PDA

View Full Version : Experience or suggestions stringing a number of small modules into a campaign?

MarkVIIIMarc
2022-03-04, 03:39 PM
We're wrapping up a couple year now tier 4 campaign and talking about the future. The party handed me Tales from the Yawning Portal to run for this campaign. We strung a pretty cohesive world by inter connecting the dungeons and throwing in some randomness. A few character deaths, didn't help cohesion, but it was fun.

Some of the BIG world encompassing books like Storm King's Thunder, Curse of Strahd and the Ice Queen have felt a bit meh and impersonal to me as a player so I'm not looking for one of them necessarily but perhaps a dozen "4 night" or "4 shot" adventures for all levels. What is it I should call what I'm looking for and any suggestions?

5eNeedsDarksun
2022-03-04, 04:00 PM
If you want something that's kind of loosely connected, but not too much, then Ghosts of Saltmarsh might be up your alley. 3 of the mods are a series, but the rest are just themed around watery adventures based out of a small town. Our group liked it when I DMed; you can definitely make as much of your own content as you want. I added a lot of ship based stuff and there is some good structure for that sort of thing in the book.

Chronos
2022-03-04, 04:10 PM
Don't feel shackled by existing modules. The longer a group plays in the same world, the greater the effect they'll have on that world, and the greater the effect they have on the world, the less it'll be the world other modules will be expecting. Be prepared to make some adventures of your own, maybe cribbing bits and pieces from other modules, but reflecting the world as they have made it.

KorvinStarmast
2022-03-04, 10:35 PM
We're wrapping up a couple year now tier 4 campaign and talking about the future. The party handed me Tales from the Yawning Portal to run for this campaign. We strung a pretty cohesive world by inter connecting the dungeons and throwing in some randomness. A few character deaths, didn't help cohesion, but it was fun.
I have run a party from Sunless Citadel to Forge of Fury to Shrine of Tamoachan to Yellowcrest Manor (Candlekeep Mystery) to (soon) White Plume Mountain with a few self made adventures/options thrown in for good measure. (Roll20 had a gith adventure that came with Mord's, I ran that with the regular party)

Have a few self generated encounters to flesh things out. It's fun and enjoyable to create the connective tissue between published set pieces.

Khrysaes
2022-03-05, 03:33 AM
More work, but you can also try to adapt older or third prty adventure paths. Paizo has many for 3.5 and/or pathfinder.

For example 3.5 eberron has four or five with grasp of the emerald hand, shadows of the last war, and a couple others.

There is accross eberron. It has 13 adventures that i think are connected.

Some other AL one shots may be easily connected or at worst give you inspiration.

I think the al eberron ones may have some connection between them.

Then there are some full adventures on dms guild like journey to the center of the underdark, call of the deep, journey of the spirit-walker.