5th level druid. This ability does not stack with the druid or wild shape ranger class abilities of the same name, though levels in prestige classes that advance wild shape do advance the wild shape provided by the Omnitrix, though they may not advance it past the equivalent of a 20th level druid. Also, it may be used to qualify for the Master of Many Forms and Nature's Warrior prestige classes as if it were a class ability. If the omnitrix is removed, the wielder loses access to both the wild-shape ability it provides directly and all of the class features provided by the Master of Many Forms and Nature's Warrior prestige classes until it is put back on.
The Omnitrix takes up a hand item slot (like a glove or a gauntlet). Further, once put on the item may not be removed by any means short of a wish, miracle, direct divine intervention, or flat out sawing the wielder's hand off (though sawing the wielder's hand off merely prevents him from using it, as the device is still attached to his severed hand and cannot be removed short of the previously stated methods). It is rumored that the creator of the original omnitrix is able to remove any of it's copies with a mere touch.
Caster Level: 15th; Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, creator must be a druid or know the spell Polymorph; Market Price: 40,000 gp; Weight: —.

The purpose of this item, if it is not obvious, is to allow the wearer to "cheat" the prestige class requirements and enter the Master of Many Forms prestige class as a much lower level than otherwise possible, so that the player may get access to some of the cooler class features earlier. It also opens up more variety for different character concepts, such as a rogue or a fighter with shape-changing.

so, what do you guys think? too powerful? I am balancing this against the Generator (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?211379-3-5-The-Generator-a-steam-punk-machine-warrior-Base-Class) and Invoker Druid (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?135219-New-Invoking-Druid-Base-Class) classes that the other players are playing, for reference.

Jervis
2022-02-24, 02:06 AM
Since I started running a D&D superhero campaign awhile back, I've been brainstorming ways of introducing new heroes that player's could play. Most of the characters have taken classes inspired by the show Generator Rex, with great success. One that I have been playtesting and tweaking with the help of a very patient player is the idea of playing Ben 10 (or rather a knock-off Ben 10 of the player's own making). She started with the idea of playing a Wild Shape Ranger with levels in Master of Many Forms and Nature's Warrior. We have since tweaked the character concept somewhat. now instead of taking levels in Wild Shape Ranger, the necessary Wild Shape ability is provided by an item, based off of a similar item in the Magic of Faerun sourcebook.

Omnitrix: This strange device is appears to be some kind of digital watch. When activated, it grants the wielder the ability to wild shape once per day as a 5th level druid. This ability does not stack with the druid or wild shape ranger class abilities of the same name, though levels in prestige classes that advance wild shape do advance the wild shape provided by the Omnitrix, though they may not advance it past the equivalent of a 20th level druid. Also, it may be used to qualify for the Master of Many Forms and Nature's Warrior prestige classes as if it were a class ability. If the omnitrix is removed, the wielder loses access to both the wild-shape ability it provides directly and all of the class features provided by the Master of Many Forms and Nature's Warrior prestige classes until it is put back on.
The Omnitrix takes up a hand item slot (like a glove or a gauntlet). Further, once put on the item may not be removed by any means short of a wish, miracle, direct divine intervention, or flat out sawing the wielder's hand off (though sawing the wielder's hand off merely prevents him from using it, as the device is still attached to his severed hand and cannot be removed short of the previously stated methods). It is rumored that the creator of the original omnitrix is able to remove any of it's copies with a mere touch.
Caster Level: 15th; Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, creator must be a druid or know the spell Polymorph; Market Price: 40,000 gp; Weight: —.

The purpose of this item, if it is not obvious, is to allow the wearer to "cheat" the prestige class requirements and enter the Master of Many Forms prestige class as a much lower level than otherwise possible, so that the player may get access to some of the cooler class features earlier. It also opens up more variety for different character concepts, such as a rogue or a fighter with shape-changing.

so, what do you guys think? too powerful? I am balancing this against the Generator (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?211379-3-5-The-Generator-a-steam-punk-machine-warrior-Base-Class) and Invoker Druid (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?135219-New-Invoking-Druid-Base-Class) classes that the other players are playing, for reference.

