PDA

View Full Version : DM Help How overtuned was this encounter

KorvinStarmast
2022-02-26, 10:54 AM
The party is 8 7th level PCs (which can be a challenge to run) who had fallen through a gate into the 'void' where lurking in a chamber beyond in dark passages were some Star Spawn.

1 Star Spawn Seer
2 Star Spawn Hulks
2 Star Spawn Manglers
(xp values per CR are 10,000, 11,800, and 3600 independently; with the factoring table in the DMG the adjusted XP for the encounter is 38,300, while a deadly encounter is 7 x 1,700 = 11, 900 adjusted). 3x+ deadly.

Context:
This encounter was the last piece of a long running regional problem that started with "Viallis Yellowcrest had been summoning aberrations from the void and he escaped during the Published adventure's" - the party chased him down, took him and his illithid nemesis out, (and met some manglers in so doing), discovered that his meddling with the far realm/void let terrible monsters leak into the game world. (my brother's world). They had been pursuing leads for a while, trying to find out how to deal with this series of incursions. They finally ended up in Yellowcrest manner (which was now mostly in ruins, and they found the portal in the basement) The local authorities asked the party to end the threat: some demons, elementals and aberrations had erupting from the basement to the detriment of livestock and trade, not to mention half of the town garrison/militia were now dead...and about half of the local population were refugees, fleeing the area, heading south...the party had run into that aspect of the arc a few sessions back)
1 Marid and 2 water elementals, four shadar kai chain masters, some earth elemental myrmidons, and trying to figure out the gate portal

The party:
Bear Barb, Draconic Sorc, Lore Bard, Devotion paladin, Battle Master, Rogue (AT), Monk 1/Cleric 6(water domain, a low powered home brew, but observant feet), and Monk (Drunken Master).
Significant Magical items:
Wand of Entangle (DC 13) (Bard)
Horn of Valhalla (not usable since 7 days have not elapsed since its last use) (Bard)
Dagger of Warning (rogue)
Robe of the Stars (recovered from Lord Viallis (the bad guy from the Yellowcrest Manor Adventure (sorcerer))
Most of the weapons (there is Shatterspike on the Paladin from Sunless citadel) are able to pierce immunities/resistances but the Monk's bow and the Rogues bow could not.

The party had taken some cold and acid damage in coming through the gate, which I adapted from the Hunger of Hadar spell (The seer's staff has the "on off switch" that activates or closes the gate). They were between 3/4 and full health, depending on the PC.

a. A Mangler and a Hulk responded to the noise of the party coming through the void (quite a ways form the chamber where I placed the star spawn) by sneaking forward, stealth/hide to try and (1) assess what was coming and (2) ambush them if possible.

b. Another Mangler/Hulk pair were a bit further back to be employed if the party was assessed as a threat but they are also the seer's body guard.

c. Seer was well back and around a corner with a chance to move but whose ranged attack was it's primary intended weapon. (And it's a pretty nasty one)

As I ran the numbers later, this looked like a very lethal encounter and maybe the party was going to go down.

With the party not knowing what was in front of them this had the chance to get really lethal ~ the bonus damage for Manglers "if I go first" feature is a heck of a damage boost when it goes into blender mode; that nova had dropped a PC (to within a hair of PC death) in a previous battle under an old ruined temple ~ the party had encountered Manglers before. (Not a hulk and not a seer so far).

DMs, would you expect a party wipe in this case? I was worried that the chances of that were substantial since for the most part this group does a terrible job of scouting. (There is a very social beer and pretzels character to our games, and the number of players who can make it on a given night varies) - and some of the players will have a few cocktails ahead of time, or perhaps some herb, sometimes ... the Monk's drunken master lives up to his PC's sobriquet as often as not

The "DM determines surprise" phase had me assess passive perception versus the mangler's stealth/hide check. As the party worked their way down the tunnel (about 15' wide, and high) in this cold, dark cavern, surprise was the logical result ~ the Highest Initiative the star spawn rolled was a 9. (The first Mangler Hulk Pair) Party initiative varied from 23 to 5. Seer had a 3.

