PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Nymph Subrace based off the Amazons

Orcadohr
2022-03-03, 04:28 PM
I originally came up with this race for 3.5e and they were designed to be really powerful enemies for the campaign I was running at the time. I'm running a new campaign now and I'm trying to turn them into a playable race. I fear that they're still overpowered, but I also don't want to take away too much of what I loved about them.

Currently, they have a +2 to Charisma and a +1 to Wisdom. A walking speed of 35 feet. They can walk through difficult terrain with ease, as long as it's in a forest or caused by plants. They have an advantage to hiding in wooded areas. They can talk with plants and animals native to forests. Are proficient with bows, spears, and shields. They have Darkvision, Keen Sense, Fey Ancestry, Trance, and Blinding Beauty (originally from 3.5e).

I have them scaled as 1 class of "Monstrous Humanoid", but I wonder if that's not enough or if I'll just have to weaken them. I'm still getting used to 5e.

VoxRationis
2022-03-04, 03:51 AM
I have to say, aside from the mechanical considerations, I'm somewhat confused as to the description of "nymph subrace based off the Amazons" description. D&D nymphs, with so heavy an emphasis on beauty, seem diametrically opposed to the Amazons, a tribe named after the removal of a secondary sex characteristic in the name of martial practicality.

If I were particularly concerned about stripping them down to size, I would start first with the weapon proficiencies -- eliminating them would do little damage to any combat-oriented NPCs (and thus most likely preserving the perceived capability of any people in your existing setting) while making the race somewhat less attractive to non-martial PCs.