Eh i’m not sure about that MoMF + Wildshape is the best approach. And granting a 5th level Wildshape is a bit underwhelming for what the watch can actually do. Most of its forms would be stated as Aberations, Monsterous Humaniods, Elementals, or Outsiders. Out of the box you’ve got animals, which the omnitrix explicitly can’t turn you into, they don’t have the cognitive ability needed to support a sentient consciousness. I mean you can kinda cheat it with 3 levels in a prestige class but that’s kinda weird for a magic item.

I’d actually base the stat line off of the, admittedly broken, Phylactery of Change and let you cast Polymorph a number of times a day. Maybe restrict form access. Actually definitely restrict form access.

StSword
2022-02-24, 02:20 AM
Since you playing a 3x game it'll need some adaptation but the Monster Channeler archetype (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/summoner/archetypes/summoner-archetypes-legendary-games/monster-channeler/) for the Legendary Summoner is Ben 10 the class, so you might find inspiration there.

petermcleod117
2022-02-24, 02:58 AM
Since you playing a 3x game it'll need some adaptation but the Monster Channeler archetype (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/summoner/archetypes/summoner-archetypes-legendary-games/monster-channeler/) for the Legendary Summoner is Ben 10 the class, so you might find inspiration there.

i have never converted a pathfinder class to 3.5. I did find this (https://www.reddit.com/r/Pathfinder_RPG/comments/7jl9id/pathfinder_to_35_conversion_guide/dr7v8r9/?context=3) online though. from what i can see, generally speaking a given pathfinder class is 1 level more powerful than an equivalent 3.5 class. i know there are changes to skills as well that i would need to undo, like "perception". is there anything else i need to know?

Beni-Kujaku
2022-02-24, 03:54 AM
i have never converted a pathfinder class to 3.5. I did find this (https://www.reddit.com/r/Pathfinder_RPG/comments/7jl9id/pathfinder_to_35_conversion_guide/dr7v8r9/?context=3) online though. from what i can see, generally speaking a given pathfinder class is 1 level more powerful than an equivalent 3.5 class. i know there are changes to skills as well that i would need to undo, like "perception". is there anything else i need to know?

That website assumes everything in Pathfinder, which includes slightly stronger races, effectively more skill points (since you get an automatic +3 to all class skills), favored class bonuses which increase slightly the power level of one of your class... The classes in themselves are indeed a bit stronger, but not one full level behind in my opinion, especially since this one is kind of a one-trick-pony. I'd say just go ahead and play with it. This should be high tier 3/low tier 2 in my opinion. If you want to nerf it, you can just remove the clause that makes your damage disappear when your summon disappears. That makes you go from "pretty tanky" to "not able to throw yourself in melee like you would a regular summon".

Apart from that, just look up the spells of the class, since Pathfinder has some spells working differently. Notably, look up Transmogrify, which may be one of the essential spells of the class.

Gruftzwerg
2022-02-24, 03:58 AM
The Omnitrix sounds much like a a regular Wild Shape Amulet:

- either +4 Druid lvls for wild shape or wild shape as 5th lvl druid
- only 40.000g

Doesn't have the limitations that you put on the Omnitrix, but otherwise is almost identical.
Note that this item can also be used with UMD to pretend to be higher level druid. (-20 UMD roll +4 from the amulet = effective wild shape lvl).

Jervis
2022-02-24, 04:01 AM
The Omnitrix sounds much like a a regular Wild Shape Amulet:

- either +4 Druid lvls for wild shape or wild shape as 5th lvl druid
- only 40.000g

Doesn't have the limitations that you put on the Omnitrix, but otherwise is almost identical.
Note that this item can also be used with UMD to pretend to be higher level druid. (-20 UMD roll +4 from the amulet = effective wild shape lvl).

Wait so a UMDmancer could could put on a funny mustache and convince a amulet to let him Wildshape as a level 24 Druid? Can you UMD MoMF class features?

Gruftzwerg
2022-02-24, 04:28 AM
Wait so a UMDmancer could could put on a funny mustache and convince a amulet to let him Wildshape as a level 24 Druid? If you hit a UMD roll of 40 (-20 +4= 24), yeah.

Can you UMD MoMF class features?
Theoretically yes, but there is no magic item that would profit from it. The reason why the Wild Shape Amulet works here is because the item also gives you Wild Shape ability.