How would you expect this to play out?
(With that many players, on line, and a few interruptions plus two players well into their cups, and one player not there so someone else had to run his actions, the battle took well over an hour to resolve).

J-H
2022-02-26, 11:50 AM
It's not 1 encounter, it's 2-3 encounters depending on whether the starspawns can disengage or not. 8 PCs have a substantial action economy advantage, probably dishing out 100-160 damage/round. I'd expect the first two spawn to engage to be dead in 2-3 rounds.

They may have 1-2 PCs go down, but unless they play unwisely, they'll win.

tokek
2022-02-26, 12:32 PM
If the waves arrive at least 2 turns apart its more like 3 encounters than one super-deadly encounter. That makes a huge difference as a party that size will steam-roller each wave in the action economy.

Surprise is off the table. They have a weapon of warning. Monsters and situations that rely on surprise just do not work at all against that, its a situational magic item but an absolute powerhouse in the right situation. Wave 1 is in trouble before it starts. Then my guess is things will snowball from there.

The star spawn seer is potentially nasty but lacking any legendary resistance or actions I think it gets swamped if the previous waves did not fare well. Its only moderately hard to kill if there are other star spawn around for its teleport when attacked ability to work on.

My guess is that each wave was stomped in turn when you ran it. Dice may have gone another way but that would be my expected outcome against such a huge party.

If it all arrives on the same turn then my opinion is different. The party could get over-whelmed in that case.

da newt
2022-02-26, 02:14 PM
This sounds like a great encounter to me - tough but doable, scary but something that a clever party should survive - fair but consequential.

This is also one that the DM can really tune up or down as things play out - if you decide to throw the kitchen sink at them and fight smart and nasty it can be really tough, but with other decisions you can throttle back.

I would expect a couple PCs to go down and things to look grim, but they ought to be able to prevail. 8 PCs have so many things they can do.

Sounds fun. I look fwd to a play by play once it has played out.

Keravath
2022-02-26, 03:49 PM
The encounter is in waves so it isn't the same as fighting all of the creatures at the same time. Having waves lets the party focus fire on the one or two present while all the other waves don't get to apply any of their abilities or damage until they enter the fight.

In addition, you have a party of 8. I'm not sure if the DMG modifications include reductions if your party is large enough. For example the separate XP values might well be too high when each group individually is facing a party with 8 creatures taking actions.

Anyway, because the encounter is designed in waves, it makes it very easy for the DM to scale things up or down depending on how the party is doing. Only the DM knows what each wave originally consisted of ... and if it turns out a bit stronger or weaker depending on how the party is doing, the party will never know.

KorvinStarmast
2022-02-26, 07:37 PM
It's not 1 encounter, it's 2-3 encounters depending on whether the starspawns can disengage or not. 8 PCs have a substantial action economy advantage, probably dishing out 100-160 damage/round. I'd expect the first two spawn to engage to be dead in 2-3 rounds.

They may have 1-2 PCs go down, but unless they play unwisely, they'll win. The seer missed on 3 of his first 4 ranged attacks, which do substantial damage. The Dwarf battle master went to 0 HP in one round, a mangler owned him. Had the monk not stunned the first hulk, and the seer, I am not sure if the party would have prevailed. (Also seer failed every save it rolled except for the second save on slow).
There were two party members at 0 HP after round 1.
The dice saved the party, I think, since if the Seer had hit there would have been three at 0 after round 1.
One of the party was at 0 HP after round 2. but people were getting back up to: healing word is a thing.

Oh, and the party had three encounters before this.

If the waves arrive at least 2 turns
It did not. The seer was launching ranged attacks at the end of round 1. He missed (Rolled a 1 and a 2) with his first two attempts.

If the waves arrive at least 2 turns apart its more like 3 encounters than one super-deadly encounter. That makes a huge difference as a party that size will steam-roller each wave in the action economy.

