PDA

View Full Version : What does "sangehirn" mean, anyway?

Tzardok
2022-03-04, 07:56 AM
Exactly what it says on the tin. I recently re-read the Mind's Eye articles, and now I'm hung up on this. Why is the sangehirn called a sangehirn, and how is that supposed to be pronounced?

Eldan
2022-03-04, 08:07 AM
Probably just a nice sounding word, made up of several other words. "Sang" is blood in French, "Gehirn" is "brain" in German, so Blood Brain -> Healing. Or maybe it's "San" for holy, so Holy Brain. It also sounds like Sanhedrin to me, but that's probably unintentional.

Beni-Kujaku
2022-03-04, 10:00 AM
I concur with "saint brain", considering the lore. You'd pronounce it san (like the japanese honorifics)- ge (like gay but with a closed "e", closer to the "e" in "hey") - hirn ('i' like "ship", all letters pronounced).

If you use the french interpretation, with "sang+gehirn" for "blood brain", then sang is pronounced with a nasalized "an" sound, much like Dante's name, or "quantity", and the 'g' is silent. Of course, since it is followed by 'gehirn', you end up pronouncing the 'g'. In the end, you pronounce it san-ge-hirn, but with 'an' as a single sound instead of 'a'+'n'.

Ramza00
2022-03-04, 10:13 AM
Probably just a nice sounding word, made up of several other words. "Sang" is blood in French, "Gehirn" is "brain" in German, so Blood Brain -> Healing. Or maybe it's "San" for holy, so Holy Brain. It also sounds like Sanhedrin to me, but that's probably unintentional.

Like Eldan I think it is a made up word and I would like to echo the direction he was in and add another point of similarity. san greal is 1300s French that becomes English and is the word for Holy Grail. I think they picked a prestige name that is not a literal word but instead sounds like literal worlds since this is fantasy and fiction.

Tzardok
2022-03-04, 10:30 AM
I concur with "saint brain", considering the lore. You'd pronounce it san (like the japanese honorifics)- ge (like gay but with a closed "e", closer to the "e" in "hey") - hirn ('i' like "ship", all letters pronounced).

If you use the french interpretation, with "sang+gehirn" for "blood brain", then sang is pronounced with a nasalized "an" sound, much like Dante's name, or "quantity", and the 'g' is silent. Of course, since it is followed by 'gehirn', you end up pronouncing the 'g'. In the end, you pronounce it san-ge-hirn, but with 'an' as a single sound instead of 'a'+'n'.

I know how to pronounce "Gehirn", thank you. I'm German. :smalltongue:

I just asked for the way other people pronounce it because, well, I didn't really think that people would use German for stuff like that and English pronouncition always trips me up.

Zombimode
2022-03-04, 10:52 AM
It also sounds like Sanhedrin to me, but that's probably unintentional.

And I always read "Sanhedrin" as "Sahne drin" :smallbiggrin:

For those who don't speak german, that would be colloquial for "contains cream" :smallsmile:

Eldan
2022-03-04, 12:18 PM

I just asked for the way other people pronounce it because, well, I didn't really think that people would use German for stuff like that and English pronouncition always trips me up.

Knowing English speaking people... Sänsch Hörn?

SpyOne
2022-03-06, 11:43 AM

Lifelong native English speaker here: I would have pronounced it exactly as he instructed. :)
Emphasis on the first syllable, kinda like an Italian place name.
San Marino, san-gehern. Only a bit faster to show it's one word.