PDA

View Full Version : Kaorti Ubercyst placement

schreier
2022-03-02, 12:40 PM
Has anyone actually used the Kaorti Ubercyst? If so, where did they place it? It is location-agnostic as printed, but says

Built in a subterranean lair within a dense forest, the cyst remains undiscovered by natives of the world. (DMs can place the ubercyst in any campaign world.) Over the millennia, the kaorti have had an opportunity to strike at unfortunate travelers passing through their forest. They capture these travelers and transform them into kaorti or into their thralls. Their lair is located 200 feet below ground, and the entrance to the winding tunnel that leads there is hidden behind a waterfall

and

In addition, the forest the kaorti inhabit is peaceful, even tranquil, since the kaorti hunt any dangerous creatures that move into the forest and transform them into thrall to be used later.

This seems a reasonable possibility for Forgotten Realms:
https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Hermit%27s_Wood

It says "Bar visiting humans, no sentient beings actually lived within the forest." and has a rumor: "The ghost of a gray-cloaked or gray-robed old man with a lantern that shone with an unnatural blue- or azure-colored light was said to haunt the wood, appearing at night under a full moon. However, it was hard to find anyone who claimed to have seen it with their own eyes, despite the regular human presence there.[1][2][3] Many wondered at the ghost's origin, and whether it even existed or not. The most popular story was that the ghost was of the hermit, who supposedly met some dreadful and unnatural end there, and that the cause might yet lie somewhere in the wood. Some attributed the lack of habitation to this, claiming non-humans had the good sense or instinct not to live there. Again, no actual incidents were ever recorded. Skeptics said it was all fiction, or the sighting of will-o'-the-wisps."

Any other thoughts or ideas for locations?

schreier
2022-03-06, 10:09 AM
Sounds like no one has used the encounter. How many have allowed the kaorti resin in game, and if they have - how did you introduce it?

TristanS
2022-03-08, 08:54 AM
I have tried to justify getting kaorti resin, but no luck yet. The x4 crit is pretty, but other than possibly recovering one off of a dead kaorti I don't see a way.

I know there can be redeemed kaorti, but it feels like it would be a quest like Thor did to build Stormbringer. Mindrape could work? I know that is somehow not considered bad.