PDA

View Full Version : 3.X Weapon and Armor rework

Blackhawk748
2022-02-27, 01:14 AM
So, I'm working on an E6 style system and one of my goals is to make combat more... interesting I suppose? To that end, I've been looking to make each weapon stand on its own, instead of just having the giant pile of weapons that are basically useless like 3.5 and PF has.

Part of this is making sizes for them, and no not like it was in 3.0.

Weapon Size: Weapons come in four sizes, 1 contains the smallest weapons (Daggers, small Handaxes, and Fists). 2 are all one-handed weapons that are used as typical sidearms (Arming Swords and Battle-axes). 3 are two-handed weapons that are as tall as the user or shorter (Greataxe, Spear or Bill). Size 4 are polearms and all of them have Reach (Longspear, Warscythe, Lance).

When welding a Size 1 weapon, the wielder may make one extra Attack at their highest BaB but only with the Size 1 weapon. They may only gain one extra Attack this way.

Part of me is also considering making Size one only benefit from half Strength, but I think playtesting is in order to see if it's necessary.

Here's my Armor Rework for greater context of what is gonna be going on inside of this. Short version, all armor grants DR against the three major damage types (Bludgeoning, Slashing and Piercing) on top of AC: Armor Rework (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Q2-_En2jJTvXihg6NdDWT_IOxSc3qmEidICWhdmiyvI/edit#gid=0) (ignore the particular armor types, its setting stuff)

Here's the list of Weapons. You'll notice its a very truncated list, but that's because A) many of the originals were just reskinned versions of each other or B) there was insufficient Mechanical distinction and I don't feel like trying to mechanically justify 6 variations of a poleaxe. Weapon Rework (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ypXiBN4i8ZeSR23boVLrqWdBZtrL80sb7M-Jn_gQj2A/edit#gid=0)

I also want to make a list of mundane weapon modifications, but that's a whole other project.

Eladrinblade
2022-03-07, 05:37 PM
There is actually a specific reason for each of the weapons in the phb to exist, though granted they are usually very small reasons. I'd be happy to explain any of them if you're interested.

Blackhawk748
2022-03-07, 06:12 PM
There is actually a specific reason for each of the weapons in the phb to exist, though granted they are usually very small reasons. I'd be happy to explain any of them if you're interested.

I understand that some have a +2 to Disarm, and one has an 18-20 crit, but lets be realistic, 2/3s of the weapons don't see play because whats the point? This is most obvious with the polearms.