PDA

View Full Version : Star Druid - Chalice with Aura of Vitality

nickl_2000
2022-02-28, 09:54 AM
From the Circle of Stars Druid

Chalice. A constellation of a life-giving goblet appears on you. Whenever you cast a spell using a spell slot that restores hit points to a creature, you or another creature within 30 feet of you can regain hit points equal to 1d8 + your Wisdom modifier.

How does that interact with Healing over time spells like Healing Spirit or Aura of Vitality?

If there any official word on this? Is it only on the first round? On each round? Or is it up to each DM (and if it is what would you rule)?

tiornys
2022-02-28, 10:02 AM
I see two ways to interpret this RAW: the ability triggers at the time of casting the spell since it's a spell that restores HP (i.e. is capable of restoring HP), or the ability doesn't trigger because no HP are restored at the time of casting the spell. I would rule the former in this case. Either way, the trigger is "whenever you cast..." not "whenever you restore HP with a spell..." so it would not trigger on every instance of healing.

Gurgeh
2022-02-28, 10:22 AM
I'm with Tiornys - it absolutely does not trigger every time HP is restored, since the condition explicitly requires you to cast a spell from a spell slot.

I think the pure RAW is arguable between "nothing happens" and "chalice activates once, when the spell is cast" - if I were running a game, I'd lean toward the latter.

Mastikator
2022-02-28, 10:44 AM
I also agree. The healing from Chalice only applies on the initial casting. Using a bonus action/action to activate an ongoing spell is not the same as casting it.

Psyren
2022-02-28, 12:00 PM
+1 to once per casting.