PDA

View Full Version : Troubles in Athkatla, chapter II.

Pages : 1 [2]

Annalia
2008-06-17, 10:56 PM
Ceria

Letting out a huge sigh of relief as she discovered all her books were intact, Ceria stood up, shouldering her sack, and took a few steps toward the lone exit. "Let's go there."

Truwar
2008-06-18, 05:10 PM
With the lantern apparently able to pierce the darkness, Jhaen holds off on casting the daylight spell and instead examines his surroundings, while readying his weaponry and unconsciously moving to Tanara’s side.

Knowledge Planes [roll0]

Toliudar
2008-06-18, 07:19 PM
Jan

Whew. Creepy. I haven't been in a place this strange since the time Aunt Petunia was trying to summon a Bogun. Only she said "Balrog" by mistake. This lawyer showed up in the summoning circle to explain to us that we weren't allowed to call things Balrogs, even though there were these demons that looked pretty much exactly like them. We had to call them Balors, although they're of such fierce disposition and terrible table manners, I don't really understand why anyone would call them anything.

He set down the lantern, and pulled out the Flasher Masher to load. Picking up the lantern again in his other hand, he shrugged at the others.

I'm sure that that moaning's not a Balro - er - ah - demon at all, though. Don't know why I mentioned it at all, really. Erm. After you!

Callos_DeTerran
2008-06-18, 10:28 PM
Erissa

It was hard to see, even with the meager light provided by Jansen's lantern and the hathran had the feeling that just maybe she could help in this regard. She dug around in her pack, rifling through the belongings until finding what it was that she had been searching for. Pulling out the short torch she unwrapped the cloth from around the tip to let the azure light from it burst forth.

"I think matters less where we are as how got here." Came the broken Common as Erissa looked around, looking surprised at they're surroundings. How far below ground where they? How had they gotten here? Taking a deep breath the cloaked hathran closed her eyes and reached deep, trying to touch upon her spark of the Sight..

Wisdom Check to evoke vision...[roll0]

amanodel
2008-06-19, 08:05 AM
Strangely enough, neither Erissa nor Jhaen could say what is this place, and how you got here. But everyone can feel that something's very wrong.

Continueing to the direction of the continous moaning, you get into anoter chamber of the cave system. It's just as dark as the previous one, but the lantern illuminates it somehow, and you find a most disturbing sight.

The cave is at least 20 meters high, and massive chains hang from the floor. A human, wearing a similar dress to Drega Trajbu and the other disappeared people, hangs from those chains at the centre of the cave chamber. He was the source of moaning, but when the lantern enlightened the room, the moaning turned into a silent screaming, as the chained, hanging man desperatedly tried to look away from the light, which seemed to burn his eyes.

El Jaspero, the Pirate King
2008-06-19, 04:33 PM
Vorr readies his axe and stands menacingly, but doesn't have anything to say. Yet.

Annalia
2008-06-19, 04:57 PM
Ceria

Ceria's eyes widened in horror as she watched the chained men. "Cover the lamp! Cover the lamp, I'll get him down!"

Without thinking much about the possible consequences her spell could have, Ceria immediately began chanting. A moment later, a shrill sound spread through the room, and the chain holding the poor man shook dangerously.

Using Shatter on the chain. I can break a single object up to 70 lb. so I think I should be alright. :smallwink:

Toliudar
2008-06-19, 06:20 PM
Jan

Shrugging, Jan sets the lantern down and adjusts the shutter so that only a small fraction of the light escapes.

You think he's been down here so long he's not used to the light anymore? My goodness. I've heard that there are fish and lizards like that, bumping along in the dark so long that their eyes just become -

Sensing that no one is listening to him, perhaps even including he himself, Jan trails off.

amanodel
2008-06-23, 04:07 PM
Upon Ceria's spell, the chans shatter, and the man falls to the ground, into a dark spot. You hear him reach the ground, and that the man is trying to move. He tries to stand up, but he can't.

Can't chain me, fool! - you hear a hissing voice from that direction, and the man starts to scream very loud. It becomes louder with each second before it finally stops.

A large shadowy mass arises from within the man, who is not moving anymore.

The shadowy creature is at least twice as tall as you are, and is probably the most disturbing and menacing thing you've ever seen, including the Jansen household.

Toliudar
2008-06-23, 06:47 PM
Jan

Jan has, if nothing else, an excellent grasp of the obvious. He tries to be casual in the way that he sets down the lantern and raises his Flasher Masher.

Well, that's just about the most disturbing thing I've seen for some time. At least, since the same kind of thing happened to the men on the docks.

Truwar
2008-06-24, 10:48 AM
Jhaen raises his holy symbol, grimly preparing to unleash the wrath of the Morning Lord on this creature of darkness.

Knowledge Religion to know if it is an undead shadow: [roll0]

Turn Check, if it attacks: [roll1]

Callos_DeTerran
2008-06-24, 11:26 AM
Erissa

Not more killer shadows!

Erissa had watched tactly, and no small degree of approval, as Cerisa broke the chain with a spell and lowered the man down to the ground. Once he was done, and they were certain he wouldn't do something foolish like attack them, she would be more then content to try healing the man's injuries. That was, of course, before the giant shadow pulled itself from his body to leave the man motionless.

The hathran stepped back, mentally cursing those who worked in the dark and with fell forces to animate creatures such as this or to bind them. What were they thinking? When did it ever seem like a good idea? She didn't attack yet though, merely fished the silver holy symbol she wore out of her robes and clutched it tightly in one gloved hand while the other pointed menacingly at the shadow, a ball of azure flames swirling, ready to strike if the shadow attacked.

Readying an action for Anyspell (Scorching Ray) if it attacks.

Ranged Touch:

Damage: [roll1] fire damage

Yawielas
2008-06-24, 11:55 AM
Tanara is a much simpler sort. Big scary shadow thing rising from a seemingly dead man? Probably bad. She darts quickly forward, thrusting with her halberd twice before darting back out of its way.

Annalia
2008-06-24, 03:36 PM
Ceria

"Huh..." Ceria watched the shadow rise in shocked horror. "I was trying to help him." Visibly, Jan wasn't the only one with a good grasp of the obvious.

Following the other's idea of 'attack it before it kills us', she launched into her well-loved magic missiles, which she knew would hit the shadow creature.

Say, Amanodel, did we get our spells back in that weird rest or will I have to request stopping soon? I don't exactly mind, although it gives me a fair idea of what power I have left in me (still got a Dimension Door, if we need to escape quickly!)

Either way, I'd have Magic Missiles ready, so here goes: [roll0]

amanodel
2008-06-24, 04:21 PM
(All of your power is avaible, but some of them may not work in this place :) )

Toliudar
2008-06-25, 08:03 PM
Jan

Not fully prepared for the immediate and varied responses to this new, shadowy figure, Jan retreats and hefts his Flasher Masher.

Basically, delaying until the others' actions resolve, just in case the figure turns out to be some kind of weird illusion, or not susceptible to their attacks.

amanodel
2008-06-30, 08:15 AM
Jhaen doesn't reckognize the creature as a shaodow of the dead, it is much more tangible, as if it was created from a shadowy mass, and the purest evils. Erissa and Ceria hit the monster with their spells, and altough it must have had some effect on the creature, no signs show that.

As it raises, you feel an unholy area filling the air.

Tanara charges boldly, but when her eyes meet themonsters', she suddenly freezes in her place, unable to attack, or to withdraw.

It steps near her, and hits her hard, but Tanara is even unable to scream, altough she is wounded badly.

Yawielas
2008-06-30, 08:27 AM
/Sound like a fitting place to say I'll be away from Tuesday to Sunday :) )

Toliudar
2008-06-30, 09:26 AM
Jan

Jan's voice is soft and wistful as he says:

Well. Flapdoodle.

Quickly, he fires into the mass of shadow, and reaches to fit another bolt into the intricate device.

My goodness. Any ideas, folks?

Attack with crossbow.

[roll0] Attack
[roll1] Crit confirmation on 19 or 20. If this is even relevant.
[roll2] Damage

Truwar
2008-06-30, 10:38 AM
Jhaen roars in fury at the vile creature of evil and darkness, as he does so he unleashes the ultimate solvent for darkness, sunlight.

((Jhaen casts searing light at the creature. Not sure what kind of damage it should do. It does 1d8/2 levels to normal creatures and 1d8 per level to creatures particularly vulnerable to sunlight, so I will just roll both))

Ranged Touch:
Damage: Normal: [roll1]
If creature is sunlight vulnerable: [roll]8d8

Truwar
2008-06-30, 10:39 AM
((let's see if the roll will work this time))

If vulnerable to sunlight: [roll0]

Annalia
2008-06-30, 11:13 AM
Ceria

"Err... hit harder?" Ceria suggested sheepishly. Wind and sound were far from the best weapons against a thing of shadow, but at least she knew she'd cause some damage. Moving to the side to make sure she wouldn't hit anyone with the spell, Ceria chanted the mystic words that would bring forth a cone of intense sonic waves.

Go Shout! Fortitude DC 20
[roll0]
[roll1] - if that's even applicable.

amanodel
2008-07-02, 08:16 AM
Jhaen's light weaken the creature of darkness considerably, but it's still not down. It shakes off the attack, and points his finger towards the charging Vorr. The monster utters a few words in a blaspemous language, and the dwarf falls to the floor lifelessly.

Ceria's shout spell echoes in the cave seemingly forever, but it takes more to take this monster down.

Jansen's flasher master patented crossbow hits the vile creature betzeen the eyes, but that doesn not seem to even discomfort the pitch black monster.

Annalia
2008-07-02, 12:06 PM
Ceria

Jan's right. Flapdoodle is the only word for this. Ceria thought, before relentlessly unleashing another spell.

Back to Magic Missile with me.
[roll0]

Toliudar
2008-07-02, 11:14 PM
Jan

Vorr! Vorr, can you hear me?

Hmm. That would be a no.

Jan grimaces. The big stoic dwarf had been a friendly and loyal companion. Perhaps Aunt Penelope might be able to administer a life-giving draught.

Assuming they'd ever see Aunt Penelope again.

Jan shifts the flasher-masher in his hands, and sends a quartet of flaming turnips after Ceria's glowing orbs.

Unless Ceria's spell seems to do nothing against the creature, Jan will follow up with his own Magic Missile: [roll0]

Callos_DeTerran
2008-07-02, 11:36 PM
Erissa

So then it's sunlight...

Erissa thinks coolly as she watches the Lathandar's follower's light diminish the creature of darkness that they were facing. With a brief now of her head the hathran began to intone softly in her own native tongue, rolling out the words for a similar spell that her companion had cast.

When it finished another bright swathe of sunlight erupts from her hand to bath this creature in cleansing sunlight, and then she merely prayed that it'd be enough to destroy it or at least drive it back.

Attack Roll: [roll0]
Damage (not sure which it is): [roll1], [roll2], or [roll3]

Truwar
2008-07-03, 04:26 PM
Jhaen chants a quiet prayer to Lathander, then sheathes himself in golden flame.

((Casts flame shield (hot))))

amanodel
2008-07-07, 04:24 PM
You fire your spells again, but even though hitting the monster accurately, you fail to bring it down. It moves near Tanara, and rips the elf girl apart with its giant hands. After that, the black monster runs towards the rest of yout group with such speed you'd think is impossible for such a large beeing.

It stops right next to Erissa, and the sorceeress cannot even gasp before the black claws penetrate her back, and she falls to the ground lifelessly.

Rache roars and attacks the black monster carelssly, and plants his halberd deep inside the creature of darkness. The monster hisses, and murmurs only one single word as it raises its hand, and you see as if the monster would suck Rache's soul out of his body. The body collapses a moment after the spell is done.

(Everyone, please stay with us, I'll explain the situation a few days later :) )

Annalia
2008-07-08, 11:54 PM
Ceria

As more and more of her companions fell to the deadly creature, Ceria gasped in horror. She reflexively backed away, towards Jan and Jhaen, feeling suddenly very vulnerable. She could disappear. She always had an Invisibility spell ready. But to do what? She didn't want to leave the others alone, and the chances she found her way out by herself were slim.

"Lady of the Air, help us." She murmured, before casting another spell. For the third time, four magical bolts flew from her hand, striking unerringly at the deadly shadow.

Should I even roll? :smallwink:
[roll0]

amanodel
2008-07-23, 10:22 AM
That server move happened in quite a wrong period, and I just noticed that the forums are back. I'll post tomorrow.

