PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Help me run my party through a party

Sindeloke
2022-02-28, 03:31 PM
I am, as one does, trying to use D&D for something it isn't for, by, well, first of all, by making a mystery campaign to begin with, but currently, by sending my guys to a big yearly shindig in order to gather their next round of clues from other attendees. Their main goal is to talk to the current head of the police department, to try to find out why the police aren't investigating the problem, and potentially learn any info the police have that the party doesn't.

So, uh, what the heck does that look like?

I was thinking a little about trying to do a skill-challenge type thing, but the problem with that is that my party is a pile of utter noobs. 3/6 of them still don't really have a grasp on "move, action, bonus action (if applicable)," and 2/6 are so terminally shy that I have to directly address them to ever get them to do anything. There's so much hand-holding. So. Much. I mostly don't mind, but it means that no one is going to bust out with "are there any cops at the gambling table? I pretend I want to flirt with the Chief, and use my card game proficiency to ask for tips on how to talk to her whenever I win a hand." In fact I doubt anyone will even think to go "I eavesdrop on the Chief's conversations and use Insight to figure out what not to say" without some minor prompting. I cannot rely on them to think of creative ways to approach the goal.

Which is symptomatic of the bigger issue that none of them know what they can do, just as a general rule, but part of my hope with sending them to the party in the first place is to try to teach them that they can try to do literally anything. But in the meantime, I guess I'm just asking for suggestions on how to guide them through this in any way that's even slightly more fun and communal than "have the face make a Persuasion check and call it a night"?

For reference,
fighter, noble, invited as a guest, will do fine with only minor nudging
bard, professional entertainer, here as the entertainment, will probably also do fine
rogue, prepubescent ward of fighter, here as the fighter's +1, a CS kenderlike character who will think of plenty of things to do but 50/50 whether they'll be disruptive and counterproductive
sorceror, swamp witch hermit, part of the bard's act, needs maximum handholding
ranger, wandering do-gooder, part of the bard's act, needs some handholding
rogue, thieves' guild professional, sneaking in and will pose as the help, needs some handholding

NPC target, chief of police, noble client of another noble house, elitist and ambitious, feels stifled by her patron micromanaging her job for political reasons, a very talkative and approachable drunk but has been instructed by her own head of house to stop making a drunken fool of herself at parties, other useful personality traits TBD

Bobthewizard
2022-02-28, 03:42 PM
Something I've done is to describe the scene and then ask everyone to describe an action they take and to pick a skill to roll for that action. Everyone needs to go once and will have a DC of 15, then we'll see what happens based on the number of successes. Then summarize the results after everyone has gone and maybe ask them to do it again, or maybe at that point you could freewheel the action. This doesn't flow as well as responding to each player individually, but it gets everyone involved.

J-H
2022-02-28, 10:49 PM
^What he said
But since they may not have any ideas, pregenerate a short list of things you can suggest from when they are giving the What and Who and How:

What
Dance
Get food
Socialize
Go outside
Be a wallflower

Who
Servants
People from X, Y, Z alliances
Soldier-types
Noble-types
Merchant-types

How
Politely
Rudely
Aggressively
Overtly
Subtlely
Seductively
Boldly
etc.

JonBeowulf
2022-02-28, 11:54 PM
I'm really not trying to be a jerk here, but why are you even considering running this for a group that is unfamiliar with the rules? What makes you think a highly social situation with two players who won't say anything without prompting will be fun for any of you? I think you're risking a disaster that may turn them off the game forever.

The idea is solid -- it sounds like something my group and I would thoroughly enjoy -- but this may not be the time to pull it out.

Demonslayer666
2022-03-01, 12:00 PM
Lead them with your descriptions, "so-and-so looks like an interesting person to talk to. There's a lot of action at the poker table." etc.

Even if they don't actively engage and stand around doing nothing, you can have them overhear stuff, or have someone come talk to them.

I don't require my players to learn action economy, I don't think it's required. They just tell me what they want to do, and I fit it to the game mechanics.

Easy e
2022-03-01, 06:38 PM
As Bobthewizard says, go to each person and ask them what they are doing.

Be sure to move the spotlight around a lot and ask them what they are doing or trying to accomplish.

Only roll dice when needed, and prompt them to RP a bit before any rolling happens.

Rad
2022-03-02, 04:51 AM
The Alexandrian has an article in his blog specifically for managing parties in RPGs:
Game Structure: Party Planning (https://thealexandrian.net/wordpress/37995/roleplaying-games/game-structure-party-planning)
It details how to prep one and also how the players can interact with the material in practice at the table.

I'll also warmly reccommend his take on misteries which is best summed up in his Three Clue Rule (https://thealexandrian.net/wordpress/1118/roleplaying-games/three-clue-rule). I'm running a mistery based on it and it's going great.

All in all, it is some reading, but it's worth every minute you'll put into it if this is the kind of game you're after.