PDA

View Full Version : Improved Pact Weapon and Blessing of the Forge

Skrum
2022-03-02, 09:23 AM
I'm sure this isn't RAI, but RAW, these abilities seem stackable.

Pact weapon creates a melee weapon each time the ability is used. It *counts* as magical for the purposes of overcoming damage resistance, but it is not actually magical.

Improved pact weapon grants a +1 to attack and damage, but doesn't change anything else about it.

Blessing of the Forge can only be used on non-magical items, which pact weapon isn't. So....another +1? And since you'll be making a new "generic" pact weapon each day, it will be a legal target for the Blessing each time.

Am I wrong here?

Jak
2022-03-02, 09:38 AM
As you quoted it, hell yeah. If they didn't want it to stack with stuff like that, then they should've called it magical, and not used the fiddly and oddly specific "counts as magical" language.

Burley
2022-03-02, 10:55 AM
Blessing of the Forge says "the object becomes a magic item." IPW says it gets +1, unless it already had it from being a magical weapon.

So, when you frame it like IPW happens and then Blessing of the Forge, it seems like it'd work. Except that, once Blessing of the Forge is used, your weapon is magical and IPW won't apply a bonus, anymore.

Pact weapons "counting as magical" doesn't really come into play, because Blessing of the Forge makes it magical.

JLandan
2022-03-02, 02:34 PM
I don't believe it would stack. IPW says that the +1 to hit and damage doesn't apply if the weapon is magic. If you make it into a magic weapon with BotF, it would cease to apply.

Pildion
2022-03-02, 02:39 PM
I'm sure this isn't RAI, but RAW, these abilities seem stackable.

Pact weapon creates a melee weapon each time the ability is used. It *counts* as magical for the purposes of overcoming damage resistance, but it is not actually magical.

Improved pact weapon grants a +1 to attack and damage, but doesn't change anything else about it.

Blessing of the Forge can only be used on non-magical items, which pact weapon isn't. So....another +1? And since you'll be making a new "generic" pact weapon each day, it will be a legal target for the Blessing each time.

Am I wrong here?

I agree that it was written poorly, but in the end, its not suppose to stack like that. As a DM I wouldn't allow this.