Truwar
2008-07-23, 06:48 PM
Jhaen moves into the path of the creature, daring it to attack his flame wreathed body as he enchants his heavy mace.

((casting gretaer magic weapon on Jhaen's mace))

amanodel
2008-07-24, 04:55 PM
Jhaen and Ceria continues the fight, but with no significant result. The magic missiles barely seem to affect the creature.

Pathatic! You are no match for me! - he yells, and he casts a spell, which reminds you of a fireball, but the instead of using fire, it is formed from black, ice-cold waves.

You all feel intense pain, and everything turns into black. The last thing you remember is that you hit the ground almost unconsciously.

You wake up later, and find yourself in the same room you disappeared from, as if you had only dreamed, altough everyone looks scared, almost white. You are exactly where you fell asleep. You realize that the rings that the Sunlord gave to you, are missing.

Only three of you were wearing the rings. Jansen, Tanara, and Rache. You can't see Tanara, but a large, black feline predator lies on her place peacefully. Tanara feels a little funny as she wakes up, and notices that everyone looks at her with a clearly shocked face.

(kicking forward the story. Sorry about the dream-like scene, they were awesome in Baldur's Gate, and I felt like I have to try it. :) )

Toliudar
2008-07-24, 05:48 PM
Jan

Not yet noting the absence of his ring, Jan is too focused on the big cat on his rug. He tries very hard to project an un-mouse-like appearance.

Um. Nice kitty. Kitty want a turnip?

2008-07-25, 05:19 PM
Vorr wakes, his eyes eagerly searching for a moment, but after a moment he sighs and shakes his head.

"These are not the Halls of Battle Undending." He finally sees the rest of the party. "Clearly not."

Yawielas
2008-07-27, 03:29 PM
(Not sure if she can talk or not, but she'd try to ask why they're all looking at her like that. By the way, I'll be on vacation from wedensday to saturday this week, not sure if I'll be able to post, so feel free to NPC Tanara :) )

Truwar
2008-07-29, 04:41 PM
Jhaen staggers to his feet, staring somewaht dubiously at the cat occupying the place where Tanara had been earlier. Tanara? Is that you?

amanodel
2008-07-30, 10:52 AM
The large panther looks at you, as if she couldn't understand your attention, and then she roards silently. It woul have been a gentle "meow", is she was not that big in size.

Toliudar
2008-07-31, 11:20 AM
Jan

Jan moves slowly towards the door, making no sudden movements and facing the big cat at all times.

Why is it fear that animals have to be able to smell. Wouldn't it be much nicer if it were, oh, affection. "They can smell affection" would be much handier. But no.

He speaks to the others, softly.

I'm going to go get some milk. And perhaps a few chickens. You stay here with kitty. Wouldn't want it getting into my enlarge-o-matic apparatus, right?

Callos_DeTerran
2008-08-03, 07:55 AM
Erissa

Erissa came out of the dream in a cold sweat, eyes wide open and filled with fear as they darted around feverishly before they settled on the panther and the feeling gradually began to fade. Just what on earth...? It took a second for it to hit that Tanara was missing and this panther lay in her place but when it did the hathran's mind jumped to magical causes almost right away.

Stepping carefully towards the panther she keeps a reasonable distance from it and holds her hands far apart to try looking less intimidating. "Can you understand me? Just know if can."

Yawielas
2008-08-04, 02:48 PM
(I don't know if she can understand you or not.)

amanodel
2008-08-06, 05:41 AM
The panther can understand you, but she cannot answer, lacking the ability to talk.

Tanara realized something is wrong, and the fact that everyone is staring at her certanily made her to worry about her condition.

You hear Ma' Jansens voice from upstairs: Are you all rigth, Jan my dear? I've heard something from over there, I hope that baby umber hulk haven't escaped!

Toliudar
2008-08-06, 09:29 AM
Jan

Jan slips out the door and trots up to his mother's lab - if anything, more scarred and scorched than his own. He goes to kiss his mother's cheek.

Hi Ma. No, as far as I know, the umber hulk's still eating his way through Aunt Petunia's turnip pudding batter in the pantry. We just had some kind of weird dream-transportation to some great cavern, where a chained-up human died and a huge amorphous shadow-thing sprang out and attacked us, and when we came out, Tanara was gone and there's a massive kitty cat in the room. It seems friendly enough, or at least it hasn't sprung up and killed anyone. Yet. Do you know if we still have any milk? The real stuff this time, not that your Tur-Milk wasn't terrific, but it's a bit of an acquired taste, what with the burning aftertaste and all. But what am I doing bothering you? I'll go check for myself. Have a great morning, mom!

In a few minutes, Jan returns to his bedchamber with a large bowl of milk.

Yawielas
2008-08-06, 10:04 AM
The panther stands, moving its head from side to side to see itself. Realising she's standing on four legs in stead of two, it lets out a surprised mmeeeoowwwrrrrrr, then looks at the others, blinking its yellow eyes. It pads a bit back and forth in the room before sitting down, looking pleadingly up at Jhaen.

Truwar
2008-08-06, 01:27 PM
The cat’s reaction confirms things in Jhaen’s mind. I am pretty sure that this is Tanara. Jhaen sinks to one knee and looks the panther in the eyes. Don’t worry Tanara. We will get this straightened out. I am sure that we will be able to find someone that can change you back.

Toliudar
2008-08-06, 04:11 PM
Jan

Tanara? You think so? Well, she always did have a certain wild side...

He sets the bowl of milk down close - but not too close - to the panther.

Can you understand us, Miss Tanara? Nod your head if you can.

Yawielas
2008-08-06, 04:19 PM
The panther nods at Jan, then places her head on Jhaen's shoulder.

amanodel
2008-08-07, 03:09 PM
(Feel free to have panthery fun until I'm away!)

Be careful Jan! - you hear Ma' Jansen's voice, altough you don't really understand why would she worry about a panther. If half of the things Jan's saying are true, there are far more dangerous creatures residing in the Jansen home.

Truwar
2008-08-07, 05:44 PM
Although a tiny bit nervous about have a large hunting cat’s jaws so close to his neck, Jhaen quickly calms down and begins petting its back and flanks in a soothing fashion. Suddenly his hand freezes as he remembers just WHO this cat is and, after doing a bit of horrified mental geometry in relation to where his hand had just been, flushes bright enough to make the Morninglord envious of his ability to light up the room.

Errp… after a few seconds he manages to get out That is to say… errm… finally after taking a deep, shaking breath, with his eyes closed tightly he manages to address Tanara. I am so sorry, it was just automatic you see… when one wishes to calm an animal in an unfamiliar situation one just… not that I think you are an… you see after the dream and you’re… situation, everything is a bit confused and I… errm, meant it was a bit of an automatic response, not that I would automatically…

Having run out of nerve, Jhaen simply closes his eyes in mortification and tries to find a happy place in his mind where he was NOT inappropriately fondling his fellow party member.

Yawielas
2008-08-08, 01:52 AM
The panther looks at Jhaen, listening to hihs jumbled apology with a tilted head, then licks his face.

Truwar
2008-08-11, 11:15 AM
Despite the fact that Jhaen’s embarrassment addled brain probably just translated the lick he received from a panther to a kiss from Tanara, the young cleric does not lapse into spasmodic seizures of mortification, he actually seems to calm down a bit. Taking a deep breath he smiles at Tanara. Thank you, I really need to stop doing that. We will get you the help you need though.

Annalia
2008-08-16, 10:01 AM
Ceria

Not quite understanding what Jhaen's embarrassment was about, Ceria moved to the panther with a wondering grin on her face. The feline's presence had visibly been all it took for the half-elf to forget the bad dream and move on, for she didn't seem fazed in the slightest.

"You think this is Tanara? She does seem awfully friendly for a panther. Maybe someone transformed her, but then someone would have to come in here. Unless we really did move to that strange cave, but if we had, I'd be dead. And so would... well, everyone."

She reached out for her pack, pulling out various books and looking at the titles in the hopes she'd recall anything about weird dreams and panther shaping. "I don't think I ever heard of anything like this, but we need to fix this."

I'm guessing either Knowledge Arcana or Knowledge Nature to get anything.
[roll0]
[roll1]

amanodel
2008-08-16, 11:57 AM
Ceria can't find any recorded history such as this one in her books.

Rache is concerned about that they might had the same dream with Ceria and the others, because if it wasn't real, it must have been a dream.

He's also complaining about his hands itching, and that his magic ring from the Sunlord disappeared.

(I'll be back tuesday-ish with some action.)

Annalia
2008-08-16, 12:55 PM
Ceria

Disappointed that her books were no help, Ceria stored them all back in her magical sack. She'd have to find the explanation elsewhere. "What magic ring? Did Tanara have one too? Maybe it protected her from some sort of shapechanging magic."

amanodel
2008-08-20, 01:07 PM
Following Ma Jansen's advice (which was the only one), you head into the slums, trying to meet with the were-rat mafia, for they are the only ones who could have useful insight into Tanara's current state. There are usually a few of them gathering around the Copper Coronet, and you have encountered them enough times to maybe identify one of them in human form. ltough you are still have a task to do for the were-rats, to free one of them from the prison of the Jhaen's templew who was accused with the robbing of the temple. It might be wise to settle that task first, and then visit the were-rats, they are not likely to help you without something in return.

Some of the townsfolk might be afraid of Tanara in her current form, so Rache suggeted that someone should act like her master.

Just a quick overlook, about the main quest. You had a lunar month to collect the ingredients, and half of it passed until now.

Quest items acquired (they are held at Jansen's house in a very safe room):
Rogue Stone
Diamond, Fire Opal
Heart in frost box
Skull of Varage'lo
Eagle feathers
Relic of Sun (from Jhaen's temple)
Relic of Hope (from Ilmater's temple)
Major magic item: the Sharite dagger

Quest items missing:
King's Tear (a rare gemstone)
Virgin's blood
Relic of Law

Toliudar
2008-08-20, 04:45 PM
Jan

Before they set out for the Coronet that morning, Jan spoke to the others over a round of fortifying turnip muffins. He relied on Tanara to nod or shake her head in response.

Look, these kind of transformations are kind of outside of my area of expertise. There was the time that Great Uncle Gollpo accidentally changed himself into an anteater. Turns out, though, that he was much more useful to the household in that form. Kept us cleared out of bugs for nearly ten years. Never saw Great Aunt Maeda happier, either. I suspect, though, that that's not the case here, eh, Tanara?

So, this seems like the removal of a curse, or something that's going to need the expertise of somebody like the wererats. I don't figure we can go back to them until we dealt with that member of theirs who's held by the Morninglords. Either way...

He turned to Jhaen.

This rather sounds like your department, Jhaen. Do you think you could go to the high muckity muck for another favour. He's the one who knows they've got an innocent, er, something locked up for that theft. He might even feel honour bound to spring him, if you see what I mean.

amanodel
2008-08-25, 09:41 AM
Sorry for not waiting for Truwar this time, I'll NPC Jhaen now.

Jhaen seems to be ashamed to go back to the temple after robbing it, but an innocent man needs help, and he deserves if, even if he's a were-rat. And, of course more importantly, Tanara needs help.

Let's go, then. - Jhaen leads you to the temple of Lathander, but he is informed at the gates that the high priest travelled away on an important mission yesterday night.

A young priest of lathander accompanies you to the temple. He seems to respect Jhaen, who is, indeed, became a rather well-known agend of their faith.

Yawielas
2008-08-25, 10:19 AM
Tanara flicks her tail, trotting alongside the others while studying their surroundings with yellow eyes.

Annalia
2008-08-25, 10:31 AM
Ceria

When they are told the high priest is away, Ceria moved to Jan's side and whispered none-too-subtly. "So what do we do now? We're not about to tell someone else we took off with the artifact!"

Reflecting on her own words, she then added. "Or maybe we could. As long as they don't put me in an anti-magic cell, I can escape super easily. They let the rat go with an apology, and we're set."

Truwar
2008-08-25, 11:14 AM
I think we can handle this in a more circumspect matter. We will simply tell them the truth. The imprisoned fellow's compatriots came to us and made a very convincing case for his innocence. A simple zone of truth spell will insure that my fellow priests are convinced of his lack of culpability in this matter.

