PDA

View Full Version : Glyph of warding in silence

Scarytincan
2022-02-27, 07:59 PM
Glyph specifies that when it is triggered, the spell is "cast" and that got me wondering about how that would interact with spells with verbal components inside a silence sphere. On the one hand I lean towards it being fine for various reasons (ease/thematics, spells cast from items not needing components, the components having already been cast when stored in the glyph), but I can see an argument against as well. Also worth pointing out silence specifically states "casting a spell that includes a verbal component is impossible there". Could make a useful way to deal with an unknown number of glyphs with various unknown spells...

Thoughts?

Lord Vukodlak
2022-02-27, 11:06 PM
Nope the spell was spoken when it was placed into the glyph. Silence will have no effect unless the spell deals thunder dAmage or has to be heard.

Scarytincan
2022-02-28, 12:20 AM
Any quotes to back that up by chance?

Damon_Tor
2022-02-28, 12:42 AM
Glyph specifies that when it is triggered, the spell is "cast" and that got me wondering about how that would interact with spells with verbal components inside a silence sphere. On the one hand I lean towards it being fine for various reasons (ease/thematics, spells cast from items not needing components, the components having already been cast when stored in the glyph), but I can see an argument against as well. Also worth pointing out silence specifically states "casting a spell that includes a verbal component is impossible there". Could make a useful way to deal with an unknown number of glyphs with various unknown spells...

Thoughts?

Logically, the glyph cannot make somatic components when the spell is cast the second time because it doesn't have hands. So it's reasonable to think that the second casting of the spell does not require components, which would include verbal components, and thus silence wouldn't have an effect. Is this explicit? No. The spell is kind of a mess if you look at it too hard.

Scarytincan
2022-02-28, 12:48 AM
The spell is kind of a mess if you look at it too hard.

Hehe no disagreement there. There's so many threads on this spell about its various interactions and uncertainties...part of its charm? :p