PDA

View Full Version : Iron half golem CR right?

krossbow
2007-11-23, 12:36 AM
Hey, anyone think that the half golem template's CR is a little low? I'm having a character who the PC's chopped his left arm off, his right leg, his left eye, and then tossed into the bad part of town come back in the next session (he was the messenger of an assasin's guild that has a bounty on them).

Anyways, he's going to now have +8 stamina (from 2 replaced limbs), +12 natural armor, +12 strength, and a gas attack for free.

The strenght and stamina are pretty strong, but that natural armor just seems to scream a bit more than +3 CR.

OneWinged4ngel
2007-11-23, 02:50 AM
Hey, anyone think that the half golem template's CR is a little low? I'm having a character who the PC's chopped his left arm off, his right leg, his left eye, and then tossed into the bad part of town come back in the next session (he was the messenger of an assasin's guild that has a bounty on them).

Anyways, he's going to now have +8 stamina (from 2 replaced limbs), +12 natural armor, +12 strength, and a gas attack for free.

The strenght and stamina are pretty strong, but that natural armor just seems to scream a bit more than +3 CR.

But... you lose THREE levels. Three! I can get my natural armor from other sources, thank you very much.

Zincorium
2007-11-23, 02:56 AM
Yeah, it's messed up that the half-golems all have the same CR, despite being dramatically different in power. Don't be afraid to add another CR or two if it seems borked, the CR system relies on the DM's common sense to function.

However, I wouldn't add in another +4 constitution, and at least in my copy of the book the natural armor bonus is only +11. However, how good all of this ends up being depends on the overall encounter level. An actual assassin (levels in the prestige class and whatnot) is gonna be nerfed by this template, honestly. With a -6 intelligence, that death attack just plain sucks, spellcasting is nearly nonexistant, and the one thing the half-golems do well (smashing things) the assasin has pretty much given up on. Lastly, remember that the guy has to make his saves (twice!) or he gets constructified.

And one-winged, I'm not sure exactly what you're talking about. This is an NPC. The DM can just flatly give the character +24 natural armor if they feel like it, templates are just an interesting way to change how a monster plays out.

SoD
2007-11-23, 03:40 AM
Whereabouts (bookwise) is the half golem template found? I've got almost every book on PDF, but can't really be bothered going through every single one to find it.

Armads
2007-11-23, 05:35 AM
Monster Manual 2.

SoD
2007-11-23, 05:48 AM
Bugger. One of the few that doesn't work on my PC...ah well.

deadseashoals
2007-11-23, 07:12 AM
It's not that bad, but it is messed up that the half golems all have the same CR adjustment. The others should be lower.

krossbow
2007-11-24, 03:23 AM
Thanks for the advice. i think I will add an extra CR onto the character.

Its not an assasin class character, what I meant is that he's someone belonging to a group hired to kill them. His class is a ritual warrior from arcana evolved (think monk who uses swords and armor), so he'll become wholely stronger.