Jhaen asks the young priest to guide them to whoever is currently in charge of the temple.

amanodel
2008-08-31, 04:07 AM
The boy leads you to the chamber of an old priest. Jhaen knew him before. Father Pietr deTroli was alwas a loyal, if not too bright servant of the morninglord, and had served his god for more than 50 years.

The boys knocks on the door. - Come in! - the old man answers.

Father Pietr is sitting behind a bug wooden table, filled with official papers and books. He looks tired.

Toliudar
2008-08-31, 09:43 AM
Jan

Ignoring the slight sense of panic he feels every time he's in this building, Jan hovers behind Jhaen in the doorway, thrilled for the moment that someone else has to do the thinking.

Yawielas
2008-08-31, 12:08 PM
Tanara pads in on silent paws, looking around curiusly. Sniffing the air towards the old priest, she sits down, staring at him without blinking.

Annalia
2008-08-31, 03:13 PM
Ceria

Once reassured that she would not need to stay part of a night in prison or somesuch, Ceria followed behind humming a calm tune. Her eyes drifted left and right, never staying on anything - a clear sign that she was lost in her mind again.

amanodel
2008-09-04, 03:12 PM
(Waiting for Truwar until tomorrow, since onlye he knows Jhaen's plan. If he's away, I'll get you into trouble come up with something.)

2008-09-04, 06:08 PM
Vorr tromps along with the party, still looking somewhat displeased at not having died after all.

Truwar
2008-09-04, 06:39 PM
As the enter the Father deTroli’s quarters, Jhaen smiles with genuine affection for the loyal old priest. Ahh, Father deTroli, thank you for agreeing to see us. We have been brought some rather troubling news. We were approached by a rather unsavory fellow on the street and he claimed the temple was holding a friend of his for a crime he did not commit. His testimony was very convincing and I felt it would be unfair of us, if we did not give this fellow a chance to prove his innocence under the influence of a holy zone of truth. Can we please prevail upon you to arrange this so we can insure that we are not persecuting an innocent?

Diplomacy: [roll0]

amanodel
2008-09-05, 02:37 AM
The old man looks up from his papers with a troubled look. - The wererat? They are untrustworthy, and we got report from the church of Helm, who watches everything, that it was commited by a group in contact with them, altough they couldn't name them exactly. And our paladin guards have seen devils and gnomes, and other things so we think they relied on illusions.

However, if you are certain about your statement, I will allow the inviestigation be held in such manners. Sign this here, please. - he gives an official paper to Jhaen about the procedure.

And whoever the ranger is in this party, don't let that panther wander off while you're in the church!

He summons a guard, who asks you to follow him to the prison.

Annalia
2008-09-05, 03:51 PM
Ceria

"Oh, don't worry, Tanara isn't a cat. We just had a bit of problem, but we'll get that fixed too." Ceria said simply, before resting a tiny hand on Tanara's back. She would have loved the study the panther thoroughly, but it'd have been a bit weird to do that to a friend.

Yawielas
2008-09-05, 04:19 PM
Tanara purrs, a deep rumbling sound starting deep in her chest.

Truwar
2008-09-08, 03:36 PM
Jhaen nods in thanks to the aged priest and follows the guard to the prison area.

Toliudar
2008-09-08, 04:49 PM
Jan

Of all the areas in the Lathanderite (Lathanderian? Lathanderish? He could never get these human adjectives straight) prison Jan was reluctant to enter, the prison had to be at the top of the list. Still, it seemed that it couldn't be helped, and he followed along, keeping close to Vorr.

amanodel
2008-09-10, 11:04 AM
The wererat is held in the basement, in a small prison, where the morninglrd's enemies are held. It is a creepy place, with strange voices coming from all around, definetely not of humanoid origin.

A middle-aged, stout priest runs the prison, and upon showing him your paper, he takes you to the wererat's cell. The wererat is tied up, and he is given a magical, glowing bracelet, probably to avoid him changing form and escaping.

You suggest zone of truth? - asks the prison guarding priest.

Truwar
2008-09-11, 12:52 PM
I actually suggest as many overlapping zone's of truth as we can manage. He may be able to resist one, or even two, but if we can expose him to several he will have almost no chance of resisting. Jhaen looks down at the wererat. He may not be the most innocent of beings, but if he is not innocent of the crime we are holding him for, it is not fair to hold him.

I have prepared a zone of truth spell, brother. Could you gather a few more priests who have prepared the spell as well? Once we have them cast, I can interrogate this fellow and determine if he had anything to do with the theft.

amanodel
2008-09-12, 06:58 AM
The guard summons a young servant, who goes, and looks for other priests.

Five minutes later three priests appear, and upon introducing themselves, they cast the recquired spell upon the wererat, who is now reqdz for the interrogation. Jhaen should cast his spell as well, since he is the most powerful priest down in the jails.

(Good thing for good-aligned priests, they can order lower priests and ask higher level superiors any spells to be cast at no price. Wizards or greedy clerics would surely demand a large amount of money for their services :) )

Truwar
2008-09-12, 08:55 AM
((Ah the perks of working for an altruistic religion :smallsmile:))

Jhaen casts his spell as well, then approaches the wererat prisoner and addresses it with a stern tone. You have been accused of a serious crime, theft from the temple of Lathander. You know that you are under the influence of a spell that will make it impossible for you to lie. If you try to avoid the question I am about to ask by evasiveness or half-truths we will have to assume you are in some way involved with the theft, if not directly responsible. If you answer directly and honestly, however, and are innocent of this theft, you will be allowed to go free. Do you understand?

Once the wererat has indicated that he understands, Jhaen goes on. Did you have any involvement in the theft of a holy relic from the temple of Lathander several nights ago?

amanodel
2008-09-13, 04:57 AM
"No."- the wererat answered: After several other questions and burocrate procedures, the were-rat was set free.

The lathander priest were not happy that their best suspect proved innocent, but they released him at the end.

After your visit at the church, some of the less brave priests made a petition, and hanged out a sign at the front entrance sating "Rangers and druids, please keep your pets at the door, by Lathander's grrace"

Fulfilling the were-rats task, you are ready to seek them out for any aid they can provide you regarding Tanara's current state. Were-rats are usually hard to find, but you know the places were they usually dwell, and you know some of them, and you find Twitchy Brokk, the halfling were-rat at a dark corner in the Copper Coronet.

Meanwhile Jan notices, that his vision is not functioning well, as if his now-vanished ring would start to work at will, and some objects turn invisible for the gnome. Sadly he noticed this when looking at a particulary hairy dwarf coming across, and when he blinked, the dwarf's clothes were gone. It took several blinkings that the robes re-appeared, but the shocking memory remains.

(Jansen receives a minor curse as well, his vision turning to x-ray at random times. Practically this means he's not really able to use his sight as a reliable input, giving him significant penalties at lockpicking, and search ( -10-ish ), but his spot checks are increased by the same value. )

Yawielas
2008-09-22, 03:36 PM
Hi, I just wanted to let you know I'll be away from Thursday to Sunday this week. Please NPC my character if needed. Not untill Thursday, though ;)

Toliudar
2008-09-22, 04:02 PM
Jan

Jan blinks furiously, even striking his forehead several times, as the group passes a group of dwarven warriors.

As they return to the Coronet, it's slightly distressing to see him walk into the door as if he didn't see it. He seems confused, but not overly upset by this.

Sorry. The, ah, turnip jam I used on my toast must have been from last year's batch. We had some trouble with explosions with that lot.

Now, back to work. Nicely done, back there, Jhaen, lad. Let's see what Twitchy has to say next, eh? Good thing the Coronet doesn't have a no pets policy.

He turns to stare at Tanara.

Erm. Not that I'm calling you a pet, you understand. Of course you do. Erm. Right then.

Reaching up and fumbling a bit for the doorknob, he leads the way inside.

Yawielas
2008-09-22, 05:04 PM
Tanara lets out a low pitched grumble directed at Jan.

Annalia
2008-09-22, 09:59 PM
Ceria

"Jan, how do you provoke explosions with turnips? Is there something in them that make turnips extra-bomby? Because I know there's something in brocoli that gives gases..." Ceria asked idly as she followed the gnome into the tavern - bumping into him when he bumped into the door.

amanodel
2008-09-24, 04:59 PM
Inside the coronet, you immediately notice a group of four wererats in humanoid form. A halfling, two humans, and a half-elf. A few weeks before you would simply think that they are just dirty peasants or perhaps ill-reputation thieves, but after meeting so much with tham, you can easily identify a wererat if you see one.

Truwar
2008-09-24, 05:05 PM
Does anyone else feel strange? First Tananra and her... situation and now Jan is bumping into doors. I feel like I am starting to see a disturbing trend... With that Jhaen goes back to turning the problem over in his mind, leaving the making of contact with theives and ruffians in Jan's much more capable hands.

Toliudar
2008-09-24, 05:48 PM
Jan

Jan's eyes glaze over, and then focus in on Jhaen.

Erm. Yes. Disturbing. Almost as disturbing as broccoli gases. I seem to be seeing...through things that are there. Hopefully, I won't start NOT seeing through things that AREN'T there, if you see what I mean. Or don't see, as the case may be. Oh dear.

He rubbed his eyes again and shook his head.

Ah, there they are.

Trundling carefully over to the four wererats, discreetly keeping a hand out low and in front of him in case he fails to see any furniture, Jan smiles cheerfully to the four wererats, and addresses the halfling.

Good news this afternoon, good news. I believe that our resident Morninglord was able to secure the release of your, ah, nestmate from the hold of the Lathandrians. Lathanderusians? Lathoi? Darn these human languages. Anyway, we're hoping that, in the interest of mutual back-scratching, you'll now be able to help us with the puzzling felinization of our delightful companion. Don't get me wrong. I'm sure that four legs good, two legs bad, all that, but I just know that she'd appreciate having a modicum of choice in the matter. I'm sure that you understand. So, what do you say?

amanodel
2008-09-25, 02:41 PM
The halfling rat stands up and circles around Tanara, sniffling constantly.

Hmprf. Not natural. - he says, altough you can't imagine if there is a natural way to become a wererat, for example.
I will fetch the with doctor for you. Might be a few days, he's very busy these days. And Twitch has gathered some info for you. - he holds out his palm, and after Rache places a few gold places into the dirty hand, the rat continues - The shadow thieves are up to sumthin'. The monks of Helm are making their pilgrimage with the swordhilt of Helm, and in a couple of days, the will reach Athkatla. But now, if you excuse, we have to get some drink from our hardly earned money.

With that said, they get up, and walk to the bar, leaving you at the tables, on your own.

amanodel
2008-10-01, 01:49 PM
You leave the Coronet, and later in the day, you find out, that the Monks of Helm are indeed headed to Athkatla, and they are carrying a holy relic of theirs. Helm, being the god of law, has a moderatley strong clergy in Athkatla. The relic itself, qualifies for a relic of law, and it should be good for a spell component for the Sunlord. However, since the shadow thieves are operating in thes case, it is likely that they will set up an ambush somewhere in town to lay their sticky hands on the relic.

(Anybody out there?)

Yawielas
2008-10-01, 01:56 PM
(I'm here, but it's a bit limited what I can do at the moment.)

Tanara starts sniffing around for something to eat. Preferably something raw and bloody.

Toliudar
2008-10-01, 02:38 PM
Jan

Jan tries to ignore Tanara's current activity, and turns to his other companions.

We need that holy whassis, the one the Helmites have. I say we head out on the east road and try to intercept them before they even get to town and the thieves. I know it means leaving Tanara as she is until we get back, but...well, who knows how long this doctor will be anyway?

Truwar
2008-10-01, 04:44 PM
Jhaen

If we hurry we might be able to warn the Helmites of the impending attack upon them and explain our situation. I am sure the sentinel God would want to head off an incursion of evil into Athkatla. If we have to wait a couple of days before the doctor makes their self available I think we should bring Tanara with us. I am loathe to leave anyone behind and at the mercy of our foes and she isn’t exactly helpless in her current form...

Annalia
2008-10-01, 05:18 PM
Ceria

"Sure, we can go." Ceria said somewhat distractedly as she watched Tanara. "Jhaen is most likely right - we might be back before the rat man doctor comes. Besides, it'll be nice to be out of the Cowled Wizards' reach for a moment."

amanodel
2008-10-02, 02:16 PM
Rache, Erissa and Vorr had to leave, for Rache's hand itching become more and more serious, as if the curse affected him this way. Erissa and Vorr took him to a healer, leaving you on your own for now.

