PDA

View Full Version : Blood Hunter Flaming Rite uses

Rev666
2022-03-01, 08:12 PM
Okay so the Blood Hunter can take Rite of the Flame as a Crimson Rite making the weapon do extra fire damage (based on your Hemocraft die) and in a lot of images this is shown as flaming weapons.

Now this is a silly question but could the flame from the weapon be used as a tool (to start campfires, keep people warm etc) or are the flames just artistic licence and the blade just heats on impact?

Dualight
2022-03-02, 04:01 PM
I am not fully familiar with the exact text of the blood hunter, but I expect that features like this behave much like spells, so it only does what the ability text says it does. So it deals fire damage and nothing else.

That said, this falls firmly into 'ask your DM' territory.

Evaar
2022-03-02, 06:44 PM
Yup, what Dualight said. Fire effects that act like fire in terms of igniting objects tend to specify they do that; Crimson Rite doesn't. But I would say it's pretty unlikely a DM would rule it out if you just ask.

Just be honest about your plans; specify what you hope to accomplish with this. If you try to hide your cards, your DM might think you have some broken combo in mind and just rule it out to be safe.

Rev666
2022-03-02, 10:21 PM
Yup, what Dualight said. Fire effects that act like fire in terms of igniting objects tend to specify they do that; Crimson Rite doesn't. But I would say it's pretty unlikely a DM would rule it out if you just ask.

Just be honest about your plans; specify what you hope to accomplish with this. If you try to hide your cards, your DM might think you have some broken combo in mind and just rule it out to be safe.

The main reason i was trying to figure this out is half practicality half rule of cool. As i have an Alchemists kit i intended on using the fire like a bunsen burner while were out in the wilderness but need something on the move. My character is also a cockney gangster who smokes cigars and i wanted him to be able to light his cigar mid battle using the flame (a la comedian from Watchmen)

Phhase
2022-03-03, 01:59 PM
The real question is, if you have Tavern Brawler, and thus proficiency with improvised weapons, and you wield a creature as a weapon, can you light them on fire with Crimson Rite?

Evaar
2022-03-03, 03:31 PM
The main reason i was trying to figure this out is half practicality half rule of cool. As i have an Alchemists kit i intended on using the fire like a bunsen burner while were out in the wilderness but need something on the move. My character is also a cockney gangster who smokes cigars and i wanted him to be able to light his cigar mid battle using the flame (a la comedian from Watchmen)

Keep in mind Crimson Rite inflicts damage on you in order to activate it. You're cutting yourself to get access to your blood to perform the Crimson Rite. So if it's mid-fight and you already have it going, sure, makes sense, but your character is really going out of his way to be edgy if he's doing this out of combat. Not saying you can't still do it, it could even be funny if you want it to be, but just be aware of what the mechanics are portraying.

Rev666
2022-03-04, 01:26 AM
Keep in mind Crimson Rite inflicts damage on you in order to activate it. You're cutting yourself to get access to your blood to perform the Crimson Rite. So if it's mid-fight and you already have it going, sure, makes sense, but your character is really going out of his way to be edgy if he's doing this out of combat. Not saying you can't still do it, it could even be funny if you want it to be, but just be aware of what the mechanics are portraying.

You technically don't cut yourself. You take Necrotic equal to a roll of your hemocraft and it stays active til the end of a rest. It could feasibly be activated at 7am and last til the same time next morning.