PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Sorlock in an upcoming campaign

Nerdguy88
2022-03-04, 09:42 AM
A friend of mine is starting a campaign and sent over the starting item rules. I am planning to play a sorlock and was trying to decide what items to pick up. Here is the rules he sent over for items.

1 point per starting level to buy magical item(s) with:
4=legendary
3=very rare
2=rare
1=uncommon
1/2=common

We are starting at level 9 so I have 9 points to spend. What are some solid magic items I could pick up.

I was thinking of getting a Bloodwell vial, robe of the archmage, and staff of the magi.

Bobthewizard
2022-03-04, 09:51 AM
That is a crazy amount of magic for level 9. Have a great time with it. Those are good choices. I might recommend a staff of power over the staff of the magi. It has less charges but I like the spells better. That would let you either bump up the bloodwell vial or grab a broom of flying.

If you plan to use eldritch blast a lot, a rod of the pactkeeper might be better than the bloodwell vial.

Nerdguy88
2022-03-04, 09:56 AM
If you plan to use eldritch blast a lot, a rod of the pactkeeper might be better than the bloodwell vial.

I was thinking of EB which is why I was getting bloodwell. A +6 to hit from my items on top of high stats is crazy(+2 from robe, +2 from staff, +2 from bloodwell). Thanks for pointing this out!

ender241
2022-03-04, 10:19 AM
Illusionist's Bracers would let you cast EB twice a turn without having to quicken. Opens up some other uses of your sorcerery points.

Nerdguy88
2022-03-04, 10:36 AM
Illusionist's Bracers would let you cast EB twice a turn without having to quicken. Opens up some other uses of your sorcerery points.

oh my I didn't know these existed!

Khrysaes
2022-03-04, 02:50 PM

I was about to suggest these.

They are very rare, but from Ravnica so often arent allowed.

If you have a paladin level, OR a cleric level, the amulet of the devout, From tasha’s, doesnt specify spell casting class for their spell. It may stack with the vial and/or staff

Edit:
Notably bloodwell wont work on EB unless you get it to be a sorcerer spell somehow. Rod of the pact keeper wont work on sorcerer spells.
Amulet of the devout works on both. Though the bonus sorcery points from bloodwell is nice. If they stack you can get staff of power a Very rare. Amulet +3 very rare, and illusionists bracers, very rare, for 9 points and have +5 to hit, damage, and dc of sorcerer and warlock spells.

Another option would be a +2 amulet of the devout and a +1 vial, so +3 to sorcerer spells and +2 to warlock, not counting other items. Gets you the bonus sorc points from vial, but benefits both eb and sorc spells more than a +3 vial. Which again, doesnt affect the eb.

Also as a cleric or pally dip you get medium armor and shields.