If you leave tonight, you estimate you can catch the helmites a good couple miles away from the city.

(Seems the guys are away, so until they get back, we continue without them.)

Truwar
2008-10-06, 10:49 AM
Jhaen nods to the others. Lets not waste any time then. If the Helmites are in danger we need to hurry if we are to warn them. Maybe even more important, if that artifact falls into the hands of our enemies all of Athkatla will be in danger. If we hurry back to our residence and grab our equipment, hopefully we can get there in time warn them.

Annalia
2008-10-06, 12:30 PM
Ceria

The distracted half-elf nodded at Jhaen's declaration. "No reason to wait." She stated, immediately heading off. She wasn't moving particularly fast, giving half of her attention to the small lizard in her pouch, but at least she'd began moving.

Toliudar
2008-10-06, 02:11 PM
Jan

Right. We should be able to borrow some horses -

He glances up at Jhaen. His voice is slightly sullen as he looks down.

- or buy, I suppose. At the city gates. If I'm going to be outpacing Shadow Thieves, then I'd like to do it on someone else's legs.

amanodel
2008-10-10, 11:43 AM
Jan, of course, knows a guy, who knows a guy who runs a stable, so after a dozen minutes of haggling you can get horses for the three of you. Tanara, in her current form could keep up with the horses easily. Merchants, and peasnats, who you met in the road, were usually panicked by the large feline predator, and kept a good distance between tour group and themselves. Tanara herself enjoyed running in the farmlands, and aside from a constant urge to eat some of the horses, she was doing fine.

A couple hours later, you came across a farming village, and from a hilltop, you could see that the Helmites are in the village, and giving Helm's blessings to the farmers. No sign of the shadow thieves or Sharites until now.

Toliudar
2008-10-11, 09:54 AM
Jan

As they approached the Helmite group, Jan settles his goggles over his upper face, and draws a scarf up over his mouth. He turns a bit nervously to Jhaen and Ceria.

Erm. You wouldn't mind sort of, erm. Doing the talking, right? I'm sure it wasn't this particular group, but I did have a rather unfortunate meeting with some Helmites south of here, a few years back. Something about the turnips ripening a bit too soon, releasing a demon lord, something along those lines. All a misunderstanding, really, but it'd take a while to clear up. I'm sure you understand.

It's possible to see a weak smile form under the scarf.

Yawielas
2008-10-11, 10:01 AM
Tanara pads through the farmland, and sniffs eagerly in the air when they close in on the village. She sneaks closer, hunting for a plump chicken, or a tasty piece of lamb.

Annalia
2008-10-11, 10:06 AM
Ceria

"Oooh, I've never been asked to do the talking. Sometimes, people seem to think it's a bad idea." Ceria remarked with a smile.

"But I'm sure Jhaen and I can do this." Without further ado, Ceria walked straight towards the Helmites. While at first she also looked at them, her attention quickly shifted to something else, then another thing. Soon, she looked much more like an idle stroller than someone determined to make contact.

amanodel
2008-10-12, 12:46 PM
You approach the village centre, where the celebration is held. Tanara did cause some disturbance to househeld animals, and the dogs were barking at you nearly all the time.

The celebration is coming to an end, and you can still not spot any thieves, altough some of the peasants look a little suspicious.

Annalia
2008-10-13, 09:25 AM
Ceria

It took quite some time for the wizardess to reach the helmites, so absorbed was she in the various entertainment - including Tanara and the barking dogs - around. When finally she got there, however, she tapped one of the helmites' shoulder. "Excuse me, sir? I'm supposed to be doing talking with you."

amanodel
2008-10-13, 02:43 PM
The helmitan monk turned to Annalia with a strange face, as if he were talking to someone mentally disased. Finally, he put up a normal expression, and asked Ceria.

And what are we supposed to talk about, if I may ask, my child?

Truwar
2008-10-13, 02:45 PM
Jhaen

Jhaen smiles in a friendly fashion at the Helmite that Ceria had just used as a doorknocker. What my eccentric friend meant to say was that we have a message of dire importance for the senior priest of your expedition.

Toliudar
2008-10-14, 08:58 PM
Jan

Hanging back with Tanara, Jan struggles to remain within earshot without risking being, you know, shot in the ear.

amanodel
2008-10-16, 02:42 PM
The monk immediately reckognized the priest in Jhaen, and after a small bow, he went off to fetch the leader of the voyage.

Jhaen can see that these people are not priests, they are almost totally monks. The senior monk, however, is a cleric as well, altough his clerical powers are weaker than Jhaen's. Of course, only Jhaen can feel these holy powers.

The leader of the group is a little, old man, with absurdly long, white beard.

He greets Jhaen with a deep bow, and asks: "In what can I be at your assistance, sir?"

Truwar
2008-10-16, 05:32 PM
Jhaen whispers urgently to the priest. I wish I was the bearer of good news, brother, but I fear I have come to warn you that you are in danger of attack from a mad splinter group of the Shadow Thieves. They seek the artifact you bear as a means to unleash destruction on Athkatla in the name of their mistress, Shar. We have been informed that they plan on ambushing your party.

amanodel
2008-10-19, 08:42 AM
Thanks for the warning brother, but I'm quite sure we can handle any attempts. We are able hand-tohand fighter, trained under the disciplines of the Ever-Watching Helm. - answers the leader.

That moment, a huge explosion shook the ground directly in the center of the town, followed by many, smaller explosions. Ceria could identyfy the first, and largest one being a fireball spell, altough she couldn't spot the caster. The following ones were probably explosive materials previously placed to the square, and triggered by the fireball.

The hot, burning air blows to your face with it's deadly wind, but luckily you were far enough from the center not to suffer serious injuries. Your ears, and eyes hurt like hell, though. Those, at the center were not so lucky, and you can only see several dead, or burning, screaming man there. The artifact was located in the middle, and it's guardians are either dead, or panicking, trying to extenguish the fire burning their bodies. You guess there were at least twenty peasants also caught in the explosion.

The leader of the expedition, and a few other Helmites, standing around you survived the explosion, and the ones with some clerical training, are now trying to heal their companion. In the middel of the dust and flames, you spot a group of hooded figures, marching into to fire, towards the artifact.

(combat is still mostly freeform, please bear with me)

Annalia
2008-10-19, 10:20 AM
Ceria

Seeing the hooded men approach the artifact, Ceria huffed indignantly and declared "Oh no you don't!" She grabbed Jhaen and the Helmite leader - figuring Tanara could run fast enough to get there by herself and that Jan would prefer a certain distance - and the half-elf began chanting.

A few seconds later, the three of them stood next to the artifact, in the Shadow Thieves' path.

((Dimension Door!))

Yawielas
2008-10-19, 11:18 AM
Tanara goes into a crouch at the sound of the explosion, and looks towards the sound's origin. She snarls, seeing the dead and burning men, and the Shadow Thieves marching in. In long, powerful leaps she darts towards the enemy, jumping on the back of the last one with a growl.

Toliudar
2008-10-20, 06:58 AM
Jan

Clearly, this priest has never studied the laws of dramatic imperative. That's tantamount to saying "Well, it can't get any worse."

Let's see how we might help, now...Let's start by making sure I'm not the focus of more shadow-thief nastiness.

Jan casts a spell to mask himself from view and moves not QUITE directly towards the conflict. He scans the area for the source of that unfortunate ball of flames.

Casting invisibility and moving about 20'. Just as a thought: using spellcraft [roll0] or spot [roll1] to try to determine where the blast came from.

Truwar
2008-10-20, 11:40 AM
His focus unfazed by having been teleported, Jhaen immediately begins summoning the aid of the Dawn Apes in their fight against the hated minions of Shar.

Jhaen cast monster summoning IV to summon [roll0] Augmented Celestial Apes.

Dawn Apes (Augmented Celestial Apes)
Size/Type:Large Animal
Hit Dice:4d8+19 (37 hp)
Initiative:+2
Speed:30 ft. (6 squares), climb 30 ft.
Armor Class:
14 (-1 size, +2 Dex, +3 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple:+3/+14
Attack:Claws +9 melee (1d6+7)
Full Attack:2 claws +9 melee (1d6+7) and bite +4 melee (1d6+3)
Space/Reach:10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks:Smite Evil for +4 Dmg
Special Qualities:Low-light vision, scent, Darkvision 60ft, Resist Acid, Cold, Electricty 5, Spell Resistence 9, Damage Reduction 5/magic
Saves:Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +2
Abilities:Str 25, Dex 15, Con 18, Int 3, Wis 12, Cha 7
Skills:Climb +16, Listen +6, Spot +6
Feats:Alertness, Toughness

amanodel
2008-10-20, 02:19 PM
Jan uses all his knowledge about explosions to determine where the fireball came from, but the resulting direction points to a small group of panicked farmers. Altough it is possible that the wizard is somewhere in the crowd.

Tanara manages to run through the still burning fire without catching fire herself, and a roar, followed by a scream shows that she reached her opponent. It is strange for her to fight in this form, but she manages well enough, for she had panther-like dexterity even before the transformation. The attacked thief tries to stab Tanara, but he misses her badly.

Ceria, Jhaen, and the elder monk step through the dimension door, and Aikiko, the dawn ape of justice heeds Jhaen's call, and appears just in front of the thieves' group, mauling the first one in the line.

You notice other masked figures appearing in the dust, you count at least six of them, altough two of them are right now occupied with Tanara and Aikiko.

Truwar
2008-10-20, 03:19 PM
Jhaen calls upon Lathander to aid him in his struggle against the forces of Shar. Drawing in torrents of divine power. With purple energy crackling in his eyes and along his full plate armor, Jhaen moves purposefully towards the minions of Shar.

Jhaen casts divine power and moves toward the enemy.

Toliudar
2008-10-23, 10:13 AM
Jan Jansen

The now-invisible gnome casts another spell, and darts sideways for a better view of the battle.

Appearing out of the dirt and smoke of the fire, a massive pebble-skinned humanoid figure with a slash of a mouth and club-like arms rises and strides towards the knot of terrified farmers that originated the blast. An earth elemental! And a big one - more than 15' tall, and half-striding, half-swimming through the earth towards the group of farmers. It rumbles very loudly in draconic:

Shadowy one! Your pathetic magics are no match for me! Surrender or be crushed beneath the granite fists of Tiax the Terrible!

Why, oh, why don't I use illusions more often! They're too much fun.

Casting Major Image to create the earth elemental rising out of the ground, somewhere between where the fireball struck and where it came from. The further away from Jan, the better. And then taking a move image to leave the area where he just cast the spell, and to maintain a good view of what he's doing.

amanodel
2008-10-24, 08:55 AM
Jan's elemental caused even greater panick, and as the pesants were pushing each other aside to save themselves, they knocked the disguised wizard off, and Jan could spot the various caster equipments and magical items under the farmer coat.

Jhaen closes on the thieves, who chose not to fight the priest hand-to-hand. They turn back slowly. Froé another direction, several arrows fly towards Jhaen, but they deflec from the priest's armor.

Annalia
2008-10-24, 11:56 AM
Ceria

At the first flight of arrows, Ceria whirled to face the shooters' direction and began chanting. Her arms described large ovoid circles as she prompted a force to rise up before them, and indeed the wind seemed to pick up. As she chanted the last word of her spell, a wall of strong wind had formed between them and the arrows' source. "I hate it when people don't play fair." She muttered.

Yawielas
2008-10-24, 12:09 PM
Tanara keeps mauling her prey.

Truwar
2008-10-24, 01:31 PM
Jhaen charges the retreating rogues, unleashing the wrath of Lathander upon them.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Toliudar
2008-10-24, 02:17 PM
Jan

The massive elemental moves quickly up adjacent to the wizard in farmer's clothing. It lifts a massive, menacing fist.

Tiax is merciful as well as mighty! Drop your spell pouch, put your hands on your head, and walk over here with me, and I will not smite you.

amanodel
2008-10-26, 10:00 AM
Ceria's spell successfull ywards off the missiles, and after a few moments of hesitation, the ambushers throw away their bows, and drawing short swords and knives, they close on you.

The wizard, being attacked by Jan's elemental, panicks, and casts an invisibility spell, and vanishes from sight.

