PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next An Experimental Elf Trait--Assistance Needed

Sqwheelz64
2022-02-27, 01:36 AM
Alright, so I have an idea for an experimental elf trait, and I'd be interested in a review and suggestions:

Wood Whisper (Tree Hugging): When Fanterran elves concentrate while in physical contact with a living wooden plant, they can project their perceptions mentally through wood and earth to another living wooden plant. During such “whispering,” the elven character can leave a scripted message or visual image to another individual elf privately or leave it open to all elven whisperers who might visit the messaged tree. This is very similar to the human habit of posting letters or pictures on tree trunks.

I need help considering range, duration, and limitations of this powerful “elven internet.” For example, I have an notion that Wood Whispering cannot cross oceans or seas.

By the way, "Fanterra" is the name of my DnD 5e campaign world.

Argis13
2022-02-27, 09:20 AM
For general limitations, my suggestions are if a PC sends a message to a tree that they've never seen roll a die in secret to see if the message actually goes through. Limit the bandwidth to either 1 still image or 25 words per message, and the message lasts until local dusk of the receiver tree. Until the message disappears, that tree can't receive any more messages.

If you're concerned about power balance between nations, the solution is simple: counterplay. Have the messages be interceptable/decryptable. Have the whisper network be reliant on druidic circles to cross bodies of water, which can be infiltrated. If you want to attack a nation, surprise, a whole bunch of enemy elves are now DDoSing your trees.