PDA

View Full Version : When a spell isnt a spell

KyleG
2022-02-27, 12:56 PM
So how powerful is the ability to get a spell effect but not have to cast it? It still takes an action but it's an ability not a spell.
The idea I'm working with is making a race like fierna tiefling or genasi where they just activate their abilities. The effects are therefore not spells for the purpose of counterspell etc and therefore would also be ineligible for spell lists.

Is that a power bump of great proportion?
In the case of the above tiefling what if the "spells" were evolutions.. friends into charm into suggestion so it was just one ability depending on level and a number of uses was added?

stoutstien
2022-02-27, 01:01 PM
You can look at the spell storing item for reference. It's a power bump but not a huge one as long as you are careful which spells you are using.

PhantomSoul
2022-02-27, 01:06 PM
I think it depends both on the game and how far down the rabbit hole you go.

Balance issues:
- What does it mean to not be a spell in this case?
- Is it still Magic or not? (That may or may not have lots of implications.)
- What kind of Action is used? Spelling created "Use a pseudospell" action?
- Are limitations on spellcasting (e.g. for levelled spells) being negated too?
- Are requirements (e.g. components) being negated too?
- You bring up counterspell immunity, but if it's just for fluff, why not also fluff reasons why counterspell works? Maybe it's an anti-mutation, or maybe spell and non-spell transformations use the same basic magic so counterspell works.
- What's the campaign like?
- If you only ever fight beasts and aren't in social circumstances, it's probably not going to matter. If you're going up against spellcasters with counterspell, it's a huge boost. (It's Subtle but on stereoids!)

The short version: what's the goal? Is pure fluff sufficient -- and if not, where does it fail? Are you the DM or are you trying to get your DM on board with specific homebrew?

KyleG
2022-02-27, 01:43 PM
Looking at what changes i want to make to the next game i run and I'm in looking at all races and what are racial be cultural abilities. Spell casting, with all the trappings of v,s, m are clearly cultural in my view. But if these were abilities mimicing subtle then you could reframe them.
At this stage is just an errant synapse firing off thoughts lol. Might be too much work in the long run.

1Pirate
2022-02-27, 02:18 PM
I should point out 5e's current implementation of psionics(such as it is) basically does this. They can cast spells with no components(not even Verbal or Somatic). Mind Flayers and Ulmist Inquisitors are the only creatures I can think of off the top of my head that have it though.

heavyfuel
2022-02-27, 03:03 PM
Things that aren't spells don't break concentration from actual spells, as what breaks the concentration is "casting another spell that requires Concentration". If you're using an ability, then you're not casting anything, let alone "another spell"

This really isn't an issue, but it's something to keep in mind.

stoutstien
2022-02-27, 03:08 PM
Things that aren't spells don't break concentration from actual spells, as what breaks the concentration is "casting another spell that requires Concentration". If you're using an ability, then you're not casting anything, let alone "another spell"

This really isn't an issue, but it's something to keep in mind.
Not quite true. There are a handful of options that have the concentration tag that aren't spells that break it all the same. Trickery CD, Tasha rangers FF, and such.

OvisCaedo
2022-02-27, 04:32 PM
It could be pretty strong when applied universally, but for most things that would otherwise fit in the expected power budget of racial spells, I don't think it would be a big deal for them to be essentially "subtle" spells.