Tanara breaks the neck o her prey with a powerful bite, and the thief falls back dead. Another thief, who came to assist his friend managed to bury his knife deep into Tanara's shoulder, But the panther's counter-attack was even more painful, tearing off the flesh from the man's left leg almost completely with a single, almighty attack.

Jhaen smashes the head of another thief with a sounding smite, killing the man at once.

You could dispose the common thieves rather quickly, and you can get near to the artifact. Just before you would think that you have won the battle, a visible, black could starts to appear around the dead monsk, and enchants them. Thez stnad up, radiating darkness changing, into some terrible being. The rest of the monks, with the lead of the senior monk, try to do something, but the risen undead monks are too powerful to combat, and they make a quick job of killing nearly all the monks. They are animated by the Cruel mistress of shadows, Shar herself.

Annalia
2008-10-26, 10:53 AM
Ceria

"Sweet Lady of the Winds, those are ugly!" Ceria exclaimed as the twisted monks rose from the ground. Before anyone got in the way, she stepped forward, snapped two arcane words and shouted loudly. Her voice transformed into something shrill and piercing, damaging those in front of her.

That's a shout, as usual. DC is still 20 for Ref and Fortitude. Rolling it to give you an idea of how powerful, although I doubt I can deafen those things.
[roll0]
[roll1]

Toliudar
2008-10-26, 11:55 AM
Jan has the elemental roar in frustration when the wizard disappears.

When the undead monks rise, Jan has the elemental lumber over to them. It punches the ground, and a second similar elemental rises up from the same place. The two massive elementals move behind the monks, relative to Tanara, Jhaen and the others. The first elemental bellows out

Tiax The Mighty will crush these toys of Shar! None shall stand!

Truwar
2008-10-27, 01:03 PM
Filled with the divine essence of Lathander, Jhaen finds the undead mockeries of the faithful priests of Helm even more outrageous. Holding his holy symbol high, he calls to the Dawn Lord to erase these abominations from the face of Toril.

Turn Undead using greater turning Sun Domain ability (all turned undead are destroyed instead of turned.).

Turn Attempt : [roll0]
Turn Damage (hit dice destroyed): [roll1]

(Included the turn table, just in case you do not have access)
Table: Turning Undead
Turning Check
Result Most Powerful Undead Affected
(Maximum Hit Dice)
0 or lower Cleric’s level -4
1—3 Cleric’s level -3
4—6 Cleric’s level -2
7—9 Cleric’s level -1
10—12 Cleric’s level
13—15 Cleric’s level +1
16—18 Cleric’s level +2
19—21 Cleric’s level +3
22+ Cleric’s level +4

amanodel
2008-11-01, 12:14 PM
Jhaen's attempt to get rid of the undead fails, but Ceria's spell shattered some bones for sure.

You can grab the artifact if you'd want to. The undead are advancing upon your group, and Tanara does her best to keep them at bay.

Jan's illusions made the scene even more disturbing, and every living man ran away from the scene of magical whirlwind. Only you, and the undead minions remain.

Toliudar
2008-11-03, 07:40 AM
Trusting the others to hold off the undead, especially with the distraction of the two elementals, Jan darts forward invisibly to snatch up the fallen Helmite artifact.

Truwar
2008-11-03, 12:25 PM
Jhaen raises his holy symbol again and unleashes a beam of golden light at the leading shadow.

Searing Light Touch Attack [roll0]
Searing Light Damage [roll1]

Annalia
2008-11-03, 12:57 PM
Ceria

Ceria immediately followed up with another spell, this one unleashing four bolts of force at the incoming undead.

Magic Missile here!
[roll0]

amanodel
2008-11-03, 03:29 PM
Jan secures the artifact, unseen in the utter chaos. A dark mist gathers at where once the center of the village was, the visible proof that Shar herself is interested in this fight, aiding her minions.

Ceria casts her spell, damaging some of the undead, but they are not slowed down. They seem to be more tough than any other undead you've met until now. They advance upon the wizardess, and jumping upon her, they start to bite her, as if they wanted to eat her alive. Tanara is overwhelmed with the fast, strong undead warriors, and she is loosing her battle.

But just then, Jhaen's spell nearly explodes from the force, as he received extra support from his deity for this spell. Jhaen never felt so much energy going through him before, and the kickback of the spell literally throws him back to the ground. The light blinds everyone around, and after a moment of silence, like in the eye of the storm, a powerful magical explosion throws you back, and you lose consciousness.

Jhaen, as if hallucinating, sees Lathander himself engaging in battle with Shar, then even he closes his eyes, and falls asleep.

You wake up in a dark chamber again, which you reckognize instantly. This is the cave you were before in your dream. The dark being that killed you is gone, only the chained old man remains, but he is dead, torn apart from the inside.

(Are you okay with switching to this storytelling mode? It helps me to keep the game running. If yes, then feel free to take greater control of the world in the future, with obvious NPC reactions and such. If not, I will come up with some solution to make it more DND again.)

Yawielas
2008-11-03, 03:50 PM
(I'm fine with the storytelling mode :) Is Tanara still feline?)

amanodel
2008-11-03, 04:49 PM
Tanara is surprised that she is returned to her elf form!

Yawielas
2008-11-03, 06:08 PM
Tanara blinks a few times, surprised at the sudden change of scenery. Then she realises she's got hands again, and quickly looks around for the others, smiling in spite of the grim surroundings. "I had a really strange dream!"

Truwar
2008-11-04, 09:44 AM
Err, I actually think you are having the dream right now. Jhaen looks around the cavern-like area aprehensively. At least I hope so...

((Do you mind if I use D&D as a framework for my RP? Just to give me a frame of reference?))

Annalia
2008-11-04, 03:18 PM
Ceria

"So we're all having the same dream again? That's weird."

Toliudar
2008-11-04, 03:34 PM
Jan nods as he scrambles to his feet.

Really weird. Reminds me of the time that someone spiked the turnip pie at our solstice celebrations with a mild mushroom concoction. All I can say is that I no longer wonder how centaurs and satyrs happen.

He stares solemnly at the dead old man.

I wonder who that poor guy was? Since this all seems to be tied into some kind of fight among the shadow-realms, maybe he was on one side or the other.

Absent-mindedly, Jan fumbles in his pack for the last thing he put there, the Helmite artifact. He wanted to get a better look at it, now that they weren't being distracted by voracious undead and duelling deities.

amanodel
2008-11-04, 05:41 PM
Jan checks the artifact. It's a hilt of a longswod. It is simple yet masterfully crafted, but nothing shows visibly that it is an artifact of Helm.

You notice a dark passageway, leading from this cavern to another. Altough this time Vorr is not with you, you can still estimate your location on your own right. Deep, and dark.

This cave, you can only see the old man ripped apart, and the chains that were once holding him, but maybe the other chamber will be more interesting.

(Sure, you can use a dnd frame. It's still very useful as a guideline.)

Yawielas
2008-11-04, 05:49 PM
Tanara looks at her hands and feet, and twirls around, once, obviously happy to be an elf again. She peers into the dark, ready to deal with the here and now inn stead of dwelling on visions or dreams. "Well, maybe we can get out that way, then."

Toliudar
2008-11-04, 06:24 PM
Jan grins up at the elf warrior.

Good to have you back! I missed being able to read your facial expressions.

He holds up the sword hilt before tucking it away inside his armour.

Weird, huh? All this trouble over a busted handle. Ah well. Maybe the sword's really pretty.

Jan looks over at Jhaen.

Hey, Jhaen. You Lathandrians can talk with the dead, right? You want to see if maybe this guy can tell us what he's doing here?

He nods in the direction of the dead guy.

Annalia
2008-11-04, 09:50 PM
Ceria

"Or maybe the sword can be called up!" Ceria said. "It'd be really handy and easier to hide, although I don't know many Helmites who'd want to hide their weapon."

Toliudar
2008-11-05, 01:05 PM
Jan

Shrugging while he waits for Jhaen to consider his question, Jan pulls out the sword handle again, and tries to will a sword to come out of it.

amanodel
2008-11-10, 04:32 PM
Jan doesn't succed in provoking any magical effect from the sword hilt.

Jhaen tries to use his magic to find any clues, but here, where the sun didn't shine in millenias, the strenght of the Morninglord is diminished, and he doesn't succeed.

Tanara ventures into the next cave. There is a small ruin of a house or two next to a huge chasm. The small stone houses were once probably tax offices or tradeposts, but it's hard to tell it from the ruins. You can see pillars of a stone bridge, but you can't see the bridge itself.

On the first pillar of the bridge, on this side of the chasm, there are ancients runes carved into the stone.

Truwar
2008-11-10, 05:11 PM
Jhaen shakes his head gravely after attempting to divine any answers from this strange place. Wherever this place is, it seems to be blocking me from the guidance of the Morninglord. I think we can safely assume from this that we are in very hostile territory...

Toliudar
2008-11-10, 07:38 PM
Jan

Jan quickly clamps his lips together, and simply nods. Tucking the sword hilt away, he trots off after Tanara. He calls out softly to Tanara quietly.

Coming in behind you, Tanara. Any chance there's, uh, an invisible bridge there?

Making a mental note to check the ruins more thoroughly, Jan starts his examination with the runes on the pillars.

Decipher script: [roll0],; Jan speaks gnome, draconic & elven.

Annalia
2008-11-11, 12:31 AM
Ceria

"Runes!" Ceria said in a squealing voice, which no doubts echoes loudly in the cave. She didn't lose a moment bending over them, trying to get a good look to read. As soon as she had the slightest clue of what they could mean, or in what language, she took out a large tome and began scanning through the page. This one was entitled Lost Languages of Faerun, and she was very proud of its content.

Gods, been a long time since I last named a book! :smallbiggrin:
Trained Decipher Script: [roll0]

Ceria can speak Common, Elven, Draconic, Chondathan, Shaaran and Auran. Yeah... I am missing the local language, I believe.

EDIT: And of course RollofAwesome had to be 2. -sigh!-

Truwar
2008-11-11, 10:41 AM
Bereft of guidance from Lathander, Jhaen falls back on the education he received growing up in the religious community of New Dawning.

Knowledge:Planes [roll0]
Knowledge: Religion [roll1]

amanodel
2008-11-18, 03:11 AM
(Owning a book has it's bonuses, I believe. It would make sense that you can even take 20 in a knowledge check if you have the right book at hand.)

Ceria had some troubles finding any relevant articles in her book for a while, but Jhaen was more lucky. He realized that a few words on the pillar are written in celestial, the language of the gods. From those he could figure out that the runes are for an evocation. Perhaps the celestial words are present for disallowing evil creatures to say the whole sentence out, Jhaen suspects.

With this help, Ceria can figure out the rest, written in Southern Netherese dialect.

"By the grace of the Sun Lord, faith in the Evershining Sun shall guide my steps over the Bridge That Casts No Shadow"

Ceria is so Happy with finally finding out what the runes mean, that the sentence slips out of her mouth. As she finishes it, an earthquake shakes the cave, knocking you to the ground. As it settes, you see, that an almost translucent, dimly shining form starts to appear at the pillar. Soon, it turns out to be the bridge, altough it didn't get any more solid. The translucent bridge shines in a dim golden colour in the otherwise pitch black cave. You are probably amazed by the beauty and glory of the bridge.

Toliudar
2008-11-18, 11:18 AM
Jan

Jan unfurrows his brow as Ceria and Jhaen work out the details of the bridge. And then refurrows it as she completes the summoning of some kind.

Oh dear. Oh DEAR! Aahhh! It's a cave in!

He is about to dash back towards the other cavern, when the rumbling subsides and the glowing bridge takes form.

My goodness. Perhaps, in this case, literally. That's quite a trick. Er. Wow.

He glances up at the others.

I suspect that we'll be wanting to check for the solidity of the lovely but potentially ephemeral bridge. But before we do that, I'd like to take a quick look around the buildings here. Shouldn't take but a moment.

Jan dashes into the first of the ruined stone houses and begins to conduct a thorough search.

Mostly, he's looking for clues as to what this place is, what race used these houses, how old it is, etc etc. But, you know, coin and magic and stuff are always welcome too. Search modifier is +17.

Yawielas
2008-11-18, 11:46 AM
"I can check it," Tanara smiles, and walks onto the ethereal bridge.