Surprise is off the table. They have a weapon of warning.
As we discovered, The rogue player mentioned it (I had forgotten that he had the item), and yep, no surprise. That mattered. The Monk's stuns all worked, which is odd given the + to CON all star seers have. Stun was a Huuuuuuge help.

The party was itself in two waves, sort of. Barb, Fighter, Monk, Bard and then strung out behind them was paladin, sorcerer, cleric, rogue.

This sounds like a great encounter to me - tough but doable, scary but something that a clever party should survive - fair but consequential.

This is also one that the DM can really tune up or down as things play out - if you decide to throw the kitchen sink at them and fight smart and nasty it can be really tough, but with other decisions you can throttle back.

I would expect a couple PCs to go down and things to look grim, but they ought to be able to prevail. 8 PCs have so many things they can do.

Sounds fun. I look fwd to a play by play once it has played out. Party had about half of their spells left, due to previous encounters. Paladin used last two slots (2d) on smites in round 2. The action economy really showed up.
In round 3, with all manglers and hulks engaged, the sorc's wall of fire (cast behind the spawn 'front line') did a lot to melt down HP (Seer unaffected) since 3/4 missed their saves.

Yakk
2022-02-28, 04:52 PM
56 total PC levels.

CR 13 (10k), 2 CR 10 (5900x2), 2 CR 5 (1800x2).

Add up their CR. 13+10+10+5+5 = 43

40% of PC level sum is deadly (22.4)
1/3 is hard (18.7)
1/4 is medium (14)
1/5 is easy (11.2)

If this was split into two encounters, or a two-phase encounter, it would be two deadly encounters in a row.

For every strong (for the tier) magic item, add +1 level to the PCs. Add +1 to 2 for high-charop (per PC).

However, the PCs are overall more powerful than the monsters. But an even fight means a 50% chance of a TPK, which is pretty high, and a high chance multiple PCs die forever.

(The advantage of "adding up CR" is that it does a pretty good job of duplicating the "encounter size multiplier", but handles non-uniform monster CRs better.)

But really, you have to work out what the party is capable of. And tweak the sum of CR against the party level ratio for the particular group of PCs.

A CR X monster really is a pretty even fight for a level X PC, within error bars. Sometimes the monster wins, sometimes the PC wins, depending on builds, situation and random chance.

KorvinStarmast
2022-02-28, 05:01 PM
@Keravath

In addition, you have a party of 8. I'm not sure if the DMG modifications include reductions if your party is large enough. For example the separate XP values might well be too high when each group individually is facing a party with 8 creatures taking actions.
It does. you drop down one row on the multiplier if the party size is 6 or more.
more monsters.
If the party contains six or more characters, use the next lowest multiplier on the table. That is why I used a 1.5 rather than a 2.0 multipiler for 5 monsters,
But... the CRs for this bundle was a wide range: 13 for the Seer, 5 for the Manglers, 10 for the Hulks. We've had a number of discussions here and elsewhere on how to account for that when estimating the adjusted XP ... and it for sure is an inexact science.

56 total PC levels.

CR 13 (10k), 2 CR 10 (5900x2), 2 CR 5 (1800x2).

Add up their CR. 13+10+10+5+5 = 43

40% of PC level sum is deadly (22.4)
1/3 is hard (18.7)
1/4 is medium (14)
1/5 is easy (11.2)

If this was split into two encounters, or a two-phase encounter, it would be two deadly encounters in a row.

For every strong (for the tier) magic item, add +1 level to the PCs. Add +1 to 2 for high-charop (per PC).
(The advantage of "adding up CR" is that it does a pretty good job of duplicating the "encounter size multiplier", but handles non-uniform monster CRs better.)
But really, you have to work out what the party is capable of. And tweak the sum of CR against the party level ratio for the particular group of PCs.
Thanks for that shorthand, might be able to use it in the future. :smallsmile: Good advice all around. :smallsmile: