PDA

View Full Version : Pull on Weapon Attack?

Rashagar
2022-03-02, 04:43 PM
Random silly question, is there a pull effect that can be applied to a weapon attack?

I know Eldritch Blast can get one, but I'm not really wanting warlock levels, and outside of that all I can think of are push effects.

Trying for a "hook and chain" kind of classic monster trope. Is the Thorn Whip cantrip the only option? (Still not a weapon attack, I know, but...)

ender241
2022-03-02, 05:19 PM
A 3rd level Swarmkeeper can move an enemy 15 ft horizontally once per round after hitting them with an attack. Crusher can also move someone 5 ft in any direction but the attack has to be bludgeoning damage which makes it a little trickier since most bludgeoning weapons are melee. You could do both with a sling, which is a pretty wonderful image. You could also tack on some bludgeoning for any attack roll once per turn as a 1st level dao genielock, for triggering crusher.

Edit: I just noticed your statement about wanting to avoid warlock, so that takes the genie option off the table. Swarmkeeper is probably your best bet then.

Edit 2: There's also lightning lure, but that's pretty similar to thorn whip

Rashagar
2022-03-03, 04:35 PM
Thanks! I've somehow managed to never look at the swarm keeper ranger, and also managed to miss Crusher being able to go in any direction. Time to sling it up! =D

BoutsofInsanity
2022-03-03, 04:45 PM
So on page 195 of the PHB, along with the opening of the combat section in the PHB "Actions in Combat" are RAW text that basically says "Describe actions and make them occur".

On page 195 of the PHB specifically, within the "Contests in Combat" blurb which basically says use Grapple/Shove as a model for actions not explicitly described within the PHB text.

I'd offer the following.

Using a Reach weapon with a cross piece/hook, a whip, ball and chain, or anything that you could reasonably entagle someone, I would say

"During your attack action replace one of your attacks with a pulling attack and make opposed strength (Athletics) versus the opponents Strength (Athletics)/Dexterity (Acrobatics) and pull target 5 feet towards you."

It's basically a reverse shove attack, that requires a reach weapon. While not explicitly RAW as it's not explicitly modeled in the text. The text also Explicitly gives you a vehicle to pull this off, while offering a RAW methodology to do so in the form of Shove/Grapples. Again see the opening sections of combat in PHB and page 195 "Contests in Combat" in the PHB.

Psyren
2022-03-03, 08:03 PM
So on page 195 of the PHB, along with the opening of the combat section in the PHB "Actions in Combat" are RAW text that basically says "Describe actions and make them occur".

On page 195 of the PHB specifically, within the "Contests in Combat" blurb which basically says use Grapple/Shove as a model for actions not explicitly described within the PHB text.

I'd offer the following.

Using a Reach weapon with a cross piece/hook, a whip, ball and chain, or anything that you could reasonably entagle someone, I would say

"During your attack action replace one of your attacks with a pulling attack and make opposed strength (Athletics) versus the opponents Strength (Athletics)/Dexterity (Acrobatics) and pull target 5 feet towards you."

It's basically a reverse shove attack, that requires a reach weapon. While not explicitly RAW as it's not explicitly modeled in the text. The text also Explicitly gives you a vehicle to pull this off, while offering a RAW methodology to do so in the form of Shove/Grapples. Again see the opening sections of combat in PHB and page 195 "Contests in Combat" in the PHB.

Indeed. There's a lot of ways to give martials Nice Things in this edition that people tend to overlook.