Truwar
2008-11-18, 04:23 PM
Jhaen

Jhaen gasps as Tanara blithely steps out onto a bridge that could be every bit as substantial as one of Jan’s theories on the healthful benefits of turnip elixirs. His wildly racing mind therefore decides the best thing to do in this situation would be to rush out onto the bridge with her, to save her from walking out onto…

By the time the more rational part of his mind, the part that usually never fails him, kicks into gear he is already rushing out onto the bridge with Tanara, readying to urgently explain to her how dangerous it is to rush out onto the bridge.

Annalia
2008-11-18, 05:15 PM
((Wow, way to go, that was perfect Ceria-anticipation! :smallbiggrin:))

Ceria

"Ooooh! That is such a nice colour!" Ceria declared. She slammed her book shut, shoved it down in her pack and ran after Jhaen and Tanara, happily following them on a bridge she was quite certain would be solid. She knew she had said the words right.

Toliudar
2008-11-19, 12:43 AM
Seeing the other three rush across what might be, for all they knew, an illusion partway along, Jan shook his head and muttered to himself.

Reminds me of uncle Otho playing Orcish Roulette with potions. These three would fit right in at a family gathering.

amanodel
2008-11-19, 06:43 AM
Tanara steps on the bridge, followed by a rushing Jhaen and a curious Ceria. The inmaterial bridge proves to be solid enough, and no one falls down into the deep darkness.

Meanwhile Jhaen quickly searches through the ruins, but the only thing he finds is a shattered amulet, which once depicted a sun, star or something similar, it's really hard to tell.

Toliudar
2008-11-19, 05:25 PM
Scurrying after the others, Jan clutches the broken amulet and hurries to keep pace, lest the apparently-solid bridge disappear before he got there.

Annalia
2008-11-20, 01:05 AM
Ceria

Ceria just walked on, her eyes set on the shiny bridge under her feet, visibly in awe before the glorious power of ancient magic.

Truwar
2008-11-24, 04:03 PM
Jhaen continues across the bridge, keeping a sharp eye out for danger. Although this bridge of light was a welcome respite from the shadow surrounding them, he still did not trust this realm of darkness.

Yawielas
2008-11-24, 04:05 PM
Tanara smiles at Jhaen. "Don't worry. It's fine. It's a beautiful bridge."

amanodel
2008-11-25, 03:57 PM
The bridge is suprrisingly long, but you manage to cross it safely. At the other side of the chasm, you find another cave, but before you could look around, another earthquake shakes the ground, and this time it's for real, and a cave-in collapses on you, and you can only remember fading into a cold, neverending darkness.

You regain consciousness in a poor, but warm hut, with peasants looking at you. An old man, with long white beard is looking at you with interest, as if he was surprised that you opened your eyes.

Tanara is in her panther form yet again. Perhaps it was only another accursed, strange dream?

Toliudar
2008-11-25, 05:40 PM
Jan

Jan awakens, looks around, and begins to wonder if he is in fact simply a butterfly dreaming that he's a gnome. Hastily, he reaches into the inside pocket to see if the sword hilt is there.

Annalia
2008-11-25, 10:07 PM
Ceria

When she realises they've returned to 'reality' again, Ceria lets out a sigh of disappoitment. The old man caught her interest, however: she'd learned that often the elderly knew more and were wiser than their younger counterparts. Surely, he'd answer her terribly bothering and existencial question: "Where are we?"

amanodel
2008-11-27, 06:02 PM
Jan finds the sword hilt where he left it. He also finds a burnt wound on his palm, which reminds him the amulet he saw in the dream. Jan checks, but the amulet is not in his posession.

You're in Moletown, in the inn. We found you after the big explosion nearly destroyed all of the town. We could take you out just in time, the fire was spreading quickly, and you were unconscious. Some of you have small burnt wounds, but we did everything we could to heal you. I'm only a simple druid, and the villagers sent for me after the attack. You were unconscious for quite a long time, I'd advise to be careful for a while. - explains the old man.

Who is the ranger? We found a big panther near you, and we believed it's your pet. - he asks, gesturing towards Tanara, who is collared and her lash is attached to a massive wardrobe.

Yawielas
2008-11-27, 06:20 PM
Tanara growls and stands up, tugging at the leash, trying to chew it off.

Toliudar
2008-11-27, 11:51 PM
Jan

Jan experimentally rises, and confirms that all of the usual bits still work. He smiles at the Moletowner's description of Tanara, and goes over to her.

Well, I'm guessing you could say that she belongs to him -

He glances over at Jhaen.

But it'll take quite some time yet for either of them to realize that. She'll be fine if she's released - I promise.

He begins to untie Tanara's lead.

So, sorry about the carnage. Any word on what actually caused that explosion?

amanodel
2008-11-28, 12:20 PM
No, we're clueless - says the druid - All we know that there were the helmites celebrating, and than some magicians wreacked havoc. But it was two days ago, the farmers buried the dead, and cleaned up the mess already, hopefully we can go on. Two days, we were started to think you won't wake up at all. A few inspectors came with the soldiers who were sent to secure the place. They seemed eager to speak with you, but they left when it became obvious that you wouldn't wake up.

The townsfolk watches carefully when Jan releases Tanara, and they take a step backwards.

Annalia
2008-11-28, 02:06 PM
Ceria

"Oh, no need to be scared. Tanara doesn't bite. Well, she won't bite you, at any rate!" Ceria said. "It's a shame we just lost two days. There's so much we could've done in that time!"

Truwar
2008-12-02, 01:22 PM
Jhaen manages to stagger to his feet, still somewhat disoriented by their experiences. With Jan seeing to Tanara’s release, Jhaen focuses on the other matter at hand. You said there were wounded? I am willing to help you in any way I can.

Yawielas
2008-12-02, 01:45 PM
Once Tanara's free of the leash, she starts pacing back and forth, growing frustrated with all this dreaming and changing. A low growl escapes from her chest, and she looks from the villagers to Jhaen.

Toliudar
2008-12-04, 10:37 AM
Jan

Jan looks up at Jhaen.

Or, we could just leave these nice people to rebuild their lives, and we can stop troubling them. I believe that we do have rather pressing matters in Athkatla.

Truwar
2008-12-08, 11:40 AM
Jhaen

If there are people here that will perish because I could have saved them and did not, no heroic deeds I could do at a later date would be able to expunge the stain on my soul. I am not planning on bandaging sprained ankles, but I won't leave if I can help anyone whose life may be in danger.

Toliudar
2008-12-08, 12:25 PM
Jan

If Jan had invented a watch, he'd be looking at it right now. As a matter of fact, he feels a strong desire to head home and invent some sort of time-passing-marked-onto-your-wrist animated tattoo, just so that he'd have an excuse to look at it right now.

He shrugs.

Suit yourself, of course, Jhaen. I'd hate to have to have you have to try to do any soul-expunging later. Especially if I'm in the same room as you do so. I once watched my father give my great aunt Tilly a Soul SpongeTM treatment, and it's not an experience I'd care to repeat. Cleared the rash right up, mind you.

So, I'll just go out and find us some lunch, okay?

He goes out to do just that.

To be clear, Toliudar is happy to have Jhaen spend as much time here as he wants. It just seemed like a fun bastardy moment for Jan.

amanodel
2008-12-08, 03:50 PM
Hopefully the farmers were wise to run away quickly. The monks of Helm, on the other hand, are all dead. - explains the old druid. As you start to recover, the druid, and some townsfolk accompny you out of the hut, and show you the graveyard where they buried the fallen after the battle.

The officers wanted to examine the corpses, but they shouldn't be disturbed, they deserve their rest.

Jan has troubles finding lunch, but he's resourceful, so he'll manage.

Annalia
2008-12-08, 05:34 PM
Ceria

"Last time we bothered someone dead didn't turn out so good. We did get something out of it, but I don't think it's necessary to try again." Ceria commented idly as they stood in front of the graves. "I'm sure they'll understand."

Truwar
2008-12-10, 05:08 PM
Jhaen

Jhaen nods at the druid's explanation of events. If nobody is in dire need of my abilities, I agree with Jan that we should proceed back to the city with haste. The faster we get back, the faster we can collect on the debt we are owed and get Tanara back to her proper form.

Toliudar
2008-12-10, 06:13 PM
Jan

Jan returns with an armload of turnips in time to hear Jhaen's last sentence.

Quite! And hey, look, dinner for tonight. Some of these had been thrown out, but you can scrape the mould off the top and the rest of the turnip is good eating! I'll make my patented Incendiary Turnip Gazpatcho tonight when we camp.

Are we off, then?

amanodel
2009-01-06, 05:44 AM
Sorry for the lack of posting from my part. I was at home for the time, and didn't really have internet. If you're still aropund, I'd be happy to continue.

:smallredface:

Toliudar
2009-01-06, 10:12 AM
Hi Amanodel! I hope you had some great holidays - are you back in Paris now?

I'm here, and good to continue.

Truwar
2009-01-06, 10:36 AM
I am still here. :smallsmile:

Yawielas
2009-01-06, 11:12 AM
Still here :)

amanodel
2009-01-06, 06:14 PM
After the mission you return to Athkatla with haste. Altough you cannot prevent the massacre, you managed to get the relic of Helm before the forces of evil did.

Nothing really changed in Athkatla while you were away, altough it's hard not to notice that the Copper Coronet suffered some heavy damage; later you are told that there was some serious fighting between wererats and guild thieves, and even the cowled wizards showed up.

As you look up in the calender, the deadline for the item collecting is running out, but you have the majority of the items secured by now already.

Toliudar
2009-01-06, 07:02 PM
Um, I can't speak for the others, but I'd need a little prompting as to what we're still missing. Virgin blood, I remember, but other than that?

amanodel
2009-01-08, 01:37 PM
Quest update

5 days remaining until the next new moon. (travelling and being in coma takes a lot of days)

Quest items acquired (they are held at Jansen's house in a very safe room):
Rogue Stone
Diamond, Fire Opal
Heart in frost box
Skull of Varage'lo
Eagle feathers
Relic of Sun (from Jhaen's temple)
Relic of Hope (from Ilmater's temple)
Major magic item: the Sharite dagger
Relic of Law (from the monks of Helm)

Quest items missing:
King's Tear (a rare gemstone)
Virgin's blood

Annalia
2009-01-08, 04:35 PM
(Huh, a bit late compared to others, but still here too. So, we need to find the two others. If nothing comes up, maybe we could start looking over the cities' jewelries. Oh, and Tanara's still a panther, right? Didn't the wererats have a shaman that could fix that?)

Yawielas
2009-01-08, 06:21 PM
(Actually, Tanara's got the virgin blood....Inside her body.)

Annalia
2009-01-08, 11:38 PM
(Aw, man, if we still had a month ahead of us, we could just wait for her period to come around and we'd be settled! :smalltongue:)

Yawielas
2009-01-09, 06:22 AM
(She's an elf....Wouldn't she have to wait like a year for that? ;) However, no need to wait, if there's any sharp implements around :) )

amanodel
2009-01-09, 12:40 PM
(The were-rat indeed had a shaman for such purposes, who is probably back in Athkatla by now.)

Truwar
2009-01-09, 04:54 PM
Jhaen

That sounds very... exciting Jan. I am very interested to see how your dish turns out. Having been exposed a couple of times to Jansen-Family turnip recipes, Jhaen surreptitiously purchases some dry rations before they head back for Athkatla.

Toliudar
2009-01-10, 08:19 AM
Jan

Oblivious - wilfully or otherwise - to this trivial slight to his gastronomic reputation, Jan continues on with the cooking.

On the trip back to Athkatla, he discusses with the others how to best secure a King's Tear.

The trouble is that most jewelers sufficiently well established to be investing in King's Tears are also likely to be investing in guards. Protection contracts. Poison needle traps. That sort of thing. We could also look at, you know, buying one.

Annalia
2009-01-12, 09:25 PM
Ceria

"Buy one? Do we have that much money with us?" Ceria asked, patting her money pouch in a hurry. "I'd think something really rare like that would cost an awful lot!"

Toliudar
2009-01-13, 12:04 PM
Jan

Jan shrugs.

Well, we can always work out a trade.

Back in Athkatla, Jan will begin beating the bushes for word on jewelers who might have a King's Tear for sale.

And here's where Jan's pathetic social skills begin to bite me in the ass.

Gather information [roll0]

amanodel
2009-01-13, 05:17 PM
Sadly none of Jan's cousins came across, and the other sources were so unreliable, that you ended up in a grocery store. A relly nice, and big grocery store, but they did not have any King's Tears for sell.

