PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Frogfolk [Race]

JNAProductions
2022-02-26, 04:16 PM
Frogfolk

Ability Score Increases
Your Dexterity increases by 2, and any one other ability score of your choice increases by 1. Frogfolk are nimble and adaptable.

Size
Frogfolk are mighty! For their size. Which is Small.

Speed
Frogfolk are a bit slower than their more land-footed counterparts. Your walking speed is 25', and due to your sticky gubbins on your hands and feet, you also have a climb sped equal to it. Finally, you have a swim speed ten feet faster than your land speed.

Amphibious
You can breathe both air and water. While native to watery areas, a Frogfolk is not harmed by lacking access to water much more than any other race.

Astounding Jumps
Your jump height and length is tripled, and you are always treated as having a running start when performing jumps.

Long Tongue
You have a massively long tongue, capable of reaching out to 10' away from you. You can use the tongue to deliver spells with a range of touch, manipulate small objects, or performed unarmed strikes.

Froggy Mucous
Frogfolk have massive reserves of thick mucous, coating their skin. A Frogfolk is able to control it's sticky, slick, or moist, changing as a bonus action.

While it is moist, it simply helps keep their skin smooth and healthy.
While slick, anyone who attempts to grapple the Frogfolk have disadvantage on their Strength (Athletics) check, and if the Frogfolk chooses to escape with Dexterity (Acrobatics), they have advantage on their check.
While sticky, the Frogfolk has advantage on their Strength (Athletics) checks made to grapple an opponent, and any escape attempts are made with disadvantage.

Beginning at third level, they are also able to spit chunks of mucous.

Moist mucous is icky.
Slick mucous mimics the effect of a Grease spell, save the area is a 5' square, and the effect is not magical in nature. Constitution is your casting stat for this "spell".
Sticky mucous creates a 5' square of difficult terrain, and if an opponent is successfully hit with an attack (Ranged attack, 20'/60') they must make a Dexterity save against a DC of 8+your proficiency modifier+your Constitution modifier to avoid becoming Restrained for one minute. On their turn, they may replace a single attack with a Strength check against the same DC to end the condition early.

Metastachydium
2022-02-26, 04:46 PM
Frogfolk

Froggies!

Long Tongue
You have a massively long tongue, capable of reaching out to 10' away from you. You can use the tongue to deliver spells with a range of touch,

That's an absolutely lovely idea and I love it. It also makes a hundred kinds of sense.

manipulate small objects, or performed unarmed strikes.

That's a bit more on the weird side, but sure, why not?

You may also use it to wield a single Light weapon out to 10', though while doing so, you cannot cast any spell with a Verbal component as your tongue is busy wielding a dagger or something.

This one is just silly, though.

JNAProductions
2022-02-26, 05:06 PM
Froggies!

That's an absolutely lovely idea and I love it. It also makes a hundred kinds of sense.

That's a bit more on the weird side, but sure, why not?

This one is just silly, though.

I wanted it to have SOME use for everyone. I could remove the weapon bit, and just leave it at Unarmed Strikes.

Metastachydium
2022-02-27, 03:23 PM
I wanted it to have SOME use for everyone.

A noble pursuit that I wholeheartedly approve of! Still,

I could remove the weapon bit

I'd say you'd be better off doing that. Unarmed strikes and long range manipulation of objects should certainly stay on the chassis, on the other hand.

JNAProductions
2022-02-27, 04:21 PM
Removed the weapon bit.

Loek
2022-02-27, 04:57 PM
Speed
Frogfolk are a bit slower than their more land-footed counterparts. Your walking speed is 25', and due to your sticky gubbins on your hands and feet, you also have a climb sped equal to it. Finally, you have a swim speed ten feet faster than your land speed.

I think these speeds, while thematically on point, might just be a bit much. for a slightly reduced walk speed, you get a climb speed and a fast swim speed. That said, by RAW climb/swim speed don't really add much. but still. I have an idea for this, but I'll add it at the bottom of this post.

Amphibious
You can breathe both air and water. While native to watery areas, a Frogfolk is not harmed by lacking access to water much more than any other race.

This seems to directly go against the later part of the race, namely the "Froggy Mucous - moist". I think I'd make them require more/more frequent water than normal races instead.

Moist mucous is icky.
Slick mucous mimics the effect of a Grease spell, save the area is a 5' square, and the effect is not magical in nature. Constitution is your casting stat for this "spell".
Sticky mucous creates a 5' square of difficult terrain, and if an opponent is successfully hit with an attack (Ranged attack, 20'/60') they must make a Dexterity save against a DC of 8+your proficiency modifier+your Constitution modifier to avoid becoming Restrained for one minute. On their turn, they may replace a single attack with a Strength check against the same DC to end the condition early.

What are the limitations on this ability? At will? Once per short/long rest? proficiency bonus amount per day?
Also, the grease spell (slippery/fall down) and the described ability (restrained/stuck) seem to be directly opposite each other... this feels... odd. (I'd remove the mention of grease and just make it difficult terrain, and do the restrained on a hit)

My idea
I love the idea of the tongue. Plus, as one of the other posters already said "Froggies!". I'd be tempted to split it into 2 or 3 sub races.

1) A good swimmer, breathes underwater, needs more water even then the other frogs. No climb speed, has the moist (needed for health) and slick mucouses (if in slick too long, maybe some downsides. Or maybe a max amount of usages/time per day?) Spit only has the "grease" effect
2) A good climber, can hold his breath (but no swim speed), but can't breathe underwater. Maybe they can occasionally stretch their tongue to 15ft instead? Get's all three mucouses (I'd still put in limts, but maybe less extreme then for the swimmer). Only gets the difficult terrain version of the spit.
3) A good spitter. A lesser climb speed (15-20ft?), no swim speed. Has the sticky and moist mucouses, and little to no limits to it. Has 3 types of spit (difficult terrain, grease, restrained) with the last 2 types limited/recharging.

So you'd end up with an aquatic version, a mobility/climbing version and a range/cc version.

oogaboogagoblin
2022-02-28, 03:49 PM
imagine playing a monk with this omg