Annalia
2009-01-13, 06:00 PM
Ceria

Ceria bought herself an apple and as she happily ate it, she remarked. "Y'know, maybe we should have Tanara changed back before she terrorises half the city. It's fun to see people react to her, but I'm sure she'd like to walk around on two legs again."

Yawielas
2009-01-14, 02:10 AM
Tanara's ears perk up at the mentioning of terrorizing the city, then she grins a feline grin, and nods. Probably better to be able to blend in more. At least as much as a wild elf barbarian could in a mostly human city.

Toliudar
2009-01-14, 10:48 AM
Jan

Noting the increasingly feral look in the cat-girl's eye, Jan nods vigorously.

Quite so. That must needs be our first priority, then. To the sewers, then, to meet up with the wererats?

Since the Coronet has been the site of recent fighting between the wererats and the Shadow Thieves, I'm assuming that the wererats wouldn't simply leave someone sitting around there. If there's a place that Jan thinks is more likely to make contact with the rats, consider him having said that instead.

amanodel
2009-01-14, 02:48 PM
In an unwatched alley, you descend down into the labyrinth what is Athkatla's sewer system. In the dark passages, you feel that you are unable to find the sneaky wererats, but you know that they will find you, and probably they are watching you for minutes, hiding in the shadows around you.

At a relatively large space at the junction of various sewer lines, you spot them waiting for you already.

They are centered around an old-looking albino were-rat, who is in his preferred hybrid form, that others usually find the most disgusting. Probably he's the shaman they told you before.

He doesn't speak, but calls Tanara to him waving his hands.

side note:
(It seems we're back to four. If someone has a reliable friend who he/she would like to play with who likes the current freeformish way we play, I can add a player to the campaign. Preferrably with an old player character, or taking over one of the cooler NPC's like Twitchy Brokk, the halfling wererat, or Anuha, the beautiful Maztican sorceress, but perhaps a completely new character can be possible.)

Yawielas
2009-01-14, 02:53 PM
Tanara approaches him carefully, tail twitching.

amanodel
2009-01-19, 06:27 PM
When Tanara goes closer, the old rat examines her carefully. The wererat is very calm, he doesn't feel threatened next to the huge feline predator that Tanara is right now.

No good, no natural... -he murmurs after a while, but you can't image how being a were-creature can be natural anyways.

He pulls out some dried herbs from a dirty sack, and waits for someone with hands from your group to take it.

Incense - he explains to Tanara, not really looking at the 'normal' people - you have to smoke it every night. It be magical, and you must contact with the source of the magic again, before the incense will be working.

Then he gives a strange bone necklace to Tanara, and puts it on her neck. It is made of fangs and talons, and looks wild and frightening.

This will help little, as well.

Annalia
2009-01-19, 08:42 PM
Ceria

"What's that?" Ceria asked, hurrying to Tanara's side and looking at the necklace. "What kind of animals did you put there? Are you using an obscure arcane magic, or is your thing more divine-y. Do you think I can learn?"

Yawielas
2009-01-20, 02:06 AM
Tanara looks from the wererat to Ceria as the shaman puts the necklace around her neck, and hands the incence to someone with hands. She shakes her head a bit irritably, unable to ask what she wanted to ask. Was this a permanent thing? Would the smoke from the incence only help as long as she breathed it? Not to mention....Why was this happening? A low grumble starts in the bottom of her chest.

Toliudar
2009-01-20, 03:51 AM
Jan

The gnome heard the rumbling in the cat's belly, and feared that it was hunger pangs. It was a dangerous situation.

He stepped forward quickly to accept the incense from the shaman, and attempts to add to Ceria's barrage of questions.

So, not to complain here, but we could use a little more guidance than that in exchange for what we've done. Can you give us any more information about what's causing this, or, say, what this garlic and incense are going to do. Besides make me hungry and a little nauseous?

Truwar
2009-01-20, 04:10 PM
Jhaen

Jhaen nods in agreement with Jan, although he has the sneaking suspicion that they will not get any more information from the shaman. In his experience “Cryptic” was the favorite style of these types of spellcasters. How long do you think it will take before the insense will take effect and what do you mean by “Contact with the source of the magic again”?

amanodel
2009-01-20, 04:57 PM
I do not know, what caused this, exactly, it's up to you to find it. But it was magic. We can find the moon when we are want to contact our source. Find her "moon", what have caused her transformation. By the time you find it, the magic I gave to her will make her strong enough to face it.

The old white rat is cryptic, and speaks like a tricky philosopher would, not really paying attention to everything you say. Then he takes a musical pipe , and handles it to Jhaen. It smells from the sewer, and the brass and wood pipes are decorated with crude carvings of rats.

Take this, if you ever need guidance or help, just play this simple melody, and my kin will come to your aid.

The rat plays a short melody on the pipes. You notice, that all the gathered were-rats turn their attention towards the shaman at the moment he start playing, and focus there with all their attention.

(It's a 'pipes of the sewers' magical item, if any of you've heard about such item, he/she may reckognize it. It has an extra ability: if you sound it in Athkatla, the local wererats nearby will be called to you.)

Toliudar
2009-01-20, 11:49 PM
Jan

Jan bows slightly to the rat shaman.

Thank you, Master Splinter. We will think further on your wisdom and guidance.

He seems about to turn away, then turns back to the wererats.

Erm. You lot wouldn't happen to know someone in town who owns a King's Tear, would you?

amanodel
2009-01-21, 01:42 PM
Jansen was given the advice of consulting with Twitchy Brokk about gems and shineys, who seems to be in control ofsuch business around the were-rat community. The gnome is told that Twitchy is currently doing some business in the bridge district around an ill-reputated tavern called the "Two-horned unicorn".

(Toliudar: for two and a half minutes I was seriously considering four wereturtles as bodyguards for the old rat :) )

Toliudar
2009-01-21, 02:16 PM
Jan

Bowing again, Jan shrugs at Tanara.

Sorry, my friend. We'll keep trying.

He glances around at the others.

So, I'd say we head straight for the Unicorn. There's a shortcut in these sewers, which might help decrease the amount of attention our feline friend might draw. Anyone object if we head there directly?

If not, he will hold up his trusty lantern and lead the way.

Annalia
2009-01-21, 05:21 PM
Ceria

"No objection, but when we get to someplace safe, can I take a look at that flute?" Ceria asked, visibly intrigued by it. "I'm sure I've seen something similar in a book, but I'd need to look through them and I don't want to put them down on the wet ground, you see?"

amanodel
2009-01-27, 04:28 PM
For a couple of copper coins, a young were-rat leads the way until the bridges district, in the sewers. The way, thanks to the rat's guidance, is surprisingly short and safe, but you sstill worry that your clothes gathered up way too much sewer stench that you might desired. If you tried to pay him silver coins, he will insist on either copper or gold. Lycanthropes are not too fond of silver.

Finally, he leads you to a trapdoor that opens right behind the "Two-horned unicorn". If you had some image in your mind how an ill-reputated tavern could be like, you update that image as soon as you see the "Unicorn". It looks like it was destroyed an rebuilt over ten times in the century, yet somehow in still stands. to the left, you see at least half a dozen hookers of every race and nation. The half-orc one in leather suit and whip really shocks you.

In the door, there are two bouncers, who keep an eye out for the hookers as well. One of them is a tough half-orc, who looks like he could break a weaker man by just yelling at him. The other one is a half-elf, who is clearly the mind of the team.

As you head towards them, the half-orc notices you.

No enter here! - he seems pretty happy about being able to boss others around.

Yawielas
2009-01-28, 02:10 AM
Tanara growls at the half orc bouncer, showing her teeth.

Truwar
2009-02-04, 11:05 AM
Jhaen, feeling a bit out of his element, nevertheless eyes the bouncer flatly. We are here to meet a Mr. Twitchy Brokk on business. Tell him we were sent by an albino gentleman. We are in a hurry and have been given permission by our employers to pay a substantial “finder’s fee” to whoever brings us to this Brokk fellow. If we do not give the reward out we will just have to give it back to our employer, so how about we give it to you? At this, Jhaen draws a small bag of coins from his beltpouch and bounces it lightly on his palm.

Diplomacy [roll0]

Toliudar
2009-02-04, 05:58 PM
Jan

Jan is deeply impressed with the young priest's smoothness.

The boy has learned beautifully, and now surpassed the master.

Annalia
2009-02-04, 06:57 PM
Ceria

"Ooh, we had a finder's fee? That's nice! I must have been too busy with the weird shaman to listen." Ceria exclaimed, amazed at Jhaen's resourcefulness.

amanodel
2009-02-05, 06:27 PM
Despite Ceria's willingness to share every detail with the bouncers, they are not really interested in her. As soon as Jhaen shows them the money, the half-elf grabs it, and steps out of your way.

He's somewhere there, but I ain't no refund your money if you don't find him! - says the half-elf as you pass by him.

Sorry guys, I kept receiving timeout error for a week. It starts to get really annoying.

Toliudar
2009-02-06, 05:33 PM
Jan Jansen

Thanks for not giving up on us, Amanodel!

Jan darts quickly between the two half-casts, squinting in the lower light inside to spot that extra-furry halfling...in any of his shapes. Jan trusted the others to follow, but wasn't eager to spend a lot of time with panther-Tanara at the Unicorn.

Spot [roll0]

amanodel
2009-02-11, 12:24 PM
The Unicorn, is even more abandoned and dirty in the inside, than it was on the outside, if it is even possible. Torn, old pieces of furniture stand as tables and chairs, the walls are decorated with numerous carvings like "Billi wus heer", or "I'll kill you Remy if you ever show up here, you bastard!"

The bartender is indistinguishable from the "patrons", who are, just as the furniture, old and weathered. As you look around for Twitchy Brokk, you become alerted by sounds of fighting from the next room, and soon a chair and a bottle flies out of there, and Jansen's barely able to duck from them.

"Take this, scumhead!" - your hear the were-rat's easily reckognizable voice, and hear that a heavy piece of furniture lands on someone.

Annalia
2009-02-11, 05:33 PM
Ceria

"Ooh, scumhead is a bad word. I think Twitchy needs help - maybe we should check on him." Ceria was watching the broken bottle with wide eyes as she spoke, perhaps wondering how Jansen could have such good reflexes.

Toliudar
2009-02-11, 08:36 PM
Jan

Jan glanced up and back at Ceria, wondering - not for the first time - if this mistress of the wind had internalized some of her subject matter.

As you wish, my dear.

Scooting forward, avoiding legs and dropping bits of food - at least, he trusted that it was food, Jan described a careful curve towards the sound of the calamity.

amanodel
2009-02-19, 07:44 PM
Awfully sorry, server troubles keep getting worse, it's half past two in the morning here, and I finally access the boards. :smallsigh:

As Jhaen peeks in the room, he finds that the situation is dire. A couple of thugs got Twitchy and another were-rat like human cornered. They are both in their most hideous, hybrid forms.

The attackers count arount half a dozen humanoids, mostly humans, halflings, and half-orcs, and have unliked features nearly as the wererats, despite them being normal humanoid beings.

They immediately notice you entering into the room.

- Glad you came! Could you lend a hand over here? These bastards are made out of tough stuff. - asks Twithcy in a most disturbing, mouse-like voice.

Annalia
2009-02-19, 08:30 PM
Ceria

"Tough stuff? I'm sure we are made of something even tougher! Like, say, adamantium." Ceria declared proudly as she began the first mystical passes that would boost her allies' speed.

[roll0]
Ceria will be casting Haste for everyone to benefit from. I can get 7, so... Jan, Jhaen, Ceria, Tanara and the werewolves? Yup! :smallsmile:

Yawielas
2009-02-20, 07:59 AM
Tanara growls and leaps at one of the half orcs. The panther makes a graceful, black arch through the air before landing, claws first.

Toliudar
2009-02-20, 10:41 AM
Jan

The gnome winces slightly as their cover was immediately blown. He dives into action, immediately casting a spell.

Thanks for the buff, Annalia!

Initiative: [roll0]

If he acts before the thugs, he'll pick one of the brutes menacing the wererats, one that he has a clear shot at, and cast Scorching Ray at him.

Ray 1
Touch attack: [roll1]
Fire damage: [roll2]
Sneak attack extra fire damage: [roll3]
Add +1 to his attack roll if he acts after Ceria

Ray 2
Touch attack: [roll4]
Fire damage: [roll5]
Add +1 to his attack roll if he acts after Ceria

He then slides backwards behind the bigger folk, pulling out his flasher masher.

If Jan acts after the thugs, he'll instead start by casting invisibility on himself (Defensively if necessary, concentration check: [roll6]), and Move Silently ([roll7]) to one side in the room, drawing his short sword as he does so.

Truwar
2009-02-20, 06:07 PM
Jhaen

Cease this brawling or face the wrath of Lathander! The normally mild Jhaen bellows as he calls upon the aid of the Morninglord, his body seeming to swell to heroic proportions as divine energy pours into him.

Initiative: [roll0]

Casts divine power.

amanodel
2009-03-07, 02:12 PM
Tanra julps on of of the brigands, and bring him on his knees. The surprised man tries to fight back, but has little success against the panther.

Jan's magic hits another one with fire, and as the panicked man starts tunning around, he sets some furniture afire, after Twitchy throw a bottle of heavy alcoholic drink at him, wich fueled the fire even more.

You can feel Jhaen's and Ceria's helpful magic hitting you.

The brigands, seeing that unexpeced help came, try to retreat but you stand in the door, in their way. A brutish looking man draws a huge mace, and tries to charge through Jhaen, but the priest can stand the impact of the charge, and the brigand couldn't pass through him.

Truwar
2009-03-19, 10:10 AM
Jhaen

Remembering his military training and the dangers of fighting a conered enemy, Jhaen moves to the side, giving the thugs a clear avenue of escape. He then raises his mace above his head and invokes the wrath of Lathander, causing his weapon to burst into explosive radiance.

Jhaen casts daylight on his mace, hoping to stampede the already frightened thugs out of the bar. By the way, sorry for the lack of posting, it is just that the forums have been really spotty and half the time I try to post I lose my connection to the forums.

Toliudar
2009-03-19, 10:45 AM
Jan

Hoping not to lose another local establishment to fire, Jan slips in behind the brutish man who was trying to get past Jhaen. Jan carefully slid his blade up into the man's kidney.

Moving into a flanking position for a sneak attack! What fun...Jan never does this!

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] base plus [roll2] sneak attack

If he's close enough to get in a full attack using a 5' step, then the second attack is:

Attack: [roll3]
Damage: [roll4] base plus [roll5] sneak attack

And Truwar - I get that you're trying to let them go. I've got no problem with that idea. But Jan's still acting ahead of Jhaen, so woundn't get that...yet.

Annalia
2009-03-19, 01:17 PM
Ceria

In an attempt to end the fight quickly, Ceria raised her two hands and chanted the words to one of her favoured arcane spells. Grey and blue darts of force flew through the air to slam into the thug Tanara was assaulting with claws.

Magic Missiles: [roll0]
Worst damage ever.

amanodel
2009-03-23, 05:35 PM
I can't believe it, honestly. I could post for my other games, but for this one, I always received timeout, for the last week. Rather embarassing, since even with normal access to the forums, this was not considered to be a fast game...

Totally not catching Jhaen's intensions, Jan backstabs one of the thugs, Ceria and Tanara finish off another one. Twitchy Brokk, seeing the opportunity rising, cuts ankle sinews of a halforc, who collapses instantly.

The others leave him behind, and quickly try to leave the place. Jhaen lets them pass, so after a few seconds, it only you, two dead thugs, a half-orc incapable of moving, and the burning house.

Better get goin'! - yells the wererat, and opens a trapdoor leading downwards.

Toliudar
2009-03-23, 09:33 PM
Jan

Reasoning that, since the other thugs have escaped, there's no point in killing the half-orc either, Jan simply relieves one of the fallen thugs of his purse...

"Erm. Checking for clues! That's it."

...and scurries down the trapdoor after the wererats.

Truwar
2009-04-03, 06:28 PM
Jhaen shakes his head ruefully at Jan's antics and follows the rest down the trapdoor, after stoping briefly to heal the fallen half-orc thug.

Annalia
2009-04-04, 09:35 AM
Ceria

"You know, there's been a lot of buildings on fire recently..." Ceria commented as she headed for the trap. She watched Jhaen heal the half-orc, as if making sure he would follow, before heading down herself.

amanodel
2009-04-04, 10:54 AM
After leaving the burning tavern, you're not really surprised that Twitchy led you to the sewers agian.

Jan finds three golds in the purse of the thug.

Thanks fer showin' up! 'Twas by chance, or you were actually lookin' fer me? - asks the were-rat.

Truwar
2009-04-13, 06:35 PM
Jhaen smiles ruefully at the were-rat’s question. It was not chance, sir. We were sent by to you by some of your colleagues. They told us that you may be able to help us get our hands on a gem called a King’s Tear. I do not wish to sound over dramatic but the fate of the whole city of Athkatla depends upon us finding this gem.

[spolier]Diplomacy: [roll0][/spoiler]

amanodel
2009-04-19, 05:40 AM
Sure thing! - replies the wererat - Meet in the 'Coronet' three days later.

Since you don't have much to do, you wait in the security of the Jansen household. You spend half of the time getting the sewer stink out of your clothes with Ma' Jansen's turnip extract. You spend the other half trying to get the turnip stench out of your clothes.

Tanara's condition, despite the incense and amulet, doesn't seem to change.

After three days, you meet Twithcy in the 'Coronet', who brings the King's tear gem, and some flasks.

We've heard you need some 'precious liquid', but we thought you were too much of a good guys to actually get it. - he says when handing over the flasks - And we invested way too luch energy in this particular case to let you to ruin it.

(Soon moving to the next chapter of the game before it gets really boring.)

Annalia
2009-04-19, 05:57 PM
Ceria

"Oooh, a King's Tear!" Ceria exclaimed, grabbing the gem to examine it more closely. She didn't pay attention to the red flasks, perhaps intentionally, instead putting all her focus in having the light reflect into the precious gem.

Truwar
2009-04-22, 03:32 PM
Jhaen’s normally open and friendly face goes stony at the were-rat’s description of the flask’s contents. If an innocent died to provide the contents of these flasks I am going to extract a price from your people. Your aid so far has been a credit to you but if you have innocent blood on your hands and have forced me into a position to profit from it, I WILL find out and I WILL make you regret it.

Jhaen then turns to Jan, maintaining his calm with some effort. I suppose our next task should be freeing Tanara from the curse she is under. From what the shaman said it appears we will be reentering the shadow world, we visited before.

Yawielas
2009-04-23, 12:21 PM
Tanara paces a bit back and forth, her tail twitching. She sniffs the red flask curiously, then looks at the wererat with feline, predatory eyes.

amanodel
2009-04-27, 09:08 AM
The wererats, even the daredevil Twitchy is a little uneased when standing next to a huge cat.

You've heard about a particalary nasty gang clash at the Bridge District, but Twitchy Brokk claims that it was "ordinary business", and the blood in the flasks are "cool stuff". Altough it's likely that this explanations is not perfect for Jhaen, the were-rat refuses to share the details with you.

In the remaining days, you guard your spell compontents in the Jansen "stronghold", and try to cure Tanara. There was a Shadow Thief attempt to stole your spell components, but the numerous and surprisingly deadly Jansen-made traps drove them away.

It is now the last day before new moon came again, the last chance to look around in the city for either your contacts, or for shopping, before you meet Drega Trajbu, the Sunlord, again.

Annalia
2009-04-28, 04:01 PM
(Well, this sounds like the last chance to spend any money we have. There isn't much on my sheet, but did anyone keep track of party loot?)

amanodel
2009-04-29, 05:53 AM
I guess the party treasure was failed to be tracked for a long time. My fault. Go ahead to purchase any item that isn't too extraordinary, and we'll assume that you have the money.

Truwar
2009-04-30, 02:34 PM
((Also, how about experience points? :smallbiggrin: ))

amanodel
2009-05-09, 04:28 PM
(Sorry, I was without net access for quite a long time, and was kinda waiting for purchases when I was online.)

You've spent the last day, before the nightfall, in the Jansen estate and Copper Coronet, finishing some business with the were-rats. The place was almost completely empty, for the people were intimidated by the ghostly appereances during the previous new moons.

As soon as the sun settled behind the horizon, the ghost-like beings started to appear, and it seems that these appereances are more numerious than it was last time. You are in the streets now, you had to leave the Coronet, as it was closed, just as every other taverns. You see the ghosts appearing around you, and they are moving slowly towards you. You can't really tell if they have malicious intentions or just interested in you, it's hard to guess the facial expressions of the spirits.

Yawielas
2009-05-10, 04:29 AM
Tanara growls softly, her tail twitching at the sight of the ghosts.

Truwar
2009-05-11, 04:12 PM
Jhaen

Jhaen holds tight to his holy symbol and muses that it would be nice to have a paladin’s ability to identify malicious intent, right about now. Nevertheless, the cleric stands ready to unleash the fury of the Dawnlord, should these spirits prove to be something more sinister than simply confused spirits of the departed.

amanodel
2009-05-18, 05:18 PM
When you expected it the least, you find your three old companions, Vorr, Rache, and Erisa appears at the scene, looking for you.

You'd think 'bout going without us? No way I'm gonna miss this! - declares Rache, while Erisa and Vorr nods in accordance.

While the spirits surround you, and slowly, but not violently forcing you to an alleyway, you spot another group appearing at the scene, at the other end of the street. Judging by their clothes and their appereance, you'd say that they are Shadow Thieves. But before you could do anything, a small group of the spirits surround them, and you only see a black flash, and hear an almost unearthly scream of death, and the Shadow Thieves left dead on the streets. Tanara, Jan, and Vorr can see their disfigured face in the darkness, but the humans of the party are saved from that view.

Cornered in the alleyway, you cannot retreat further, and the spirits start to close on you. You don't feel like they are gong to attack you, but even their close presence makes chill run up your spines, and you feel that they could even kill you without wanting to. But just before despair overwhelmed you, there is a flash of light right in front of you. You can see Drega Trajbu, the Sunlord appearing, and the restless spirits immediately back off, only stopping at a good 30 feet away from you, in a circle.

Truwar
2009-05-26, 05:48 PM
Jhaen

Jhaen moves forward and addresses Drega Trajbu. Greetings Sunlord, we have gathered the reagents you tasked us with procuring. What is the next step in averting the spectral disaster you warned us of?

Annalia
2009-05-29, 12:43 PM
Ceria

"Spectral disaster?" Ceria echoed, visibly surprised. "I'd think spirits who kill Shadow Thieves but don't touch us are a bunch of really nice people!"

(Hey, oof, still around! Sorry about that delay/complete abscence! I've been kept rather busy by something else, but it's over now!)

Toliudar
2009-05-30, 11:37 AM
Jan

Jan keeps running his hand nervously along the barrel of the Flasher Masher. This spirit world nonsense was no place for any self-respecting inventor and turnip entrepreneur. Nevertheless, this did seem to have been the moment that they'd be leading up to all along.

"Yes, uh. Niiiice dead people. Caaaalm dead people. That's indeed the spirit of the, spirits."

amanodel
2009-06-09, 01:27 AM
As the high priest Drega Trajbu's spirit appears, the other ones back off immediately.

Good. I am most relieved that you gathered all the ingredients. Let us cast the spell with haste! - calls out Drega Trajbu.

He draws a magical circle on the ground, and places the gemstones, the magical dagger, the three divine relics symolizing law, hope, and sun, the frozen heart of a priest, and the skull of Varage'lo the enchanter into it.

He begins chanting in a language which you don't reckognize. Altough Jhaen could tell that it is most likely a distant, strange variation of celestial.

Meanwhile, the other restless spirits form a circle around you, staring blankly with their unearthly gaze. Yet, you can feel their excitement.

When Drage Trajbu is finished with the spell, a faintly glowing amber light starts to grow from the middle of the magical circle, and in a short time, itsurrounds all of you. - Now hold the feather of the miighty eagle, and drink the blood of the virgins! - he orders you. Jan may have some issues (both moral and gourmand), but Tanara in her current panther form certainly doesn't. Erisa, Vorr, and Rache drink the blood quickly. Erisa is about to throw up, but the dwarven mercenary almost seems that he liked it.

Truwar
2009-06-16, 01:06 PM
Jhaen

Jhaen grimaces and reminds himself that he was promised that nobody was killed to provide the blood required for the ritual. Overcoming his revulsion he drinks the concoction, forcing it down while telling himself it was for the good of the entire city of Athkatla.